Top Shelf Aquatics

Hexadron's Nitoralis [Retired]

Hexadron

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted in my tank thread. :D I definitely don't take your caliber of tank shots, but hopefully they aren't too bad.

Your shots are great. It takes time and practice. Just keep shooting!

Wow....thats a nice desktop pico.....

Epic workstation and epic tank.

Thanks. Well the epicness of the workstation will be getting an epic upgrade next year. B)

Just be careful doing tank maintenance or u may get an iShock.

Haha, yes indeed! Have to be very careful. When I get a workstation solely for the Home Theater, I will be moving all the Hard Drives there, which will give me some peice of mind. LOL @ iShock

Thanks. Well the epicness of the workstation will be getting an epic upgrade next year. B)

Haha, yes indeed! Have to be very careful. When I get a workstation solely for the Home Theater, I will be moving all the Hard Drives there, which will give me some peice of mind. LOL @ iShock

I'm a PC so when I crank up my royal blue LEDs it reminds me of the old school Windows blue screen of death! lol

Thanks. I think I struggle with what most beginners do; white balance. If this were a TV no problem as I have the meter and software to calibrate it, but a camera and tank, not so much. LOL

Thanks. I think I struggle with what most beginners do; white balance. If this were a TV no problem as I have the meter and software to calibrate it, but a camera and tank, not so much. LOL

What do you use for your tv? I use DVE :D I'm not fancy enough for the spider thing.

What do you use for your tv? I use DVE :D I'm not fancy enough for the spider thing.

I actually have an i1Pro and calibrate TVs on the side. I've actually considered using it to take temp readings from the lights to make the white balance card for the cam, but I think the light output from the LEDs is too bright for an acccurate reading from the meter. Also, having an open top aquarium I haven't gotten the balls big enough to hold it over the aquarium and risk dropping an $800 meter into salt water. LOL

I actually have an i1Pro and calibrate TVs on the side. I've actually considered using it to take temp readings from the lights to make the white balance card for the cam, but I think the light output from the LEDs is too bright for an acccurate reading from the meter. Also, having an open top aquarium I haven't gotten the balls big enough to hold it over the aquarium and risk dropping an $800 meter into salt water. LOL

I don't blame you! I don't think I would trust myself either. :P

Sup-ah CLEAN setup!!! You definitely take the time and care... shows in the details. Niiiiiiiiiiiiice

Thanks DC :D I did indeed take time to plan this out, and glad I did. I still could have utilized a few more inches width though, but then again, I think I left that for maintenance :P

Your setup is killer BTW, and I love your desk.

On an unrelated note, i went to this new Pet Store that opened up where this old popular, yet super expensive one used to be, and it turns out the same guy owns it, and it's just renamed. :angry: The store is outrageous. Get this. For a 5.5 Gallon "starter kit" they want $89!!! An Aquaclear AC50 (which I just purchased online for $29) was $59!!!

This place was beyond ridiculous. I actually hope they go out of business. Some poor parents are probably going to spend that on their kids not knowing any better... :(

My search continues for a cheap 5.5 Gallon tank... (remember i'm in Canada, so shipping is insane as well...)

I think i paid like $8. it's actually a buck or two more than a ten gallon because they have trouble fitting the silicon gun in there.

U also need a filter especially if your not getting any rock in there.

I think i paid like $8. it's actually a buck or two more than a ten gallon because they have trouble fitting the silicon gun in there.

U also need a filter especially if your not getting any rock in there.

I plan on using an Aquaclear 50 for filtration along with carbon, filter floss and (possibly) a Phosphate reducer (if required)

I'm trying to get my QT tank set up this weekend if at all possible. I'm still debating on a few things though regarding filtration:

Tank - 5.5g Tank

Lighting - Par38 lamp

Filtration - Aquaclear 50

- Carbon

- Phosphate remover (if necessary)

- 'Live' rock rubble (I'm concerned if there is enough room though!)

I don't want to have rock or sand in the tank so I can easily remove pests if necessary as this is a QT. But I want it to be able to run without having to do daily water changes. I figure if I have the biological filter in there that would help keep Ammonia and Nitrite in check, but i'm afraid there won't be enough room in the AC50 for that plus the other media [carbon etc..]

