Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hexadron's Nitoralis [Retired]

Hexadron

I personally don't have any problems with hermits. Heck, I even have a coral banded shrimp in my one tank. The smaller hermits such as blue legs are the least aggressive but the larger ones can be a pain in the butt. I've never had one damage a coral or bother anything. Most corals close up when the crab walks on it but open right up afterwards. The biggest thing with crabs is that they may steal food from other slow eating corals. Specifically, they can be a pain with my sun coral. But that's no different then my army of nassarius snails that also aggressively seek out food and steal it from corals as well. Occasionally, a larger crab may get ahold of an underachieving snail and steal it's shell. This would be the exception as most healthy snails can fend off the crabs.

The only snails that crawl out of my PicO are nerites but generally they eventually learn.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checked back in after a hiatus myself. Glad to see your still around.

I reduced my ELOS tubing to 1/2" Outside Diameter tubing and it works flawlessly still. The water does kind of jet into the tank a bit, shoots out about 5" and I have it pointed slightly downward to bounce off my front glass. It doesn't overpower my Koralia or stir sand or anything.

Stock this thing!

Glad to be back :) Although I know I won't be quite as active right now as I would like to be for the next few months, i'm excited to start stocking this fall. I haven't really went to any LFS this entire summer due to my insanely busy summer lol. Thanks for the tip, I think I will attempt that ;)

Still waiting for shoe pictures honey...

LOL Kat. I'll see what I can russell up this weekend.

Can't you dial down the power of the pump on the Elos? Otherwise if you have the line submerged in a rear chamber then you don't have to worry about it blasting anything (or looking at it for that matter). Basically the pump needs to be powerful enough to cover the head pressure depending on the height of your tank & stand in comparison to the location of your ATO reservoir.

The Tunze has a potentiometer that you can access inside the cover. Some people don't know it's there because you have to remove the cover to access it although the instructions are in the manual. I set mine so that it is just powerful enough to pump, but as little flow as possible.

I don't think there is any sort or switch or anything on the supplied pump for the ELOS. Like you mentioned though, i'm actually going to move it to one of the back chambers where it won't disturb anything. At the highest point my tank is maybe 3.5 feet from the reservoir, which is well within what this pump can do for head pressure.

I haven't tried to open the pump, but I don't think the pressure will be an issue if it's shooting in the back. If anything it will stir up some detritus which can be carried away to the filtration. BONUS!

I personally don't have any problems with hermits. Heck, I even have a coral banded shrimp in my one tank. The smaller hermits such as blue legs are the least aggressive but the larger ones can be a pain in the butt. I've never had one damage a coral or bother anything. Most corals close up when the crab walks on it but open right up afterwards. The biggest thing with crabs is that they may steal food from other slow eating corals. Specifically, they can be a pain with my sun coral. But that's no different then my army of nassarius snails that also aggressively seek out food and steal it from corals as well. Occasionally, a larger crab may get ahold of an underachieving snail and steal it's shell. This would be the exception as most healthy snails can fend off the crabs.

The only snails that crawl out of my PicO are nerites but generally they eventually learn.

Well the hermits aren't all that bad. Just overall dumb. My one is perfectly fine, minds his business, and does laps around the tank. My 1st casualty just wanted to know what was outside the tank, so for the first few days I had to keep pushing him back in from the edge. Well one night he decided to go for it, and I found him a few days later on the floor. My last one who passed wasn't his fault and he was overall okay as well. Either got into a scrap or a pump :lol:

I am just looking for something new AND useful. We don't have any such thing as 'reefcleaners' so I have to pick and choose each member. Snails are okay by me if they don't try to crawl out of the tank. I know I did research some time back and made mysefl a list. I just have to find it...

Okay found it. Here was my list:

Astraeinae Snail

“DIBS” Turbo Snail (Turbo argyrostoma)

Mini Brittle Starfish

Cerith

Collonistas

Trochus

Stomatella

DO NOT GET:

Nerites (poop machines and constantly climb out of tank)

Nassarius (Get in the way during feedings)

Haha, any suggestions on my previous list. TBH, it's been a long time since I read up on those guys ;)

I like your list.

I have some of what you list for CUC. My ceriths are great. The tiny dwarf ceriths are especially good to get into tiny places and clean the sand bed.

My stomatellas are my favorites. They love to hang out on the macros but they are really fast creepers (by gastropod standards) so they move around all over the place but never out of the tank. I have had them reproduce in the tank and I absolutely love it. There are baby stomatellas all over the macros.

:)

I like your list.

I have some of what you list for CUC. My ceriths are great. The tiny dwarf ceriths are especially good to get into tiny places and clean the sand bed.

My stomatellas are my favorites. They love to hang out on the macros but they are really fast creepers (by gastropod standards) so they move around all over the place but never out of the tank. I have had them reproduce in the tank and I absolutely love it. There are baby stomatellas all over the macros.

