Cultivated Reef

Klarion's Tongan Scape

klarion

Welcome Fellow Reefers

Finding this forum finally swayed me to take the plunge and set up a nano-reef system. I was especially inspired by great tank threads that were helpful and entertaining. Especially H20's AquaPod 24 gallon Nano Tank thread and steelhealr's 24G Nano Cube DX Startup, Setup, Manual for newbies.thread here

Retro Edit

I'm posting an update here to show where my tank is currently. I started this thread when the aquarium was still fresh water and bloged the entire process of conversion to a Reef Nano.

Current FTS

DSC01503.jpg

Set Up

15 Gallon High Tank

Rapids Pro Filter with Auto Top-0ff Replaced with a HOB filter and Tunze nano Protein skimmer

Current USA 80Watt Fluorescent Fixture Replaced with 150W Sunpod HQI (in the works)

Maxi Jet 900 with:

Hydro Flo rotating wave maker

1 50W Heater .

Dosing

Iron

Inhabitants

Chocolate (Clarkii) Clown

Six Line Wrasse (added 2/20/08)

1 Yellow Clown Goby

2 Astrea Snails

5 Cerith Snails

1 Margarita Snail

1 Nerite Snails

SeveralTiny Nassarius Snails (Eaten by Hermits, argh - I had to see that)

Banded Coral Shrimp (RIP)

Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab

Blue Leg Hermit Crabs

Emerald Crab

2 Pom-Pom Crabs

1 Striped Serpent Star (Bali)

1 Urchin

Sixline.jpg

Clown3_Web.jpg

AstreaontheGoforWeb.jpg

RedLegs.jpg

MargaritaSnail.jpg

Cerith01copy.jpg

witheggsack.jpg

YCG.jpg

Corals

Purple Mushrooms

Red Marble Mushrooms

Baby Torch (hitch) got overgrown by blue Mushrooms

Yellow Polyp colony

GSP

Green Center Zoa (hitch)

Pom Pom Xenia (baby)

Mushroom Leather (deceased)

Brown Mushrooms

Random Polys (pic below)

Green Striped Mushrooms

zoas215copy.jpg

TorchHitcher.jpg

ZoaHitcher1.jpg

Original Post Continued (from the beginning)

I was torn between getting a Nanocube/Aquapod setup and retrofitting my existing 15 gallon high tank, but since I already had it and because of the budgetary considerations, I decided to go with a retrofit.

It's still housing some plant life, but hasn't had any fish for a while. I kept it running after my last occupant (Angel Fish) died of old age, I think :huh: . Here is what I'll be working with:

15gh2.jpg15gh.jpg15gh1.jpg

I will try to bring the driftwood/plant combo to my LFS or if someone is interested, I will give it away gratis.

Since I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck, I looked for equipment on Ebay. It's a risk that I take knowingly. Hopefully, things will work out for the best.

Here is what I got to complement my tank and stand:

1. A ProSeries4 Rapids external trickle filter with an overflow, protein skimmer (I know it's controversial) http://www.tomaquarium.com/press/proseries...lish/index.html

(on Ebay for $122)

2. Current Orbit 80 Watt 20" fluorescent light fixture (Ebay $65). Current Orbit

I thought of going with a clamp-on Metal Halide, but my fish tank has a very limited space in the back to attach the filter and everything else. So, I'll probably suspend the light from the ceiling and since the light is longer, I might fit it with barn-door attachments to channel the light into the tank.

3. R/O Filter from Water General (Aquarium Reef 110GPD RO+2DI) (Ebay $100)

All of this stuff should arrive next week, but meanwhile I'll post pics from my previous (8 years ago) 55g SWF tank. I will appreciate any comments and suggestions. Wish me luck! :)

Edited by klarion

Here are some critters that have blessed my aquariums in the past. I shared curating a 55g Marine Fish Aquarium, a rift lake tank, and an amazon fresh water tank in the last 10

years.

