Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

I had not done a WC on the juvies tank yesterday and I felt a tremendous pressure today to make sure it happened. It's been tough as my mom in law is in hospice care in our home. Tuesday the nurse told me she is in the very last stage and it won't be long. There are so many family members that I need to keep updated and it is very time consuming and of course Mom still needs constant monitoring to make sure she is comfortable. I am happy to minister to her but it's hard to keep up my other responsibilities. I finally got to it a little while ago. Whew, one day at a time!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone. Mom passed gently in her sleep in the early hours of Friday morning. God was gracious to her and us. I am keeping up with my critters but it's been a challenge with people coming to the house, going through Mom's stuff and such. Today should be more like normal until her memorial service in 2 weeks.

Amazing.ı love them...

Seahorse tank nitrate level?

Banded Pipefish eating mysis?

Thank you.

Hi Oje! The nitrates in my seahorse tank and reef system are between 10 and 20 ppm. That's higher than I would like and I am hoping my new oversized skimmer will help with that when it breaks in.

Yes, my banded pipefish eat mysis and come to the feeding dish just like the seahorses. They are captive bred so they came to me trained to eat frozen.

Sorry about your loss. :(

Thanks kimber!

My deepest condolences to you and your family. I'm glad she passed away peacefully.

Thanks Natalia!

Hi everyone, I've been busy reorganizing our lives. Lots of loose ends to wrap up, so it's been a hectic. The aquariums and their inhabitants are all well.

Hi everyone, I've been busy reorganizing our lives. Lots of loose ends to wrap up, so it's been a hectic. The aquariums and their inhabitants are all well.

Good to hear, and I hope everything continues to go as well as can be expected. :)

I had been keeping up with WCs but it had been awhile since I wiped the glass or cleaned the powerheads. The 2 small pumps in the SH tank were plugged with cheato remnants. Once cleaned the seahorses parked in front of the outputs and hung on for dear life! Who says seahorses don't like strong flow? Both tanks were pretty filmy but a good scrub down did wonders. I was pleased that there was no cyano or GHA.

Well the baby seahorses, (that are mostly grown) have all been placed to go to new homes. It was kind of sad to see them go but they are going to be well cared for and that was my biggest concern. It will be nice to just care for my display tanks.

I guess you're feeling like an empty nester! But I'm sure it's a relief to have them all adopted :)

I do feel like an empty nester! My husband said now I will have lots of time to focus on him. LOL It was kind of sad to look in their tank and see it empty, though.

:):(

You did an amazing job though taking care of those babies!

Thanks kimber, it seemed like a lot of work while I was doing it and I was sure that I'd never do it again. Now looking back it still seemed like a lot of work but the reward was tremendous and I probably will do it again. :-)

I just have 1 more hectic weekend to get through with 15 people coming in Friday to stay at our house for Mom's memorial service on Saturday. Then I will catch up on what is happening with all of your tanks!

Well the memorial service is over and I am sure Mom would be pleased. It was cathartic to have so much family in and share stories and catch up. All the kids enjoyed the aquariums and it was fun teaching them a little about marine life.

Now to the business of determining what my new life looks like?

Well the memorial service is over and I am sure Mom would be pleased. It was cathartic to have so much family in and share stories and catch up. All the kids enjoyed the aquariums and it was fun teaching them a little about marine life.

Now to the business of determining what my new life looks like?

More tanks, for sure. :)

More tanks, for sure. :)

Ha ha, I am not too sure my hubby is on board with that. It's tempting until I start thinking about vacations and motorcycle roadtrips.

Ha ha, I am not too sure my hubby is on board with that. It's tempting until I start thinking about vacations and motorcycle roadtrips.

A bigger tank then. More stability, less to go wrong during long motorcycle trips! :D

A bigger tank then. More stability, less to go wrong during long motorcycle trips! :D

Spoken like a true addict! And we can quit any time we want...NOT!!! Actually I did toss around the idea of upgrading the seahorse tank to a 60g cube. Shhhh! Don't tell my hubby.

Archived