:)

Thanks for the reply :) My main concern is anything trying to crawl out of the tank. I always run topless (ooh la la) and don't plan to change :P

Deleted User 4

Thanks for the reply :) My main concern is anything trying to crawl out of the tank. I always run topless (ooh la la) and don't plan to change :P

Lol. You run topless? What ever happened to the picO sexy cover?

I still have both of them. I originally ordered it as I was worried for jumpers, and I didn't have an solid idea of what kind of fish I wanted. I just love the look of topless :D

My TSB is completely boring. He just perches in the same 'cave' area all day every day. Only swims for food. I'm starting to consider either another addition, or replacement. I don't know if maybe he'll change his attitude once I start really stocking the tank, but if he doesn't I think i'll be looking for something else.

I did a massive cleanup of the tank today. It's been a good 3-4 weeks since a waterchange... :eek: Although surprisingly almost non-existant algae growth, the pumps and mp10 wetside's were all cleaned in a vinegar soak, along with all walls/overflows cleaned like new! Also of course the razor needed a good dusting.

A 25% waterchange was done, with another planned in the next few days to get it back up to spec. I am also planning to demolish the liverock that I previously added, as I just can't win the battle against aiptasia - and also only really bought it to seed my rock. I plan to demolish it for the goodies inside *MWAHAHAAH!* I'll be taking all the brittle starfish and scattering them about (there is not a single source to buy these on there own where I am!). There is no aiptasia on my main rock work (what started out as dryrock) so once the liverock is vamoosh, so will be the aiptasia.

Deleted User 4

That's good news. Your original dry rock scape is the best picture imo.

As for other fish additions, what do you have in mind?

That's good news. Your original dry rock scape is the best picture imo.

As for other fish additions, what do you have in mind?

Thank Illu, I worked so hard on the scape, I appreciate it :)

As for fish, i'm not quite certain. I want these things:

1. It's gotta be a swimmer. I'm not looking for a 'percher'
  2. Something suitable for my size tank ~10g
  3. Something colorful. Doesn't have to be super-flashy, but a punch of color would be nice :)

Firefish perhaps?

I'm really surprised your TSB is so boring, mine is literally always active. He likes to hide amongst the rics and sometimes perch on my scoly lol.

Deleted User 4

A royal gramma? A definite swimmer.

royalgramma_zpsaa7061c8.jpg

Or have you ever thought about dwarf gobies? Like the on zrgost has. Or trueisb has.

Or even better, a basslet would be nice.

Hi, Jordon! It's been a while!!! :) Glad to see some action in your thread again. I bet your TSB will be more active if you add another fish. Maybe a sixline? Not sure what their tank size requirement is but I know I've seen them in 10g tanks before. It's very active, colorful, and hopefully suitable for your tank size.

Firefish perhaps?

I'm really surprised your TSB is so boring, mine is literally always active. He likes to hide amongst the rics and sometimes perch on my scoly lol.

I was actually just looking at those :lol: I don't know what's up with my guy, but he looks bored out of his face. At first I thought he was just getting used to his surroundings, but nope, stayed like that.

A royal gramma? A definite swimmer.

royalgramma_zpsaa7061c8.jpg

Or have you ever thought about dwarf gobies? Like the on zrgost has. Or trueisb has.

Or even better, a basslet would be nice.

Very nice looking fish for sure, thanks for the suggestion. From my understanding most gobies are more perchers, or 'floaters' meaning they kind of hover around haha. I want something that swims about endlessly.

Hi, Jordon! It's been a while!!! :) Glad to see some action in your thread again. I bet your TSB will be more active if you add another fish. Maybe a sixline? Not sure what their tank size requirement is but I know I've seen them in 10g tanks before. It's very active, colorful, and hopefully suitable for your tank size.

Thanks gena! I have to catch up on your tank thread as well! Sooo much reading ahead of me!

Sixlines are soooo Perrrrdy :wub: I heard a lot of mixed things with them though, but i'll do some more research. It's been a while since i have researched fish. I am hoping eith another addition, he will become more active like you said. If not, I may sell him back to the LFS -_-

Thanks gena! I have to catch up on your tank thread as well! Sooo much reading ahead of me!

Sixlines are soooo Perrrrdy :wub: I heard a lot of mixed things with them though, but i'll do some more research. It's been a while since i have researched fish. I am hoping eith another addition, he will become more active like you said. If not, I may sell him back to the LFS -_-

The thing with sixlines is if you plan to add any fish after it, you can forget about it. But, if it's the last fish you add it won't be a problem. They are a great fish. Just not to new fish additions. I loved the guy I had. And their coloring really is perrrdy. :D
Deleted User 4

I was actually just looking at those :lol: I don't know what's up with my guy, but he looks bored out of his face. At first I thought he was just getting used to his surroundings, but nope, stayed like that.

Very nice looking fish for sure, thanks for the suggestion. From my understanding most gobies are more perchers, or 'floaters' meaning they kind of hover around haha. I want something that swims about endlessly.

Oh sorry, I meant to say dwarf dartfish. Zrgost has 5 of them. Very small but cute and they will enjoy a beautiful picO (Yours) Lmao.

