Top Shelf Aquatics

Hexadron's Nitoralis [Retired]

Hexadron

Like Gena Said, pink streaked are pretty shy, but especially in a tank your size I think you would see it a lot more than Gena does in her 45 gallon. 10 is perfectly adequate size. Putting a 6 line in a 10 gallon would be pushing it tho...and that could definitely make one even more aggressive. I could easily see one going after your TSB after its comfortable.

I know nothing about the swissguard so can't help ya there

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh I had a firefish and I hated it. Sat in a back corner behind a rock for about 6 months and then got shredded by my mp10...gross? yes. Upsetting? not really

Also they are big time jumpers

I've always kept firefish. My current pair I've had in my Aquapod since it finished cycling over a year ago. They are always out front when the light is on but spend their night in the live rock.

I run topless and they have never jumped.

Bah! Just checked with my LFS and they don't have any Swissguard basslets or Pink Streaked wrasses :( I've had a pink coco worm on order for about 3 months as well and still nothing.

You American's are lucky! So many sources. Anyone have experience with shipping of fish/inverts? Any luck? I think that may be my only option.

I was hoping my LFS had one in stock to help with my choice lol. Looks like neither right now though. It's on my (ever growing) list of special orders though :lol:

Just have to wait I suppose. Hopefully my LFS can get it in. I don't like one of the other LFS in my area as much, but I could check with them too.

I think i'll stop by this weekend and see if they have anything else appealing :D

Well to be honest the majority of my LFS's have a pretty cruddy selection of coral overall. When they do have a nice SPS peice it is never labelled correctly and they always charge (IMO) waaay too much. I have a much better selection online - but the place I would order from is renovating and not open yet. That's probably where I will be getting my choice SPS.

I'm going this weekend to see if there is anything good at the LFS. I am fine with a mixed reef of course, but it doesn't help that i'm ridiculously picky :lol: It was also confirmed that coral shipments come 'whenever' so it's really hit or miss.

Well to be honest the majority of my LFS's have a pretty cruddy selection of coral overall. When they do have a nice SPS peice it is never labelled correctly and they always charge (IMO) waaay too much. I have a much better selection online - but the place I would order from is renovating and not open yet. That's probably where I will be getting my choice SPS.

I'm going this weekend to see if there is anything good at the LFS. I am fine with a mixed reef of course, but it doesn't help that i'm ridiculously picky :lol: It was also confirmed that coral shipments come 'whenever' so it's really hit or miss.

You do realize that most LFS prices don't come close to online prices? Some specialized coral places have great prices but still more than online prices. But when you add $39 to overnight a frag plus the cost of the frag, normally the LFS price wins in the end. Combine that with the fact that you can physically see the frag in person at your LFS, plus people often form relationships with their LFS. IMO the only time it pays to order online is when you intend to make a bulk purchase or you can't find that specific purchase elsewhere.

You do realize that most LFS prices don't come close to online prices? Some specialized coral places have great prices but still more than online prices. But when you add $39 to overnight a frag plus the cost of the frag, normally the LFS price wins in the end. Combine that with the fact that you can physically see the frag in person at your LFS, plus people often form relationships with their LFS. IMO the only time it pays to order online is when you intend to make a bulk purchase or you can't find that specific purchase elsewhere.

There's a little more to LFS than a website and warehouse, of course I realize the price difference, and why it's there. I'm talking about this. Online SPS Frag ~$25 (This is for an average 2"-3" Frag of a nicer piece) One of my LFS tried to charge ~$50 for that same piece. Now that's double the price. So even with shipping, it's still a cheaper choice online.

I much rather see in person the corals not to mention, I am not a fan of shipping live items, but sometimes you gotta do whatcha gotta do.

I do agree about it only really being worth it when doing a bulk purchase. For me, I would when buying lots of heavy dry goods and a bucket-o-coral :) I just have to be patient in my neck of the woods. Reefing here isn't big business like some cities.

I just buy my corals from lfs unless I can find better deals on ebay, which hardly ever happens since I'm in California.

I much rather buy from LFS, not only to support them, but to see them in person as well. It's not only the cost, as I know where the costs breakdown to - but selection. For the past 6 months it has been dreadful for SPS; LPS is a different story - but i'm not looking for those at this time.

Some great finds in Cali for sure. ;)

Well not many updates, but today I changed my light schedule to reflect the following:

Time A B

7:00am - 0% 1%

10:00am - 20% 30%

1:00pm - 35% 40%

4:00pm - 20% 30%

7:00pm - 0% 15%

10:00pm - 0% 0%

Two reasons i did this, one: is to acclimate my livestock (and me!) to the brighter light, and two: is to see if I can grow any algae! Sheesh, I mean I feel lucky that I don't have algae issues, but dang, i'm not even running a ULNS and I still can't grow the stuff! :P

pink streaked..sounds nice. Pygmy wrasse is awseome, mine is bolder and is seen quite a bit these days out front hunting pods, sometimes using the rhodactus mushroom as an umbrella. So cute.

Thanks for the suggestion Marie. I'm going to take a look at some fish as well at the LFS this weekend, as they are getting a shipment tomorrow. Maybe i'll go against my usual self and be spontaneous! :haha:

Okay so I got a bit impatient this morning and placed a small coral order :D I'm still looking forward to going to my LFS this weekend, but just in case, I wanted a back-up plan. :lol:

Okay so I got a bit impatient this morning and placed a small coral order :D I'm still looking forward to going to my LFS this weekend, but just in case, I wanted a back-up plan. :lol:

Quarantine?

Quarantine?

Nope, not this time. I'm going to dip and hope for the best. I definitely was over-thinking it in the past...

Have you been dosing Calk?

Nope. My params have stabled. I have them on hand in case I need to dose though. Obviously the biggest thing is keeping parameters stable. I'm not too worried about growth as I am with a stable environment, then i can shoot for growth and increased params (if required)

Deleted User 4

Is this you pretending to know about sps husbandry lol

Lol, not pretending... I actually don't know other than the time when I was working at the lfs, we would always dose bionic 2 parts in the sps only tank.

Archived