Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hexadron's Nitoralis [Retired]

Hexadron

Diatoms are a natural part of the cycle. Doesn't matter how ugly, once the silica is used up in a day or two they go away by themselves.

With regards to other algae, I don't think you have enough of a food source to fuel it yet.

I'm concerned with glass algae on my Pico due to sunlight.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd ramp those lights up full blast. All the micro bio in there should start off with just how the lights are going to be when you add your critters. Imo, good algae grows under good conditions, bad algae grows under bad conditions.

Aslo love this thread, its very informative!

Diatoms are a natural part of the cycle. Doesn't matter how ugly, once the silica is used up in a day or two they go away by themselves.

With regards to other algae, I don't think you have enough of a food source to fuel it yet.

I'm concerned with glass algae on my Pico due to sunlight.

Well I suppose my light source wasn't intense enough, so I reprogrammed it yesterday night to take effect this morning. Yup it's bright! :P As for food source you're probably right. After adding ammonia I stopped ghost feeding as I had a hard source for it. We will see if the lighting changes anything.

I'd ramp those lights up full blast. All the micro bio in there should start off with just how the lights are going to be when you add your critters. Imo, good algae grows under good conditions, bad algae grows under bad conditions.

Aslo love this thread, its very informative!

Well my max right now is 30% I used the settings I posted on the previous page. Keep in mind this fixture is rated for tanks upwards of 90 Gallons, and it is also about 4.5" from the water surface so it's very intense even with my settings.

I like your algae analogy. :)

Glad you like the thread. I'll post some more pics this weekend to liven things up a bit :lol:

Okay I promised Photo's and i will get some of my tank. I thought i would share some here I just posted in another thread. Here's one of the Aquariums I visited last year. The Osaka Aquarium. All photos taken by yours truly :)

2jbeki.jpg

280qk48.jpg

m9xgtj.jpg

qxrprr.jpg

rqvf2p.jpg

21owtfl.jpg

Those are some sweet pics!! The last one is especially wallpaper worthy.

Looks like I'll be holding onto the Seneye. Need to get an ultra long USB cable to rig it though. Drop-off's going through some changes :) .

Those are some sweet pics!! The last one is especially wallpaper worthy.

Looks like I'll be holding onto the Seneye. Need to get an ultra long USB cable to rig it though. Drop-off's going through some changes :) .

One of my favourites :wub:

Well I think the Seneye is a great device, once the new features are added, it will be awesome.

Here's some for Christine :) The aquarium at Vancouver International Airport! All creatures are native to British Columbia. I only have a few pics as I was just there for a stopover. I was in a hurry so excuse the crude pics.

2vmamq8.jpg

f8j60.jpg

2vmamq8.jpg

I think that's the prettiest "ugly" fish I've ever seen :D

These photos are amazing! I'm doing the happydance cuz I know this is what we have to look forward to once your tank is filled with critters. :happydance:

WOW! Love your life! Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

Well my life isn't like that all the time, but I always wanted to go to Japan, so within six months of deciding "Let's do it!" I did :P the only thing that sucked was I couldn't find any great aquatic stores. The directions are beyond horrible, and the few I wanted to visit were underground, and you had to take three trains to get there... I didn't have enough time to do all that, but maybe if I ever go back.

I think that's the prettiest "ugly" fish I've ever seen :DThese photos are amazing! I'm doing the happydance cuz I know this is what we have to look forward to once your tank is filled with critters. :happydance:

Aww thanks Gena. I hope to take lots of pics when my tank is all filled with life. I love taking pictures :)

I've come across a lot of people having success with this. Is it really any different than the other dips though?

Some of the other dips I've seen mixed results on flatworms and red bugs. This supposedly kills anything and everything and doesn't harm the coral. So far I haven't seen any ill affects to the tank whatsoever. I actually have some new tank shots I'm going to post tomorrow too. :D

Some of the other dips I've seen mixed results on flatworms and red bugs. This supposedly kills anything and everything and doesn't harm the coral. So far I haven't seen any ill affects to the tank whatsoever. I actually have some new tank shots I'm going to post tomorrow too. :D

Sweet, can't wait to see :) I think I may end up doing two separate dips (different brands) I'm sure they all work, but the key is I bet they work differently... We'll see.

Okay so I have some much promised pics I meant to post yesterday. This is the "setup" as in the desk it's on and where the tank is situated. :) Let me know if you guys have any questions.

34zn7o9.jpg

107jbkn.jpg

jafn83.jpg

67ktgh.jpg

23gzped.jpg

2cr6asi.jpg

I only have one suggestion. Put a little miniature Shoji screen (they actually make one!) up to block your tank from view when you have a deadline! How could you get any work done with you beautiful tank right next to you? :lol: I know I would gaze into the tank for way too long to get any work done.

It looks clean and elegant. Very nice.

Contemporary beauty...

Thank You! It's my favourite kind of style. Just got the chair a few weeks back. My previous chair was an awful beast, luckily for me the chair was 50% off :haha:

Looks great

Thanks Brad :)

I only have one suggestion. Put a little miniature Shoji screen (they actually make one!) up to block your tank from view when you have a deadline! How could you get any work done with you beautiful tank right next to you? :lol: I know I would gaze into the tank for way too long to get any work done.

It looks clean and elegant. Very nice.

Thanks :) Good thing that I don't work from home! The only "work" I do here is fun stuff anyways, like Photo Editing, taking care of my movie library, online shopping, surfing Nano-Reef... :P Sometimes I find myself gazing in the tank though, but it's pretty boring right now :closedeyes: (no life in the tank!)

How come I don't see it on "post your Mac setup", yet? :P

LOL, I'm purely a lurker there :P

Man the tank looks so much bigger when nothing is around it haha.

I think it's the Razor giving it that appearance actually :P

One the other hand, my massive 27" screen makes it look like a 2 gallon when viewed all together!

New pictures are stunning. I am always blown away here. Your incredibley meticulous.

I have to be with 16tb of Movies :D

Looks great, Jordon!!!! The size of your computer screen threw me for a loop at first :lol: I was like...I didn't know this was a pico!!!! :lol:

Looks great, Jordon!!!! The size of your computer screen threw me for a loop at first :lol: I was like...I didn't know this was a pico!!!! :lol:

Thank Gena :) Haha, the more i see the pics the more I realize how tiny it looks. I guess it's a bit different when i'm sitting at the desk, it looks a little more 'true to scale' :P

I really love my big screen though! I guess it just means a larger tank is in my future... B):lol: Go big or go home!

Posted in my tank thread. :D I definitely don't take your caliber of tank shots, but hopefully they aren't too bad.

Sweet, can't wait to see :)

Archived