Coral Vue Hydros

Hexadron's Nitoralis [Retired]

Hexadron

Alright, so everything is purchased for my Coral QT tank. In all it worked out to $150 for everything. I originally budgeted $200 for this, but got some great savings! Here's a breakdown:

Coral Quarantine

• Tank - 5.5g AGA (FREE!)
  • Lighting - LEDTRiC Par38 Full Spectrum Plus ($70)
  • Heater - Cobalt Aquatics 50w Neo-Therm ($50)
  • Circulation & Filtration - AquaClear 50 ($30)

My brother was heading to the pet store to pick up some food for his dogs, so I asked if he could pick up a tank for me since he was there anyways. He said it was so cheap, not to bother paying him back. What a bro B)

I got the LEDTRiC light on sale + a $10 coupon (Thanks Mike!) and as well the AquaClear 50 was on sale (save $10) I did have to pay full price for the heater, but have been so happy with my Neo-Therm on Nitoralis, that it was worth it for me.

I'm still waiting on the filter, and light to be shipped to me, so more to come in the near future!

Very nice, I'm glad you didn't hold out for the Razor nano as you need to get something into your PicO. ;) How long has it been since you first got it wet?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, everything looks great. Your attention to the details will make this a winner. Will definitely be following along.

PS- Nice iMac, loved mine until I had to ditch it for my hackintosh

Very nice, I'm glad you didn't hold out for the Razor nano as you need to get something into your PicO. ;) How long has it been since you first got it wet?

Me too! Not to say in the future, if i do some sort of mini frag tank (albeit more permanent setup) I may look down that road, but for now I think the Par38 will be a solid light, plus I can always use it in the future for a fun project tank :D it's been a few days shy of a month now. I knew the cycle would take longer, and I'll be doing the first water change tomorrow.

I don't say much in here, but I try and stay up to date in this vey interesting thread! B)

No worries, I appreciate you following. I am a lurker in too many threads. Sometimes you just don't know what to say! If you have any questions though, i'm always more than happy to answer them :)

Wow, everything looks great. Your attention to the details will make this a winner. Will definitely be following along.

PS- Nice iMac, loved mine until I had to ditch it for my hackintosh

Thanks so much. I have been doing my best to resist impulse buys, except today I went a bit nuts, i'll show you what I mean below...

Saw one of the Razors at LFS, kind of tempted to get one and order a nice big second tank from Chris after seeing how good it looks over your tank, Jordon

Haha, originally I just thought it would be cool to have something that looks like a 'floating canopy' :P Obviously this one will be good for future upgrades as well (ie: larger tank) But I have to agree there, it does look pretty cool :P

Well I have no new pics to post here, because to be quite honest they would put you to sleep. My brother dropped of the 5.5g tank today, and although it is nowhere near the quality of a PicO, I must say the silicone work is pretty dang good! I'll post some pics later once I have the rest of my equipment to "show off" :o:happy:

So I mentioned I went a bit crazy today. Well here's what I mean:

1x Hanna Instruments Phosphorus Ultra Low Range Checker HI736

1x Hanna Checker Phosphorus Reagent

1x Hanna Instruments Alkalinity Checker HI755

1x Hanna Instruments Calcium Checker HI758

1x Fauna Marin Ultra Wakame +

1x Fauna Marin Ultra Power Phos - 500ml Container

2x 2.5G food grade container

1x Kent Marine Pro-Scraper II Extendable Glass or Acrylic Cleaning Tool (16-24 Inch)

1x RPS ALL OUT Coral Dip

1x Dissekt-Rite Specimen Curved Forceps (10")

So that's my shopping for today :P Not everything is madly expensive, except the final bill :blink: I figure Hannah is probably one of the best and easiest ways to test for your standard Reef/SPS Parameters, so "why not?!" I'll pick up the other reagents later, but figure i'll be focusing on reducing Nutrients/Nitrates/Phosphates before diving into the other two. I am also going to give the Fauna Marin Ultra Power Phos a try to see how good it is at reducing Phosphates.

Picked up some other food by Fauna Marin as well which will help diversify my collection :P

And finally a few odds and ends like: forceps, 2x2.5G buckets for easy water changes [perfect 25% for the Nitoralis and 50% for the Coral QT] and Reef Pest Solutions ALL OUT Coral Dip. It seems pretty legit, and i'm excited to try it!

Whew, mega update complete.