Firefish gobies are good. I have a royal gramma and a firefish goby in my tank. Planning on selling the gold stripped maroon soon. I suggest you go with purple firefish if you really want one. Or the helfrichi (expensive).

There are still basslets out there suitable for your tank.

These look like swimmers. Dwarf goby.

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/04/29/eviota-pamae/

Oh sorry, I meant to say dwarf dartfish. Zrgost has 5 of them. Very small but cute and they will enjoy a beautiful picO (Yours) Lmao.

Firefish gobies are good. I have a royal gramma and a firefish goby in my tank. Planning on selling the gold stripped maroon soon. I suggest you go with purple firefish if you really want one. Or the helfrichi (expensive).

There are still basslets out there suitable for your tank.

These look like swimmers. Dwarf goby.

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/04/29/eviota-pamae/

I read somewhere drawf dartfish need to be fed constantly for survival. I honestly don't feed more then 3-4 times per week. Every Day is okay too, but multiple feedings a day = NO :P

I have never heard of a boring TSB lol, that's awful luck.

What about a pink streaked wrasse? They're like 6 lines but peaceful

Ya I got a dud. We'll see if he changes his tune after I re-scape the place a bit and add some corals/other inhabitants. Those Pink Streaked Wrasse are nice! Kind of like a possum and six line had a baby. Good suggestion. I'll add that one to my short list as well :)

Deleted User 4

Yeah pink-streaked wrasse sounds good.

I feed my firefish 3-4 times a week. And my tank is topless, it is doing fine since it's been in my tank for about 3 weeks.

Royal gramma as well.

As for dwarf dartfish, thanks for letting me know. :)

Ugh I had a firefish and I hated it. Sat in a back corner behind a rock for about 6 months and then got shredded by my mp10...gross? yes. Upsetting? not really

Also they are big time jumpers

My tailspot was my favorite fish I've had. So much personality. Bummer about yours lol

Ya, I don't know if he's just super shy, but I mean, it's been going on 3 months now. There is nothing in the tank to scare him, I just don't get it.

Yeah pink-streaked wrasse sounds good.

I feed my firefish 3-4 times a week. And my tank is topless, it is doing fine since it's been in my tank for about 3 weeks.

Royal gramma as well.

As for dwarf dartfish, thanks for letting me know. :)

I really like the pink streaked. I'm going to have to do a bit more research!

Don't take my word for the dart fish 100% I haven't looked into it too much, but i'm fairly certain they require multiple feedings 5+ per day to thrive. I'm sure like anything, rules can be broken (sometimes) but that just seems like a lot of effort, unless you have some sort of Automatic feeder.

Ugh I had a firefish and I hated it. Sat in a back corner behind a rock for about 6 months and then got shredded by my mp10...gross? yes. Upsetting? not really

I guess it's just luck of the draw. I just like getting something and keeping it. I hate returning or exchanging things. That's why I end up researching tons before I decide on something.

Everyone said TSB have amazing personalities, EXCEPT mine of course :rolleyes::lol::mellow::(:closedeyes:

Deleted User 4

Mine stays out in the open and in the front. My tank is only 8g too.....so I have no idea why yours was like that....lol.

Ya, I don't know if he's just super shy, but I mean, it's been going on 3 months now. There is nothing in the tank to scare him, I just don't get it.

I really like the pink streaked. I'm going to have to do a bit more research!

Don't take my word for the dart fish 100% I haven't looked into it too much, but i'm fairly certain they require multiple feedings 5+ per day to thrive. I'm sure like anything, rules can be broken (sometimes) but that just seems like a lot of effort, unless you have some sort of Automatic feeder.

I guess it's just luck of the draw. I just like getting something and keeping it. I hate returning or exchanging things. That's why I end up researching tons before I decide on something.

Everyone said TSB have amazing personalities, EXCEPT mine of course :rolleyes::lol::mellow::(:closedeyes:

Yes, a pink streaked wrasse sounds like the best choice now that I think about it. Can't wait to see the new fish!! :)

Yes, a pink streaked wrasse sounds like the best choice now that I think about it. Can't wait to see the new fish!! :)

Whoa, whoa whoa! Not so fast there partner. Although high on my list these are my other thoughts as or right now:

• Swissguard Basslet
  • Pink-Streaked Wrasse
  • Six-Lined Wrasse

Now I don't know too much about the Swissguard, so if anyone wants to chime in with experiences, that would be appreciated. I am a bit concerned that the Six Line won't have adequate hiding places and rock to graze on. Not sure about the Pink-Streaked either.

Chime in people! Give me your suggestions out of these three (or other suggestions) and why :D

edit: Poll Added!

I have a pink-streaked wrasse. He's great...but he is not out in the open a lot. Not nearly as much as a sixline wrasse. My pinky is very pretty and he does all the things a sixline would do. But he's not nearly as sociable. They are quite shy.

Deleted User 4

I wouldn't get a six-line wrasse....they can get pretty aggressive as they mature.

I think I'll vote on both the swissguard basslet and the pink streak wrasse. :)

Archived