Top Shelf Aquatics

Hexadron's Nitoralis [Retired]

Hexadron

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that's an awesome update, Jordon!!

Love that arch, looks great with the rest of the scape, and your pics are top notch, but you knew that already, lol :)

Awesome sponge you have growing there! :D

Thanks. It's really the size of a tip of a pencil, but who knows, maybe i'll be able to keep it alive and healthy!

Okay, no lockdown :lol:

Awesome pics Jordon, Lenny is to die for :wub:

:D

Lenny is such a weirdo.

Now that's an awesome update, Jordon!!

Love that arch, looks great with the rest of the scape, and your pics are top notch, but you knew that already, lol :)

Thanks :D I still have to figure out what to do with the liverock I added. It's honestly full of Aiptasia <_< I bought some Aiptasia-X, but not sure if I should just keep the liverock in the tank for 3 months to get the 'good stuff' then get rid of it, and then work on any strays, or try to get them all and keep the rock. There's probably a good dozen or so in there.

Haha, I need to know if my photos are okay. I have limited livestock to take pictures of :P You all will get bored soon :lol:

Great pics.

If there's aiptasia on some of the liverock, it won't stay confined for long (probably already spread) Treat it as you see it.

I figure as much. It's mostly condensed on one rock.

Anyone with experience with Airpasia-X think I should remove the rock to treat it (in a bucket of salt water) or just leave it in the tank to treat it? They are small softball-sized pieces of rock so easy to remove.

It's safe to treat it in tank but aptasia is so hard to get rid if once it has become established in a tank. It will literally take over if left unchecked, kill anything that even looks like one now before it's too late.

I will be treating it tomorrow hopefully. Thanks for the tips guys. I just received Aptasia-X today :)

Speaking of packages... I got my Vortech MP10w ES and wireless module to make my other MP10 ES into a wireless one as well! I just finished setting it up, and have it set to EcoSmart Tidal Swell Mode. It's amazing how fast the livestock react to changes. They are exploring more just from the change in waves. Sweet.

After putting the new MP10 in, I realized just how dirty my wetside is for the one on the back :lol: I'll be doing a nice cleanup of pumps and that this weekend.

I'm too cheap to shell out for another plus wireless on both. I'm waiting on the Jabeo Phoenix Group-Buy to come in: they are replacing my old controller on the WP25 with a new one that includes variable speed control. (The current speed turns my Solana into a blender.) I'm hoping the wave action adds a little something to the tank because to be honest the single MP10 didn't live up to the hype I had built in my head.

That sux. I love my mp10. It's probably the best investment I've made second to the AI Nano. I ran it on reef crest for a while and now I'm doing nutrient transport mode and so far the coral seem to love it. The wave action is pretty cool too. I can't imagine one mp10 not being enough for you. Mine would completely desimate my sand bed if I turned it full blast. The highest it goes is 60% in my tank and even at that the sand is slanted now.

I figure as much. It's mostly condensed on one rock.

Anyone with experience with Airpasia-X think I should remove the rock to treat it (in a bucket of salt water) or just leave it in the tank to treat it? They are small softball-sized pieces of rock so easy to remove.

I had some breakout and used X for about a month to no avail. They kept coming back. Hype recommended taking out the rock and applying superglue gel over them. Worked like a champ! Bye bye aiptasia!

I find the Aiptasia-X doesn't always work the first time, it helps to just keep at them. I think the issue is they need to ingest the Kalk or what ever it is in the Aiptasia-X, sometimes you touch the aiptasia anemone just before you inject, the anemone retracts before it ingests and the treatment doesn't always work. This is why you have to keep at them, over and over. In my experience it does work, just not always on the first try.

BTW: You can make your own Aiptasia-X by just using concentrated Kalk, it should be the consistency of paste, inject the same way.

Christine

I watched a video, basically from what I seen is that they do have to 'ingest' it and then after about 5 seconds kind of implode on themselves. Pretty neat to watch :lol: I'll give it a shot and see.

Stay away from Aiptasia-X and use super glue. Aiptasia-X looks effective but it breaks the anemone into smaller bits, those pieces then re-generate.

Aiptasia x worked for me. They closed up before I got real close to them so they didn't even ingest it, I just put a giant blob over them.

I have used Aiptasia RX and have had mixed results. I have diluted the paste down more with some tank water and injected it directly into the flesh, that worked much better for me anyway. If they are in a hard to reach place I agitate them and cover their hole with some super glue.

Red_Blenny

How's the Fauna Marin Ultra Power Phos working out for you? I've been curious about it for a long time and thinking picking some up once I finish using up Warner Marin Phosar.

Polarcollision

Thanks :D I still have to figure out what to do with the liverock I added. It's honestly full of Aiptasia <_< I bought some Aiptasia-X, but not sure if I should just keep the liverock in the tank for 3 months to get the 'good stuff' then get rid of it, and then work on any strays, or try to get them all and keep the rock. There's probably a good dozen or so in there.

Boiling water in a syringe for the aptasia. Several good long shots for each. It is super satisfying to watch them melt away and never come back. Just sayin. ;-)

Boiling water in a syringe for the aptasia. Several good long shots for each. It is super satisfying to watch them melt away and never come back. Just sayin. ;-)

We need video :lol: I never tried it and was curious how it worked.

There's a pretty good one on YouTube that I watched a while back, it's pretty crazy how the aptasia just disintegrates. The way I watched it done was you shoot the boiling water at it, then immediately suck it back in to remove the pieces of aptasia.

Polarcollision

We need video :lol: I never tried it and was curious how it worked.

There's a pretty good one on YouTube that I watched a while back, it's pretty crazy how the aptasia just disintegrates. The way I watched it done was you shoot the boiling water at it, then immediately suck it back in to remove the pieces of aptasia.

Someone send me aptasia and I'll make a video. I've got nothing left to melt... Unless you count this warm glow in my heart from beating that pest. :-) I tried it out after taking a microbiology class. Heat and acids to denature proteins, so I figured boiling water should do the trick. Just boiled about a quart of tank water so it would stay hot for a long time and then used one of those elos test kit syringes to deliver the bioling water to the aptasia. It took about 3 full syringes to shrivel up and then I kept at it a little longer to make sure everything was truly denatured and nothing but slime. The slime eventually washed off the rocks, never to be seen again. The coraline near it turned bright orange and died too. Same story for the hair algae nearby - toast. Probably not something to do near a prized coral! :-)

Archived