SaltCritters.com

Hexadron's Nitoralis [Retired]

Hexadron

You got it. I plan on using nearly all the rock I have already. I will be adding some more to it, but it will be dry rock I'll most likely leave all the rock in there in pieces so there is no spike in parameters while the new rock is seeded.

Don't worry Illu. Still minimalist, but just different.

How do you plan on keeping it minimalist after you drop a skimmer and / or reactor in there?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you plan on keeping it minimalist after you drop a skimmer and / or reactor in there?

Well the entire body of each is hidden in my back chamber, so you will just see a few inches of the top of the skimmer and reactor on each side. I'm not concerned at all. Right now - I mean you see the ends of cords, sensors tubes (ATO) and that anyways. The display is completely clean though :D

Well the entire body of each is hidden in my back chamber, so you will just see a few inches of the top of the skimmer and reactor on each side. I'm not concerned at all. Right now - I mean you see the ends of cords, sensors tubes (ATO) and that anyways. The display is completely clean though :D

Ok, sorry I missed that. I thought that you were having trouble finding ones that fit in your chambers.

Ok, sorry I missed that. I thought that you were having trouble finding ones that fit in your chambers.

No worries. Luckily the IM Skimmate Desktop Skimmer fits perfect with a bit of room to spare! Many of the other Nano Skimmers were just a smidge too big, and I wasn't sure how many modifications I could do with them without seeing them for myself. When I get it in i'll post pics.

At least it's black to match the rest of my equipment :lol:

No worries. Luckily the IM Skimmate Desktop Skimmer fits perfect with a bit of room to spare! Many of the other Nano Skimmers were just a smidge too big, and I wasn't sure how many modifications I could do with them without seeing them for myself. When I get it in i'll post pics.

At least it's black to match the rest of my equipment :lol:

That's the downside of the PLS-50 being white.

That's the downside of the PLS-50 being white.

Given the skimmate it produces though, I would be willing to sacrifice aesthetics for that kind of performance! I'll have to do a review on the IM one though.

Given the skimmate it produces though, I would be willing to sacrifice aesthetics for that kind of performance! I'll have to do a review on the IM one though.

I hear you. I was so close to getting it but my Tunze got back in gear. Traditionally, I'd have to fiddle with it and it skimmed great for a month, crap out, I'd fiddle with it again and it would be great for another month. Then I'd be lucky if I got a week of decent skimmate so I was really getting tired of it. I was about ready to say I've had enough when I first got word of the PLS-50 but ever since late April my Tunze has been skimming like champ nonstop. I suppose however that in time it will crap out and I'll be tired of it enough to get a new one. Best of luck with your IM!

Performance is what counts for certain things in this hobby... All protein skimmers are ugly

lollol That's what she said. :haha:

The best looking protein skimmers still get covered, literally, in shit after a few days of use.

Yes precisely! It's gonna collect gunked up fish poop, how nice can something look with that in it :P That's what i'm saying though, with people thinking it will ruin the lines of the tank... I'm not getting it for that - but for functionality!

Deleted User 4

Here is an inspiring minimalist sps tank. Hope you like!!

(new video uploaded Sep 2, 2013)

As you can see, the rockscape is short and small which allowed the sps to further expand its growth and size in an outwardly fashion.

Deleted User 4

Thats a Zeo tank.

Probably not minimalist.

It is minimalist. Started out as minimalist scaping. Those sps grew out massively.

Edit: Wow, you edited it and added "Unless you mean the aquascape...very nice indeed."

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still throwing ideas in my head, but one thing for sure is I want two distinct 'islands' :) When I get my epoxy in, I think i'm gonna have at her.

In other news, I cleaned all my pumps, wetsides, heater, overflows, glass and hoses today. Holy balls. Sooo much gunk in those hoses - especially considering I just cleaned them not quite 3 months back. Such a noticeable difference in flow as well after a thorough soak and scrub in 30:70 Vinegar to Water.

I also changed my light Program today. It felt a little too dim, and seeing how my coals aren't fading or lightening up - I think the increased intensity will be a good thing.

Time A B

9:30am - 0% 5%

12:00pm - 17% 27%

2:00pm - 30% 45%

5:30pm - 25% 35%

9:00pm - 17% 27%

10:30pm - 0% 0%

edit: changed percentages a tad

jedimasterben

I would be very, very careful with raising your lighting percentages. Raise them no more than 5% every week, and preferably every two weeks.

I would be very, very careful with raising your lighting percentages. Raise them no more than 5% every week, and preferably every two weeks.

Hmm, good point. Maybe I was too adventurous with my previous timings. I reduced the percentages a tad. My overall Photo period is reduced as well, with the plan to have a higher peak between 2:00pm and 5:30pm.

I'll raise it 5% per week as you suggested ben. I know you know your LED's. A few of the SPS are browning out a bit, while the others look the same as when I got them.

I would leave your photoperiod exactly as you want it to be and only change percentages.

Well I figured my overall photoperiod was longer than it needed to be. I am basing my values off a user on RC who has had the Razor for over a year now, and has amazing colors and good growth on his mixed reef. Obviously there are a billion other factors involved, that would contribute to his overall tank, but you gotta start somewhere!

I'm using less than half the power he outputs at currently (given that my tank is a nano) I'll just have to see how the corals react in time. He based his settings to emulate that of a 14k Pheonix MH bulb :) I'm digging it so far.

jedimasterben

As long as your photoperiod is 16 hours of on/off light (as in not dimming), then you're probably not giving too much. My photoperiod is 16 hours, but the light is at peak for only around 6 of those, the rest of the time spent is ramping from 0% to 35%.

Well I figured my overall photoperiod was longer than it needed to be. I am basing my values off a user on RC who has had the Razor for over a year now, and has amazing colors and good growth on his mixed reef. Obviously there are a billion other factors involved, that would contribute to his overall tank, but you gotta start somewhere!

I'm using less than half the power he outputs at currently (given that my tank is a nano) I'll just have to see how the corals react in time. He based his settings to emulate that of a 14k Pheonix MH bulb :) I'm digging it so far.

Show me a razor that comes anywhere close to a 14k Phoenix MH.

I run a 150w 14k Phoenix on my other nano and there is just no comparison with LED. The beauty of the tank in it's entirety is simply amazing. That being said, LED has many other advantages over MH besides color.

jedimasterben

You'd be very surprised to see what LEDs are capable of. Keep in mind that only a handful of people that use LEDs and take pictures of their tanks are using DSLRs and know how to make it look like the tank does - in person can be night and day versus how it looks in pictures.

I never said it was close. I just simply stated that he based his settings to emulate a 14k Phoenix... I don't know, either way, it looks pretty great to me. Here's a snippet from one of his threads at RC, and a few pics.

I recently moved my 90-gallon reef into this 67-gallon Miracles Rimless aquarium. It has been setup for two weeks now and all seems well for the most part. I wanted to share some photos of the tank under the new MaxSpect Razor 16K LED. I am still "tweaking" the settings on my camera and in the RAW developer in PS. The photos are close, but not an exact representation of what I'm seeing. The biggest challenge is achieving the brightness of the light without blowing out highlights. Overall, I am really impressed with the looks of the light - it can be tuned to look very close to a 14K Phoenix bulb - my favorite halide.

FTS2.jpg

TopDown10.jpg

Toadstool.jpg

I know, I have some work to do :ninja:

I can't wait to get my epoxy in so I can rescape. My order doesn't ship out until Friday though, then I have to wait for it to get here...

Archived