So basically the one AC50 with all that crammed in, or buy an additional one for added flow and to have (AC50 - 1) for Carbon and other media and (AC50 - 2) for Biological filter/live rock rubble and maybe some chaeto [mini-fuge]

Flow is important as it's SPS heavy, and i would probably have a few corals in there at once.

Cheapest 5.5 I found so far is $20. God damn, Canada blows for prices...

I'm going to be building a similar nano sized QT/Frag tank. I know those fluval ACs are heavily moddable, but I haven't started looking into them yet. Definitely put liverock rubble in the modded AC (keeping the QT barebottom,) and carbon, but I don't think we'll need to run GFO. Then again, Matt's running his brs reactor on the PicO for a bit and didn't think he'd need to originally either. Either way, I'm in favor of running straight GAC/GFO over any mystery-mixes.

PAR38 is probably the most economical lighting. Who are you ordering from? I'd recommend RapidLED. I've had good interactions with Mike

I'm going to be building a similar nano sized QT/Frag tank. I know those fluval ACs are heavily moddable, but I haven't started looking into them yet. Definitely put liverock rubble in the modded AC (keeping the QT barebottom,) and carbon, but I don't think we'll need to run GFO. Then again, Matt's running his brs reactor on the PicO for a bit and didn't think he'd need to originally either. Either way, I'm in favor of running straight GAC/GFO over any mystery-mixes.

PAR38 is probably the most economical lighting. Who are you ordering from? I'd recommend RapidLED. I've had good interactions with Mike

Thanks for the feedback. :) I already ordered one AC50, but i'm still debating on if I should order a second one. I'd just like to hear what other people suggest before placing an order. They are on sale right now at Big Al's, so I would like to take advantage soon if possible.

I ended up ordering the Full Spectrum Plus Par38 from LEDTRiC. I haven't seen what it looks like to be honest over a tank, but the combination seems like something good for growth and color rendition, which is an added bonus of being in the QT. Since it will be mainly SPS, this is a good thing! haha

I am just not sure there is enough room for the rubble and carbon/any other media in the one AC50. I would like to utilize as much rubble as possible for filtration to be effective. Unless maybe i'm thinking incorrectly, and don't need as much as I think?

I think you can't go wrong ordering an extra AC50. If you don't use it for this build, those can come in handy for all sorts of aquarium projects. We all know you've been bitten by the bug, you expect us to think you'll stop with a 5.5g QT?

The full spectrum plus seems like a great bulb. I don't think you'll need much liverock rubble at all if it's porous. Lots of little rocks have a lot more surface area then the large rocks most people use to scape with.

Rubble is great but often people put rubble in and forget about it. The problem with that is it will collect a lot of detritus. I remember when people would toss rubble in the rear chambers of their Aquapods and Nanocubes only to find out it was just as bad as using the stock sponge. On the other side is that rubble contains a lot of surface air which is great for pods & bacteria. You probably don't want pods in your tank because you want to be able to easily differentiate from pods and pests so I'd recommend dipping all your rubble in a coral dip. If you put rubble in your AC50, make sure it is covered by floss so that it stays clean, and I would also at least monthly remove it and rinse it in water change water to remove detritus. The other part I'm concerned with is light. Normally live rock is exposed to light so I would assume that the rubble your keeping would need to be kept well lit if your intending on the normal beneficial bacterial found on live rock.

A par 38 bulb sounds perfect for this application and I probably would have gone this route however I just happened to have a heat sink, driver, and a few LEDs leftover from a previous project so I went that route. I also considered a considered an AC50 but considering it as $34 for an AC50 and $39 for an AC70 I got the larger one. Aquaclear filters are overpriced at most LFS. I don't think you need 2 of them a 1 will be just fine. I also think you will be fine with flow, even with SPS coral. The reality is this is a QT observation tank, not a frag or growth tank. You only want to maintain their brilliance. If anything, a very small powerhead on a timer will do... Maybe a Koralia 240 nano but even that may be too much. Frags that aren't properly secured to live rock are easily displaced. I have several extra MJ1200 on hand but nothing smaller. I tried putting one in my 5.5g while I wait for my AC70 and it blew the water out of the tank. LOL. No joke. When I set it up with the big impeller for flow mode it was just as bad.

Have you considered rubble on the bottom, then egg crate, then your coral on top of the egg crate? All you need to do is hit the rubble with a turkey baster from time to time.