Riftlakeciclid.jpg

SingleAngel.jpg

My favorite buddy, the yellow watchman. He had a nice cave to guard.

Yellowwatchman.jpg

marinefish1.jpgClownfish.jpg

Banded Coral Shrimp. I had a mated pair that produced eggs from time to time.

Bandedcoralshrimp.jpg

PS. All the pictures are of actual critters that at one point or another lived in my tanks.

Edited by klarion

Nanocube/Aquapod pros and cons

When deciding on how to set up my reef tank I drew up this list:

Pros:

Beautiful Design,

Many features for the price,

Unobstructed view (equipment hidden in back),

Rounded corners (better side viewing)

Popularity (more people commenting on posts),

Saves Space

Many Mods possible

Cons:

Shipping and Breakage (many tanks arrive cracked)

Stock design Lacks flow (needs mods)

Extra cost for a nice stand

Metal halide doesn't have a tank cover (not great if you have curious pets)

Why I went with a 15g retrofit:

Already have tank and stand so there is no waiting or cracking to speak of.

I like the vertical reef setup

Got stronger lighting/filtration for same price (using Ebay)

Any one can add to the pros and cons?

We can start a new thread......

Klarion

:welcome: to Nano-Reef!

From this and other posts of yours that I've read, I know you'll fit right in and I definitely look forward to following your progress.

I wonder if a poll has ever been done to determine how many of us come to SW from the FW hobby? Maybe it's so common that it goes without saying...At any rate, that FW planted in your pics is beautiful...

Afraid I can't add to your pros and cons, as I've never had experience with an AIO. I read a lot of threads about them, though, and some of them result in super nano-reefs. Far as I can tell, it boils down to individual preference...But I wonder if anyone's posted an ultimate cost after all the recommended mods are employed? :)

Have you rec'd any of your new gear?

--Diane

Klarion

:welcome: to Nano-Reef!

From this and other posts of yours that I've read, I know you'll fit right in and I definitely look forward to following your progress.

I wonder if a poll has ever been done to determine how many of us come to SW from the FW hobby? Maybe it's so common that it goes without saying...At any rate, that FW planted in your pics is beautiful...

Afraid I can't add to your pros and cons, as I've never had experience with an AIO. I read a lot of threads about them, though, and some of them result in super nano-reefs. Far as I can tell, it boils down to individual preference...But I wonder if anyone's posted an ultimate cost after all the recommended mods are employed? :)

Have you rec'd any of your new gear?

--Diane

Hi c est ma,

and thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm surprised that it took me so long to return to reef tanks. I used to be the biggest nerd about it. So much so, that I had "reef aquascaping" as an entry in my resume B)

Not sure if that got me any jobs......

My main reservation was about the price of setting up a tank, but that was before AIO's and Ebay. I think that the hobby is much more affordable now than 10 years ago and I'm also a lot more experienced than before, so I'll probably mess up less...

I too love many of the Nanocubes/Aquapods from Nano-reef members. They're super tanks. For me, It would have been significantly more expensive to get one. I would need to add a protein skimmer and extra pumps plus a stand and probably some unexpected necessaries.... As it stands, I spent about the same amount and got exactly what I needed.

The equipment is coming this week. R/O unit is in transit from Anaheim, CA as we speak and should get here by Thursday. Once all that stuff is in, I'll post detailed pics of my set-up process.

Thanks,

B

Hi c est ma,

and thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm surprised that it took me so long to return to reef tanks. I used to be the biggest nerd about it. So much so, that I had "reef aquascaping" as an entry in my resume B)

Not sure if that got me any jobs......

LOL! Depends on the job, eh? :D (It would impress me if I were an employer!)

...As it stands, I spent about the same amount and got exactly what I needed.

A frequent sentiment amongst the non-AIO crowd here. To each his own.

Hope you find a taker for the FW scape components...