I haven't heard anything recently about Alk/Ca Hannah Checkers, but I know there was some wariness that the method of testing was just not accurate for some parameters. If it's consistent though It's probably a great purchase... those little titration kits are a pain in the ass.

I haven't heard anything recently about Alk/Ca Hannah Checkers, but I know there was some wariness that the method of testing was just not accurate for some parameters. If it's consistent though It's probably a great purchase... those little titration kits are a pain in the ass.

There were some concerns with the Calcium checker when it was originally released. I believe most of the kinks were worked out though, but with all of them, you just have to be sure to follow directions precisely. I mean, it's the same with any test kit really. I feel confident in their quality, but either way will report my trials with them here!

Damn with 3 checkers I bet that wasn't a small bill haha. Looking good dude!!

Ya tell me about it :wacko: I didn't wan to futz around, and rather save on shipping. The LFS wants $10 more for each one, and I was sure I would be getting the full set sooner or later. Well looks like sooner came first! :lol:

Jordon, make sure you use lab grade RODI water for the Ca tester, I have heard this gives more accurate results. I use the Phosphate checker once and a while, I don't find it very useful however, margin of error is too big. Interested to hear what you have to say about the checkers once you give then a couple tries though.

Christine :)

Jordon, make sure you use lab grade RODI water for the Ca tester, I have heard this gives more accurate results. I use the Phosphate checker once and a while, I don't find it very useful however, margin of error is too big. Interested to hear what you have to say about the checkers once you give then a couple tries though.

Christine :)

Ya I was originally wanting the Phosphate checker but realized pretty quick that for the range I wanted to keep the Phosphorus was a better choice. I'll have to look for a cheap source for lab grade RO/DI as from what I've seen online in the past a lot of places charge a ton.

Ill report my findings here :)

I completely forgot you had a razor on here!! It fits right in next to your iMac!

Thanks :D I think it's a good fit as well. I'm so excited for your new build BTW B)

Me too! Not to say in the future, if i do some sort of mini frag tank (albeit more permanent setup) I may look down that road, but for now I think the Par38 will be a solid light, plus I can always use it in the future for a fun project tank :D it's been a few days shy of a month now. I knew the cycle would take longer, and I'll be doing the first water change tomorrow.

No worries, I appreciate you following. I am a lurker in too many threads. Sometimes you just don't know what to say! If you have any questions though, i'm always more than happy to answer them :)

Thanks so much. I have been doing my best to resist impulse buys, except today I went a bit nuts, i'll show you what I mean below...

Haha, originally I just thought it would be cool to have something that looks like a 'floating canopy' :P Obviously this one will be good for future upgrades as well (ie: larger tank) But I have to agree there, it does look pretty cool :P

Well I have no new pics to post here, because to be quite honest they would put you to sleep. My brother dropped of the 5.5g tank today, and although it is nowhere near the quality of a PicO, I must say the silicone work is pretty dang good! I'll post some pics later once I have the rest of my equipment to "show off" :o:happy:

So I mentioned I went a bit crazy today. Well here's what I mean:

1x Hanna Instruments Phosphorus Ultra Low Range Checker HI736

1x Hanna Checker Phosphorus Reagent

1x Hanna Instruments Alkalinity Checker HI755

1x Hanna Instruments Calcium Checker HI758

1x Fauna Marin Ultra Wakame +

1x Fauna Marin Ultra Power Phos - 500ml Container

2x 2.5G food grade container

1x Kent Marine Pro-Scraper II Extendable Glass or Acrylic Cleaning Tool (16-24 Inch)

1x RPS ALL OUT Coral Dip

1x Dissekt-Rite Specimen Curved Forceps (10")

So that's my shopping for today :P Not everything is madly expensive, except the final bill :blink: I figure Hannah is probably one of the best and easiest ways to test for your standard Reef/SPS Parameters, so "why not?!" I'll pick up the other reagents later, but figure i'll be focusing on reducing Nutrients/Nitrates/Phosphates before diving into the other two. I am also going to give the Fauna Marin Ultra Power Phos a try to see how good it is at reducing Phosphates.

Picked up some other food by Fauna Marin as well which will help diversify my collection :P

And finally a few odds and ends like: forceps, 2x2.5G buckets for easy water changes [perfect 25% for the Nitoralis and 50% for the Coral QT] and Reef Pest Solutions ALL OUT Coral Dip. It seems pretty legit, and i'm excited to try it!

Whew, mega update complete.