I also agree with ZROGST. Your tank is empty now but when it gets stuffed you will either want a larger tank or you will want a frag tank for more versatility. But I still think you need some phosphate media in there because you don't want to deal with algae in this low maintenance tank. I can't imagine you would be feeding much in the QT tank and I don't plan to feed much in my frag tank to keep things simple. Jordon, I wouldn't think you would be seeing too many pests if your corals are properly dipped. You might get nudi eggs, and with SPS heavy you might get flatworms. Do you plan on treating with interceptor for dogs?

I think you can't go wrong ordering an extra AC50. If you don't use it for this build, those can come in handy for all sorts of aquarium projects. We all know you've been bitten by the bug, you expect us to think you'll stop with a 5.5g QT?

The full spectrum plus seems like a great bulb. I don't think you'll need much liverock rubble at all if it's porous. Lots of little rocks have a lot more surface area then the large rocks most people use to scape with.

I just might go with another AC50 ;)

Rubble is great but often people put rubble in and forget about it. The problem with that is it will collect a lot of detritus. I remember when people would toss rubble in the rear chambers of their Aquapods and Nanocubes only to find out it was just as bad as using the stock sponge. On the other side is that rubble contains a lot of surface air which is great for pods & bacteria. You probably don't want pods in your tank because you want to be able to easily differentiate from pods and pests so I'd recommend dipping all your rubble in a coral dip. If you put rubble in your AC50, make sure it is covered by floss so that it stays clean, and I would also at least monthly remove it and rinse it in water change water to remove detritus. The other part I'm concerned with is light. Normally live rock is exposed to light so I would assume that the rubble your keeping would need to be kept well lit if your intending on the normal beneficial bacterial found on live rock.

Well a Par38 over a 5.5 is likely to have some light spill, and I could always position it to "bleed" over the AC50. Then again, i've seen people cycle their tanks with absolutely no light at all and it worked out for them okay. I guess it's one of those wait and see things...

I will add floss on top. I think my rubble won't be microscopic pieces or anything, but a few medium sized pieces like 5 or so.

A par 38 bulb sounds perfect for this application and I probably would have gone this route however I just happened to have a heat sink, driver, and a few LEDs leftover from a previous project so I went that route. I also considered a considered an AC50 but considering it as $34 for an AC50 and $39 for an AC70 I got the larger one.

Anywhere we can save money in this hobby is an absolute YES! The Par38 was a decent deal IMO $69 after discounts. It's 18w as well which should suffice for keeping SPS. If the price was that close for me i would have gone larger too. It was on sale for $29 for the AC50, but $44 for the AC70.

Aquaclear filters are overpriced at most LFS. I don't think you need 2 of them a 1 will be just fine. I also think you will be fine with flow, even with SPS coral. The reality is this is a QT observation tank, not a frag or growth tank. You only want to maintain their brilliance. If anything, a very small powerhead on a timer will do... Maybe a Koralia 240 nano but even that may be too much. Frags that aren't properly secured to live rock are easily displaced. I have several extra MJ1200 on hand but nothing smaller. I tried putting one in my 5.5g while I wait for my AC70 and it blew the water out of the tank. LOL. No joke. When I set it up with the big impeller for flow mode it was just as bad.

You're totally right, LFS are crazy expensive!

Flow seems alright for a 5.5. So 200gph (AC50) is about 36x turnover, when 40x is usually the standard for SPS.

Like you said this isn't a grow-out tank, but more of a QT. Besides in the future, if I end up having many frags/larger tank I will get a dedicated frag tank to set up all the time. I'm going to have to wait until I move, as i'm running out of room here... (Small Condo)

LOL at the water blowing out of the tank. I better be careful!

Have you considered rubble on the bottom, then egg crate, then your coral on top of the egg crate? All you need to do is hit the rubble with a turkey baster from time to time.

I was considering that. My only concern is if lets say AEFW or red bugs or their eggs sink to the bottom and then they have a place to multiply. I know sooner or later without a food source they would die, but I just think it may be risky for my application.

I also agree with ZROGST. Your tank is empty now but when it gets stuffed you will either want a larger tank or you will want a frag tank for more versatility. But I still think you need some phosphate media in there because you don't want to deal with algae in this low maintenance tank. I can't imagine you would be feeding much in the QT tank and I don't plan to feed much in my frag tank to keep things simple. Jordon, I wouldn't think you would be seeing too many pests if your corals are properly dipped. You might get nudi eggs, and with SPS heavy you might get flatworms. Do you plan on treating with interceptor for dogs?