FWIW, I have a crypt in my 10g FW that's around 20 years old...

--Diane

Update

All the major components have arrived last week.

I moved the tank to my room. It turned out that the floors in my room are not even, sloping, so I used several heavy duty felt tabs to even out the tank and converted an old stereo cabinet to hold the fresh water refill tank. Also, I think I underestimated the size of the filter. It's rather large. I can only imagine how loud it will run and guess if I'll get any sleep.

PICT4188.jpg

Next. There is no more issue with my FW drift wood and plant. I felt really bad about getting rid of it because the fern thrived for almost a decade in my tank, so I did what I'm sure many of you have done as well. I got another 10galon tank from Petland and set up a home for it as well.

PICT4184.jpg

A couple of days ago I installed my R/O unit in-line under the sink. It's working well so far and I'm slowly filling the 15GH with water. I don't know how safe this is, but I'll mix the salt in the tank before I run all the filters. That's the most practical solution for me since I'm not home for any length of time (other than at night). Even on the weekends I have to work (musician).

PICT4197.jpg

I didn't show the plumbing connections because they're really tough to photograph (behind the sink tank). They were just as uncomfortable to install because I could not pre-assemble the diverter valve since there was no room to rotate entire assembly behind the sink. But, if people are interested, I'll take some pics of it later.

Really, I just followed the detailed instructions from the manufacturer.

More to follow soon...............

Incidentals Are the Key

or Keep your eyes on the prize and write down purchase lists.

Since I mentioned cost as one of my concerns, I'm listing the running tally on my tanks. That includes incidental purchases that were not planned and some things where I've just gone overboard from excitement. I just love gadgets :).

Home Depot trip:

Crazy Glue - $1.97

"Homer Bucket" - $4.98

Tidy Bucket - $4.47

Plumbing Adapters

(ended up not using any. Lesson: write down sizes of pipe threads, make decision for type of installation before shopping) - $31.79

Spur of the moment trip to Pet Land to get the 10g tank for driftwood/plant:

$19.25 because I got some filter media for the Hagen 150 HOB filter as well.

Minor Hardware including Felt Pads to level out the Tank/Stand - $15.00

Online order from DrsFosterSmith.com:

Silicone Tubing 20' $3.99

Hagen Thermometers $2.39

HoldFast Epoxy Stick 4 oz $7.99

OSMO Prep Marine 1000 g $9.89

Phos-Zorb 5.25 mesh bag $4.49

Test Kit Saltwater $14.39

Hydrometer $8.49

Vinyl Tubing 3/4" $9.69

Aquaball Powerhead $17.59

Rotating Deflector FLO $12.99

Thermometer (Digital) $6.99

Algae Scrapers $9.99

Self-Fastening Media Bags $2.99

Power Center Single Digital $24.69

Active Filter Media $11.99

Reef Master Test Kit $20.79

Hand-held Scraper $6.99

Wood Airstone (2 pk) $3.99

Nature's Ocean Reef Sand

and Reef Substrate $24.99

Subtotal = $205.31

Total Amount Spent on Incidentals: 282.77 :o

Thankfully, I just had a birthday and was flush with cash: Russian tradition, when in doubt--give cash!

Is it Russian or universal? I don't know..........but I'm still thankful for it. :D

Looking good so far. Can't wait to see the tank as it gets set up!

Thanks, me too.

I'm just itching to go, but trying to stay prudent and not rush into things, to do everything right.

I'll be running and cycling by the end of this week. I will probably use the method mentioned in the articles on this forum and seed the biological filter with some organic matter from a dead shrimp or something.....

I like this concept because it seeds the heterotrophic bacteria first and that helps (when adding the live rock) to cycle it faster with less die-back on the live rock since some of the bacteria are already present.

Great start. That tank's already looking beautiful--I love the dimensions!

Glad you decided to save your driftwood & fern. It's way too pretty to dispose of. Looks nice in the 10g.

