Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hexadron's Nitoralis [Retired]

Hexadron

Very nice!

Thanks :) I just can't for the life of me get the colors in the photos right today. I'll try to describe how they look in real.

The first one has blue tips and is currently a brownish color.

Second one is a blueish purple with lighter blue tips/edges by the polyps. A tad browned out.

Finally the third one is kind of a lilac/purply color with what looks to be greenish/yellow polyps. There hasn't been any significant PE on that one yet, but I can see them poking out a smidge! :P

I forgot to take pics of the fourth one, but it was a small cheap-o frag that is greenish/brown. Really all of them have potential, but none have great coloration (yet!)

I will be dosing Zeo Amino Acid concentrate a few times a week and Pohls Coral Vitalizer as well. The main thing is figuring out light requirements for these guys, and adjusting their height/my fixture intensity accordingly.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear that jordan..

Damn... Sorry dude, I'm really surprised he didn't make it.

Thanks guys. It's really sad because late last night he was walking around the tank looking heaps better. I come home, and he's at the bottom. I still am not certain what happened, but at least he isn't suffering anymore.

Great shots of your SPS!

Thanks Ark. I am really itching to get a macro lens though. I just feel my shots are not as sharp as they could be with a proper lens. Right now i'm using extension tubes, reverse lenses and Macro lens caps. I do what I can :lol:

Thanks Ark. I am really itching to get a macro lens though. I just feel my shots are not as sharp as they could be with a proper lens. Right now i'm using extension tubes, reverse lenses and Macro lens caps. I do what I can :lol:

I wish I could drop 500 dollars on some macro glass as well. I don't think it is in the cards however :( I think you are doing very well with what you have.

Nice. I can't see myself investing in a macro lens at this point. I would rarely use it, bugs and flowers, aren't my thing. Your doing nicely with what you have. I'm considering extension tube as well. awesome tank :)

Tell me about extension tubes and what not... I have a Sigma 18-200mm lens on my DSLR and I have a cheap 4 piece screw on close-up macro lens set that I normally put the 2x lens on the end for close ups. I'm not a photo guru but I'd love to be able to take better photos but I'll never drop any amount on a true macro lens.

Sorry about Jacques.

Ironically, my skunk cleaner just passed away too (and his name was also Jacques lol)

Lot of personality so I'll probably be getting another

Thanks for the kind words everybody :flower: At least I know Jacques isn't in pain or anything anymore.

Well as of yesterday things were great (besides Jacques of course) corals were good, even some Polyp Extension coming out on two of them!

Today I wake up, and two of the corals are RTN. The one with blue tips and the small green one. Jesus! Usually cause of RTN is swing in parameters - from what I researched, mostly salinity issues and Alk swings. I tested all parameters today and here is where they stand:

250pk01.png

Nothing seems lout of the ordinary here, and the other two corals that were showing PE are doing great. If anything my Nitrate would brown them out a tad, but cause for RTN? Was it just un healthy frags, or just couldn't get used to my tank? I also checked calibration of my Refractometer, and it's still perfect.

I was so worried because i'm getting my other frags delivered today! I am a little relieved after testing, so I am sure it's not the parameters. Either way I have a 25% water change being mixed up right now, and since the other two are doing better than fine, i'm trying to be at ease...

I ended up fragging the RTN affected corals, and ended up with 1 small frag of the green, and 3 small frags of the blue tipped.

Thanks for the kind words everybody :flower: At least I know Jacques isn't in pain or anything anymore.

Well as of yesterday things were great (besides Jacques of course) corals were good, even some Polyp Extension coming out on two of them!

Today I wake up, and two of the corals are RTN. The one with blue tips and the small green one. Jesus! Usually cause of RTN is swing in parameters - from what I researched, mostly salinity issues and Alk swings. I tested all parameters today and here is where they stand:

250pk01.png

Nothing seems lout of the ordinary here, and the other two corals that were showing PE are doing great. If anything my Nitrate would brown them out a tad, but cause for RTN? Was it just un healthy frags, or just couldn't get used to my tank? I also checked calibration of my Refractometer, and it's still perfect.

I was so worried because i'm getting my other frags delivered today! I am a little relieved after testing, so I am sure it's not the parameters. Either way I have a 25% water change being mixed up right now, and since the other two are doing better than fine, i'm trying to be at ease...

I ended up fragging the RTN affected corals, and ended up with 1 small frag of the green, and 3 small frags of the blue tipped.

That does suck Jordon. If you think about it, your parameters are much different then what you last posted, even though they are inside the acceptable limits. Why did your mg drop so much? Normally mg is very stable as it's not consumed much if at all. Although your dosing will be minimal if your not stocked heavily, you should still commit to a weekly or dosing program. So perhaps if you do your water changes on Saturday then maybe you should dose Ca on Tuesday and Alk on Wednesday.

At lease you ended up with a few frags. Did you dip the fragged corals?

That does suck Jordon. If you think about it, your parameters are much different then what you last posted, even though they are inside the acceptable limits. Why did your mg drop so much? Normally mg is very stable as it's not consumed much if at all. Although your dosing will be minimal if your not stocked heavily, you should still commit to a weekly or dosing program. So perhaps if you do your water changes on Saturday then maybe you should dose Ca on Tuesday and Alk on Wednesday.

At lease you ended up with a few frags. Did you dip the fragged corals?

Oh regarding the mag, I actually tested incorrectly last time. I am using the Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro kit, and didn't repeat step 2 5 times as indicated. I'm surprised I got a reading at all. Going by that though, I have no idea what mag was at before :mellow:

I dipped all the corals upon receiving them, but did not dip them today after fragging. I figure they are probably stressed enough as is - and didn't want to risk anything. I have been keeping a close eye on them for any pests, and taken a few close up shots to inspect on my monitor, and found nothing.

I have the things required for dosing ready at hand. I am just going to have to test more frequently for the time being I suppose. Thanks for the suggestion. I usually do water changed Sat or Sunday.

On a lighter note:

hs41g4.png

whats getting delivered!? :ninja:

2ur6lus.jpg

Just a box :D

I have found that corals normally open up better after a good dip which is why I was asking.

Ah gotcha. Well since it's RTN, i'm not going to risk it. I may dip later on as well just in case any made it past the first one. For now though, i'll just let them be.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Very nice, hopefully the plasma and the ... other one with green tips (two very similar to ORA versions) are much, much, MUCH heartier than the ORA ones i paid $70 each for... then stn'd in weeks lol....

im sure they will be, ORA did not work out for me :(

Ugh I hope so as well. Especially since two of my other frags decided to nearly bite the dust. I have to say though, i'm currently temp acclimating them, and the Stylo is so bright pink! I love it!

As long as they are healthy, I don't care if they brown out a bit (which i'm sure they will) I haven't perfected my lighting yet, so it's expected. I seriously need to rethink my scape as well. I don't have enough surface area for all these guys :lol:

Deleted User 4

Moar, moar moar!! Muahaha. :)

Ugh I hope so as well. Especially since two of my other frags decided to nearly bite the dust. I have to say though, i'm currently temp acclimating them, and the Stylo is so bright pink! I love it!

As long as they are healthy, I don't care if they brown out a bit (which i'm sure they will) I haven't perfected my lighting yet, so it's expected. I seriously need to rethink my scape as well. I don't have enough surface area for all these guys :lol:

What rescape?? Noooooooo!!! Lol.

Archived