You are definitely right. I will end up wanting to upgrade; hell I want a bigger tank already :P For now my space in my house is preventing me from doing that, which may be a good thing as otherwise I would probably go broke!

As for Phosphate media I have to agree. I'm still debating on what to use, but have a direction I would like to go in. The only concern is with carbon, filter floss, phosphate media, and rock rubble, I don't think there will be enough room on the one AC50.

Thinking about it, since the AC50 is a pretty good deal right now, I'll pick one up. If I don't end up using it, I will either keep it, or try and convert my brother to reef aquariums, and start him on a nano Mwahaha!

I think I freak myself out when I see all these pests all the time, but it seems like it's always the people playing russian roulette with not dipping their corals PERIOD. On the other hand, I rather be a bit paranoid and do my due diligence to keep everything safe and healthy. Also save me some $ along the way and heartache.

I'm not sure on the interceptor yet. I have been lazy to be honest and haven't looked into it very much. I see some people swear by it though. Perhaps this weekend I can do some serious research on it.

Wow, I missed a lot. Congrats on the cycle. Your desk is too clean! I use melafix marine as a dip for coral.

Zeovit is worth looking into but a little too early for that. Hope all else is well.

Wow, I missed a lot. Congrats on the cycle. Your desk is too clean! I use melafix marine as a dip for coral.

Zeovit is worth looking into but a little too early for that. Hope all else is well.

Thanks for tagging along :) Well although the cycle is technically done, the fact that I have no algae is troublesome? I really don't know if i'm missing something or I should do the happy dance? :P

I have spotted a few diatoms towards the back of the rockscape though. They are very dark brown.

Well I always keep my desk clean as I can't get anything done if it's too messy. You will see the occasional food wrapper sometimes though :ninja:

Yea, I won't be going full ZEO anytime soon, but I like what they offer.

A pair of AC50s would be overkill on a 5.5 IMO. What ever happened to kiss? lol

I think your overly paranoid on pests. Perhaps I've been fortunate enough but I did battle nudis (which was an easy battle) and I know I could have avoided bryopsis with a combination of better purchasing decisions or a week observation prior to putting frags in my tank. Most if not all pest algae shows itself in a week if you completely remove it and it plans on coming back.

I think one AC50 will be just fine. If you were only observing for a week then shutting down the QT tank then I'd say you don't need any biological filter and just shut it down between QT cycles. But if your going longer then a week or long term I would have something self sustaining. But who wants to setup a $300 QT or mini frag tank?

And don't sweat the size of your tank. I could have upgraded my Aquapod into something bigger but I specifically chose to keep it running and go with a second, smaller tank. My budget was limited so an upgrade would have been a 40g breeder with a 20g fuge during the Petco sale, and I considered using the 5.5g plumbed in the side as a display frag tank. Since I chose to go small on this tank I totally changed my goals. I wanted something elegant which I would have never gotten with a Petco tank. I wanted my tank to look clean and sexy. I want my PicO setup to not only look beautiful inside the tank, but look sleek when seen as a whole.

This is also made me change plans on my future upgrading which would be instead of the Petco tank, a drilled 40g rimless display.

Diatoms are caused by silicate normally in your sandbed. I've gotten it every time using live sand but depending what you used you may or may not see them. If they arrive just ignore them. I wouldn't even waste the effort cleaning your glass as they will die off on their own after consuming all the silicate. You can test for it if you want but I find it a money not well spent unless your having a problem.

A pair of AC50s would be overkill on a 5.5 IMO. What ever happened to kiss? lol

I think your overly paranoid on pests. Perhaps I've been fortunate enough but I did battle nudis (which was an easy battle) and I know I could have avoided bryopsis with a combination of better purchasing decisions or a week observation prior to putting frags in my tank. Most if not all pest algae shows itself in a week if you completely remove it and it plans on coming back.

I think one AC50 will be just fine. If you were only observing for a week then shutting down the QT tank then I'd say you don't need any biological filter and just shut it down between QT cycles. But if your going longer then a week or long term I would have something self sustaining. But who wants to setup a $300 QT or mini frag tank?