How Russian are you? :D

Took a peek at your homepage. Was a little cryptic but sounds intriguing!

--Diane

Great start. That tank's already looking beautiful--I love the dimensions!

Glad you decided to save your driftwood & fern. It's way too pretty to dispose of. Looks nice in the 10g.

How Russian are you? :D

Took a peek at your homepage. Was a little cryptic but sounds intriguing!

--Diane

Thanks, Diane

It's a bit ironic that I'm running a nano-reef picture thread, but so far the only new pictures I have of a working tank are FW. I put my Current 80W lighting unit on it to see what it will look like. Pretty good, I think

PICT4408.jpg

I'm taking it slow with the setup to make sure things go right from the start. WE'll see.

I was born in Ukraine but raised Russian, though I'm also American (citizen) since I've lived here for the larger part of my life: 17 years. When I go to visit my friends and relatives in Ukraine, they say I'm more American to them! Go figure....

I use the homepage listed in my profile when I deal with clients. I run a non-profit music and art company and most of the time the clients hear about it from me first and the web-page makes more sense that way. I'm working on building a site from that.

Thanks for your support,

Boris

Tank will be set up soon and pics are coming..................

Another Arrival.

I think my tank situation is full of ironies so far. I got the salt mix in the mail and R/O water is ready, but I still have not received mixing equipment and hydrometer.

The Salt Mix I'll be using.

SaltArrival.jpg

My Source water must be really dirty and polluted with additives. I filtered a total of maybe 20G so far and here is an update on how the R/O filter looks. The Sediment pre-filter is taking on a decidedly brown color already and the first carbon block is turning darker too.

Before and After

ROupdate1.jpgROupdate.jpg

It's Canopies For Me

The other day my cat princess came in to look at the new 15G, but couldn't find access to it because of all the stuff I had spread out around the tank. Pretending that the tank doesn't interest her any more, she went over to look at the other one.

Princessandtanks.jpg

Princessandtanks1.jpg

A closer inspection followed:

Princessandtanks2.jpgPrincessandtanks3.jpg

Then, a trip over the book shelves with 2in. of clearance and the satisfaction of having outwitted me (I was taking pictures):

Princessandtanks4.jpgPrincessandtanks5.jpgPrincessandtanks6.jpg

And finally this:

Princessandtanks7.jpgPrincessandtanks8.jpg

OH, the humanity.....

Anyway, she didn't like the lack of solid surface to land on, so I don't think she'll be going there again, but I'll put on a barrier just in case... She didn't fall in by the way. Ended up balancing on those thin tank walls.

Looks like things are coming along for you very well, keep us posted. I have a one year-old nephew that likes to get into the aquarium stuff now. Lucky for me, he can't jump on top of the tank.

Finally, I got all the items I needed: tests, heaters, power heads, etc.

The water had been sitting in the tank for a week now with a piece of meat for the heterotrophic bacteria.

I added the live Carib sand two days ago which came packaged with water in the bag. Nice.

The filter has been set up and running and I did some tests today:

Specific Gravity 1.022 at 77f

Ammonia - 0.5

Nitrite - 0

.....ate - 0

Alkalinity 9-10dKH

Phosphate - none

PH - 8.2-8.4 (I can't tell the difference on the strip) :huh:

Calcium is low though - 240-260mg/L

Live Rock is coming tomorrow. I will need to fix this Calcium situation soon. Any suggestions?

Tanks: Half way through. Waiting for Live Rock

ReadyforLiveRock.jpgTankReadyTogo.jpg

Edited by klarion

Your picture documentation is great! I love threads like this.

LOL, got a kick out of your kitty. So...feline. :) ("Oh, the felinity?") And that FW tank is simply gorgeous.

I'm glad you finally received all your goodies and your tank is looking great.

