SaltCritters.com

15 gal Coldwater Dual Biotope

Jamie

bleh. This tank is starting to annoy me. I think it might be leaking again. I can't find wet spots anywhere, but I'm adding water every other day to keep the water level up. The sg has dropped to 1.018, suggesting that there is saltwater leaving the tank, and it's being replaced by freshwater. I've now started topping off solely with saltwater in an attempt to fix that problem. I'm thinking about maybe just taking it down and setting up a smaller tank. I don't know, it just seems like it's getting to be kind of a hassle. I'm also having issues with scratching the acrylic - the algae that grows on it is impossible to get off without at least a few scratches, and they're beginning to build up. meh... maybe I just need to wait longer for thew tank to mature, idk. Opinions?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bleh. This tank is starting to annoy me. I think it might be leaking again. I can't find wet spots anywhere, but I'm adding water every other day to keep the water level up. The sg has dropped to 1.018, suggesting that there is saltwater leaving the tank, and it's being replaced by freshwater. I've now started topping off solely with saltwater in an attempt to fix that problem. I'm thinking about maybe just taking it down and setting up a smaller tank. I don't know, it just seems like it's getting to be kind of a hassle. I'm also having issues with scratching the acrylic - the algae that grows on it is impossible to get off without at least a few scratches, and they're beginning to build up. meh... maybe I just need to wait longer for thew tank to mature, idk. Opinions?

:unsure: so you got this worked out yet??

No, I've been so busy the tanks just been sitting there, doing it's thing. It's actually quite self sufficient, I just throw a cube of cyclops in every day, and add water every few days after it disappears for whatever reason. I still can't tell if there's a leak or not. It could just be lots of water splashing out, but it hasn't been like this before.

No, I've been so busy the tanks just been sitting there, doing it's thing. It's actually quite self sufficient, I just throw a cube of cyclops in every day, and add water every few days after it disappears for whatever reason. I still can't tell if there's a leak or not. It could just be lots of water splashing out, but it hasn't been like this before.

well, if it makes you feel better...i've got the same kinda thing happening, but i cant find any leaks, wet spots on the carpet, stand, or equipment. just see the water drop maybe a millimeter a day.

Clearly someone has been stealing our water.

And the new addition is currently acclimating. :) would like to get pics tonight, but I'll have to get the algae off the acrylic first!

Anemone is in tank and happy! :D He attached faster than anything I've ever seen. The nems here take 20-30 minutes to attach to something, and it takes a few days before it's difficult to peel them off again. The second this guy's foot hit the rocks he stuck, and it only took a few seconds before he was fully attached. I turned on the surge to make sure, and he isn't going anywhere. Unfortunately, he's in a terrible place to take pictures. I got all the algae off the acrylic, but it's still not perfectly clear, and the water seems a tad murky, too - probably just all the tiny bubbles from the surge - you usually can barely see the back of the tank, and he's about halfway or 2/3 the way back. So, no pics of him for now, but I got a random top down (no algae on the surface!) to make up for it.

DSC_0041.jpg

Anemone is in tank and happy! :D He attached faster than anything I've ever seen. The nems here take 20-30 minutes to attach to something, and it takes a few days before it's difficult to peel them off again. The second this guy's foot hit the rocks he stuck, and it only took a few seconds before he was fully attached. I turned on the surge to make sure, and he isn't going anywhere. Unfortunately, he's in a terrible place to take pictures. I got all the algae off the acrylic, but it's still not perfectly clear, and the water seems a tad murky, too - probably just all the tiny bubbles from the surge - you usually can barely see the back of the tank, and he's about halfway or 2/3 the way back. So, no pics of him for now, but I got a random top down (no algae on the surface!) to make up for it.

DSC_0041.jpg

YAY!!! Sounds like he's happy then!!

Conveniently, he'll move from wherever he is now, so you shouldn't have any problems getting a pic ;)

And if he ever attaches to the point it's difficult to get him off, I'll be amazed. Seems like they always attach fully, but dont grip very well.

Nice shot too :D

Well, I hope he doesn't wander into any of the anthopleura's, they're pretty potent. :o

And I hope to get an fts today or tomorrow. I think I'll turn the surge off now, and see if the water clears up before dark.

Well, I hope he doesn't wander into any of the anthopleura's, they're pretty potent. :o

And I hope to get an fts today or tomorrow. I think I'll turn the surge off now, and see if the water clears up before dark.

he can handle himself ;) darn tentacles are like superglue

Well I was trying (and failing) to get a good fts, so I have a mildly disgusting one for you, but I got bored doing that, so I started taking random shots of things that were far away with the lens extender. So they're basically really out of focus. aka Awesome! (well, not if you hate abstract art). I also tried another method, so see if you can guess what it is.

So, here are the fts's

DSC_0049-2.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

A couple nem shots

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

Abstract! (ooh, this would make a good screen saver!)

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

And my secret method. It's actually pretty obvious (and somewhat nauseating) but whatevs

DSC_0076-1.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

The nem has moved some. I think it ran into an elegant, it was closed and the other looked po'ed. I'm not sure who won; they're both still right next to each other, so maybe the battle isn't over yet.

omg i LOVE it!!!

it's so exotic, like something right out of the zoo!!!

and all those nems are amazing!

i iz jealous.

purdy.

Thanks to both of you!

Cool stuff :)

nem stays closed a lot anyway, so no big surprise there. I'm puttin my money on my little red guy ;)

heh. Elegant definitely won. Early in the evening I saw the red after it's second battle with the elegant. It was covered in white "scars" where the elegant had stung it. The elegant's defensive tentacles were all puffed up, too. Later in the evening I checked on it again, and the red was just gone. I finally found it on the opposite side of the tank, literally as far as possible as it could be from the other nem. Fortunately it's in a better place to get pictures now, but I haven't gotten to that as of yet.

looks like there's a clown wig on top of your rock

lol, I know. That algae is crazy. I can rip it all out, and in two or three days it looks exactly like that again. :rolleyes:

Well, he seems happy with his new spot. He seems to like the surge too, he's always open during the day (surge goes off at night though). And no one has attacked him since, which is good. I'll try to get pics soon - I can't tell how busy I'll be the next few days though so we'll have to see.

Also, unrelated. I think it was this thread I mentioned this in earlier, but if not whatever. The pipefish breeding project is going through, so I have bunches of pipefish (well, six. Soon to be eight) in tanks in my basement. I've even seen some "signals" (head jerks and stuff) that I think are breeding behavior, so I'm hoping for eggs! Here are a few mediocre pics of them. I'll eventually start another thread though.

DSC_0082-2.jpg

DSC_0085-1.jpg

DSC_0088-1.jpg

How cool! :o

Why does your sunpod have one leg? :P

Haha. It's literally frozen to the fixture with salt creep. I thought of taking a hammer to it, but I'd probably accidentally smash the light or something. It's not hurting anyone where is is, so I figured I'd just leave it. :P

and btw, all the pipes are eating frozen cyclops - none of them had any problems with dead food!

Haha. It's literally frozen to the fixture with salt creep. I thought of taking a hammer to it, but I'd probably accidentally smash the light or something. It's not hurting anyone where is is, so I figured I'd just leave it. :P

and btw, all the pipes are eating frozen cyclops - none of them had any problems with dead food!

hammer? :huh:

how bout a little water? much less violent ;)

Meh... I've never been a fan of logical solutions, but I guess I could try that.

's ok...feel free to use the hammer...but please make video of this for our enjoyment :D

Archived