And don't sweat the size of your tank. I could have upgraded my Aquapod into something bigger but I specifically chose to keep it running and go with a second, smaller tank. My budget was limited so an upgrade would have been a 40g breeder with a 20g fuge during the Petco sale, and I considered using the 5.5g plumbed in the side as a display frag tank. Since I chose to go small on this tank I totally changed my goals. I wanted something elegant which I would have never gotten with a Petco tank. I wanted my tank to look clean and sexy. I want my PicO setup to not only look beautiful inside the tank, but look sleek when seen as a whole.

This is also made me change plans on my future upgrading which would be instead of the Petco tank, a drilled 40g rimless display.

Diatoms are caused by silicate normally in your sandbed. I've gotten it every time using live sand but depending what you used you may or may not see them. If they arrive just ignore them. I wouldn't even waste the effort cleaning your glass as they will die off on their own after consuming all the silicate. You can test for it if you want but I find it a money not well spent unless your having a problem.

I'm going to think it through for sure. The fact that I keep questioning it is telling me something about going for another AC50... :rolleyes: The more I think about it, the more i think it would be overkill as you mentioned.

I am not completely decided on my quarantine time, but I am planning to dip twice. Once, then observe, then again, and probably a few more days to a week observation afterwards. In all most likely about 2 weeks.

Hopefully that would be okay without the rock rubble in there? I am just not sure on corals. I know they won't create waste to the extent that fish would, but I wonder if weekly water changes will suffice?

- So having fresh water to begin with, do the dip, acclimate, observe (total 1 week)

- Dip again, change water, observe (total 1 week)

- After 14 days is up, add to display tank

Since i'm still a noob to reefing, i'm still unsure if that would work. I would just hate to murder nice coral :P

As for diatoms, I actually discovered yesterday night I do have some. For some reason they are sticking to the back of my rock structure. There are a few on the top, but absolutely nada on the sand.

They are very small specks and very dark brown. I have to say believe it or not, i'm actually glad to see them :lol:

Well I have set the budget at $200 maximum. After the tank is purchased I will have come very close to that. Keep in mind, I had to purchase everything. Since i haven't been in the 'hobby' for at least the past 10 years I had nothing on hand! Here's the equipment list:

5.5 Gallon Tank

Aquaclear 50

Cobalt Neo-Therm 50w Heater

Thermometer (cheap 'floating glass' one)

LEDTRiC Full Spectrum Plus Par 38 (and super cheap, super awesome swing arm lamp) :P

All-in-all I would have liked to spend less, but know I can use everything in the future again, so I am viewing it as an investment of sorts. Not to mention possible pests I will keep from entering my system, and observing to make sure my corals are healthy.

The part I don't understand is why you spent more on the heater for your QT tank than your display. Didn't you choose an Eheim Jager like I did or am I mistaken? If I remember correctly we have the same heater in our PicOs but you have a 75w and I have a 50w.

:wizard: Love it

Great office also.... the tank is pretty cool too. :P

Thanks. Those crabs were awesome. The lighting was great. I wish I took a video. It was my first time using my DSLR and I kept forgetting I could do HD Video <_<

I like the tank too! :P

So things have changed a bit with dosing with the help of Christine (NanoTopia) I'll be changing to:

1 drop ZEObak twice per week

1 drop ZEOstart3 every day

I have halted dosing of ZEOfood7 as my Nitrates are quite high (25) and hopefully the ZEOstart3 should help with reducing that in time. I will check parameters periodically and post my findings here.

Thanks again Christine!

What's this?! Project time!!!

23llf1v.jpg

The part I don't understand is why you spent more on the heater for your QT tank than your display. Didn't you choose an Eheim Jager like I did or am I mistaken? If I remember correctly we have the same heater in our PicOs but you have a 75w and I have a 50w.

The 50watt and 75 watt are the same price most everywhere :closedeyes: I chose the Neo-Therm again due to the great reviews, and my temperature has been solid from the time I set the tank up! I may even end up switching my 75watt in my display to the 50watt I just purchased after i'm done with the Coral QT to save a bit on power usage.

I have an additional 75watt for water changes, so I could always have two to get that water heated really fast!

I could have went with a 25watt, but it was only a few bucks less.

I could have went cheaper on a few things i'm sure, but one thing I learned is do your research and don't make purchases just because it's on sale, or because it's cheap.

Archived