Sorry, I'm no Ca expert. I have heard that different salt mixes yield different Ca levels...there are probably threads here on that. Of course there are all kinds of ways to dose, but I should think you'd want to wait till you have your LR and some time has passed before deciding whether to do so...but again, I've had little experience in this area...

Looking forward to updates!

--Diane

-Diane,

Your posts always cheer me up. It's the humorous interjections here and there that do it.

LOL, got a kick out of your kitty. So...feline. :) ("Oh, the felinity?")

I could even say "the felicity" because of the satisfaction my cats get when I turn everything upside down. The other cat knows better than to jump on a tank full of water though.

Here she is (both of them).

Catsguide.jpg

I have heard that different salt mixes yield different Ca levels...there are probably threads here on that. Of course there are all kinds of ways to dose, but I should think you'd want to wait till you have your LR and some time has passed before deciding whether to do so...

I have a suspicion that my CA levels are lower because the R/O filter is so effective. When I will start water changes, I plan to use the Kent Marine R/O reclaim chemistry to add CA, MG and other trace minerals that the R/O unit removes.

I might have to do a lot of W/C because I bought uncured live rock (coming tomorrow) after reading some of the posts here. I do remember loving to watch the minuscule life that develops on those rocks.

:D I'm so excited to finally start digging the gravel, I can't sleep

Edited by klarion
Klarion, good to see another Rapids Pro user out there. how's it working out for you so far?

Thanks for the post PurpleUP

It's working well so far. The filter has been running for a couple of days. I bought it used on Ebay and had to replace some of the hoses, but I would like to get original ones from the manufacturer. Do you know if they're selling them?

The skimmer is already picking up s.*&^. The true test will start tomorrow with the addition of uncured live rock. Also, it's a bit noisy right now (more than I'm used to since it's in my room), so my first mod is going to be to sound proof the filter. My sister was over today and called it a pumping station :)

cheers,

Boris

Edited by klarion
-Diane,

Your posts always cheer me up. It's the humorous interjections here and there that do it.

I could even say "the felicity" because of the satisfaction my cats get when I turn everything upside down. The other cat knows better than to jump on a tank full of water though.

Here she is (both of them).

Catsguide.jpg

"Guess who?" :P That made me laugh out loud! And I love Masha's expression! (Russian name?) (BTW, we have 2 cats, too. We just recently lost Dimitri, a beautiful black cat...our "Black Russian." :))

I have a suspicion that my CA levels are lower because the R/O filter is so effective. When I will start water changes, I plan to use the Kent Marine R/O reclaim chemistry to add CA, MG and other trace minerals that the R/O unit removes.

I might have to do a lot of W/C because I bought uncured live rock (coming tomorrow) after reading some of the posts here. I do remember loving to watch the minuscule life that develops on those rocks.

:D I'm so excited to finally start digging the gravel, I can't sleep

Sounds like you know all you need to about Ca!

Wow, rock coming in so soon! I'll BET you're excited! Yes, DO go for "soft cycling." My favorite part of reefing is the hitch hikers. I hate the idea of killing them according to the traditional cycling "conventional wisdom."

--Diane

Edited by c est ma
"Guess who?" :P That made me laugh out loud! And I love Masha's expression! (Russian name?) (BTW, we have 2 cats, too. We just recently lost Dimitri, a beautiful black cat...our "Black Russian." :))

Sounds like you know all you need to about Ca!

Wow, rock coming in so soon! I'll BET you're excited! Yes, DO go for "soft cycling." My favorite part of reefing is the hitch hikers. I hate the idea of killing them according to the traditional cycling "conventional wisdom."

--Diane

Yes, I've been conditioning my tank to have some bacteria already present when the live rock comes to handle some extra denitrifying duties. Yes, it's true that I might get some unwanted hitch-hikers, but isn't it the point for many of us-to tinker with the tanks..........?

Masha is short for Maria (Russian) and we also lost a cat recently (we had three). It's always tough when that happens :(