Wow, you really shot your load on that order! lol

If you weren't in Canada, I'd give you a job just based off this thread alone. Awesome pictures, planning and presentation! Can't wait to see this thing with corals in it and more updates!

If you weren't in Canada, I'd give you a job just based off this thread alone. Awesome pictures, planning and presentation! Can't wait to see this thing with corals in it and more updates!

Looks like it's time to relocate to Florida! LOL

Wow, you really shot your load on that order! lol

Haha, you could say that :P

Thanks so much Mike. I have to say though, I love Canada, besides the shipping hassles haha. Well maybe if you guys expand in the future up north, give me a call :lol:

Looks like it's time to relocate to Florida! LOL

Haha. I am heading there this summer! but only for a few nights :closedeyes:

Alright, well I decided it was time. The tank has been up for just over a month 'cycling' and to be perfectly honest, things were starting to look a little nasty. So I performed a 50% (5 Gallon) waterchange. Things are still a bit cloudy right now, so no pics (not that there is much new to see!) :P

I also decided it is time to add some filtration media. I have added 1 (100ml) bag of Purigen, 1 tbsp of Carbon ROX 0.8 and a new filter floss pad. I cleaned all the pumps, hoses, cords, heater and mp10 wet side in a Water/Vinegar mix (50:50) with a soft toothbrush (aquarium only) I don't know if it's because I cleaned it, or it has broken in some more, but the mp10 is super quiet now. Not inaudible, but a clear improvement in noise.

I decided to start the filtration as I will be going to a few LFS on Sunday to look at some Livestock and corals. Corals will be quarantined for a period of 2 weeks in my 5.5 Gallon Coral QT. I cleaned out the tank today (also in a Water/Vinegar mix) and it's nice and sparkly now. :lol: I hope to be able to get my light and filter/heater in this week so I can have the tank ready to go for Sunday in case i see a coral I want to pick up. If I don't get the items I ordered this week, the coral shopping will have to wait :(

Alright, well that's the end of the update for the super-boringess of today, but figured you guys would like to know ;)

Deleted User 4

Sweet, can't wait to see :) I think I may end up doing two separate dips (different brands) I'm sure they all work, but the key is I bet they work differently... We'll see.

Okay so I have some much promised pics I meant to post yesterday. This is the "setup" as in the desk it's on and where the tank is situated. :) Let me know if you guys have any questions.

34zn7o9.jpg

107jbkn.jpg

jafn83.jpg

67ktgh.jpg

23gzped.jpg

2cr6asi.jpg

I'm surprised I missed this. There's just too many posts ahah. Nice room and everything. Goes really well with this tank setup.

I'm surprised I missed this. There's just too many posts ahah. Nice room and everything. Goes really well with this tank setup.

Thanks, you know, Just my corner office :lol:

I know too much, discussion, not enough pics! I'll do my best to work on that ;)

Deleted User 4

Thanks, you know, Just my corner office :lol:

I know too much, discussion, not enough pics! I'll do my best to work on that ;)

What kind of chair is that? Love it. I have a little favor to ask, could you take a closer picture of the razor from the top? I saw your previous pictures but it isn't close enough for me to justify its material clearly.

What kind of chair is that? Love it. I have a little favor to ask, could you take a closer picture of the razor from the top? I saw your previous pictures but it isn't close enough for me to justify its material clearly.

It's a Zuo Lider (low back) chair. It's essentially a copy of the Eame's Management chair that goes for $2k+ but I only paid about $150 :P It's very well built though, i'm quite impressed.

Okay so I snapped some pics for you. Not the best light in my room to show off the fixture, so I used flash. You can see a bit of dust <_< Sorry about that.

2lnfrxg.jpg

35jjua8.jpg

a45t4.jpg

20rofmv.jpg

263ecsk.jpg

2dtaji1.jpg

Deleted User 4

Yes! That's more like it. Thanks man.

Razor definitely is very sleek and quality looking. Might just have to order the nano one later on.

And that chair. Thank god there's an imitation one, I mean who the hell would spend 2k on a freaking chair lolol.

Even if I was a millionaire, I wouldn't want to and would rather use the 2k on a new nano tank setup lol, or invest in some decent stocks.

Good choice on the $150 chair ha.

Your picture taking skills blow me away every time... I don't even want to think about when you start adding livestock.

Your picture taking skills blow me away every time... I don't even want to think about when you start adding livestock.

Yeah no kidding. Makes me not want to pull out my D90 :lol::lol:

Archived