SaltCritters.com

Hexadron's Nitoralis [Retired]

Hexadron

What about a court jester goby and a tsb? Or a rainfords goby

I like the Rainfords Goby. :)

As long as they both stay small, you could potentially have 2 in there. In my 13 I have an ocellaris and a tail spot. The ocellaris is my free swimmer and the tail spot hangs out so they don't get in each other's space and I get the best of both worlds. :D

I actually considered those 2 gobies, but I hear they're difficult to keep. Especially in a nano.

I think 2 would be sufficient. I originally decided on one, but realized the poor fish needs a friend :D Haha that's my awesome reasoning.

I would prefer to have a mated pair if at all possible, but someday when I do a larger taank plan TOTAL DIVERSITY. (Arnold Schwarzenegger's voice)

Okay so to tell the customer service of two of my choice LFS as well as an online store I have sent email inquiries raegarding Tail Spot Blenny mated pairs. We will see why replies first, and if anyone can fulfill my fish desires :lol:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One...the only one they have and one of 3 ive ever seen for sale in 5 years of reefing. Rare find like white cap goby and flaming prawn goby

I know I am biased but I suggest a Citron gobi. My Skipper has maxed out at about 1 1/2 inches. He has colored up nicely into a rich creamy yellow that transitions to orange. He has got lovely blue stripes on the face and down the dorsal fin that stand out under blue LEDs. His fins are generous and showy. His personality is tops. He is not nervous, not aggressive not a jumper and is always front and center (a camera hog). He is always skipping from rock to rock and perches there a few moments to maintain control of his subjects. I could watch him for hours.

Edit: I forgot to mention that he is an easy keeper as he eats anything you drop in the tank.

However, there are so many neat fish to choose from I understand your dilemna!

I really appreciate feedback and suggestions :)

Sometimes I figure i'm overthinking things, but maybe not? :P I dunno! DERP.

I'm pretty lazy to be taking the screen on and off. It looks dang sexy, but i'm still a fan of open tops. I think for now i'll leave it on, and see.

For fish, since my selection is limited, I am thinking of small, colorful and not an asshole. :P I don't want it picking on inverts or anything. TSB are supposed to have great personalities which I would really enjoy, but I know they are't active swimmers, wich is something I would also like to see. *sigh*

Polarcollision

There is an easier solution to this..... when you siphon sand siphon into a mesh bag in a bucket..... rinse the sand then replace it in the tank.... Btw easy way to wash sand.....in a reactor lol and the output going through a filter sock in a bucket of saltwater. This way it rinses the sand of fines and detritus...and also maintains its stability and doesnt cause any cycling in a tank..

You know, I've seen this mentioned before and love the simplicity of the idea. I just can't figure out how it works with really fine sand like this sicne the detritus and sand end up passing through the mesh together. Ideas?

Here's what I have in the tank:

288024caribsea_ocean_direct.jpg

Polarcollision

Here's my vote for favorite fish: green clown goby. He's about 1.5", fearless and doesn't nip at other fish or corals. Hops around like a little rabbit and will soon be eating out of my hand. :-). The tailspot blenny has been in the tank for a week so he's still scared of everything. He jumped last night when I was gluing frags down - luckily bounced off my arm and landed in the back chamber. Whew!

DPP07DD0211013A09_zps5bf8a9a4.jpg

You know, I've seen this mentioned before and love the simplicity of the idea. I just can't figure out how it works with really fine sand like this sicne the detritus and sand end up passing through the mesh together. Ideas?

Here's what I have in the tank:

288024caribsea_ocean_direct.jpg

You have to slow the flow down so that the sand rolls on itself. The weight of the sand rolling will act like sandpaper colliding into the deteitus breaking it into smaller particles. Use a filter sock not mesh. And if your having trouble with it passing through the sock than stuff the sock with polyfill or filter floss

Yes! This is Skipper's first cousin. ;)

Here's my vote for favorite fish: green clown goby. He's about 1.5", fearless and doesn't nip at other fish or corals. Hops around like a little rabbit and will soon be eating out of my hand. :-). The tailspot blenny has been in the tank for a week so he's still scared of everything. He jumped last night when I was gluing frags down - luckily bounced off my arm and landed in the back chamber. Whew!

DPP07DD0211013A09_zps5bf8a9a4.jpg

Polarcollision

You have to slow the flow down so that the sand rolls on itself. The weight of the sand rolling will act like sandpaper colliding into the deteitus breaking it into smaller particles. Use a filter sock not mesh. And if your having trouble with it passing through the sock than stuff the sock with polyfill or filter floss

sweet! I'll give it a go next water change.

Oops. Almost forgot to add this. If your heart's desire is to have an SPS dominant tank some Clown Gobies are known to clear out tissue at the base of SPS corals to lay eggs, attract a mate and so forth. In nature they live in SPS coral to protect themselves from predators and raise their fry. However in the wild an SPS colony can withstand a little nibbling in exchange for the food the gobies drop (Skipper really is a messy eater :lol: ). In our small reefs however that could be annoying. I do not keep any SPS except a Monti cap and he does not bother it at all.

I've been following along, in the shadows.......I like how things are progressing and imo, you don't over think anything.

I like the screen top. And also, imo all fish jump at some point.

jedimasterben

Oops. Almost forgot to add this. If your heart's desire is to have an SPS dominant tank some Clown Gobies are known to clear out tissue at the base of SPS corals to lay eggs, attract a mate and so forth. In nature they live in SPS coral to protect themselves from predators and raise their fry. However in the wild an SPS colony can withstand a little nibbling in exchange for the food the gobies drop (Skipper really is a messy eater :lol: ). In our small reefs however that could be annoying. I do not keep any SPS except a Monti cap and he does not bother it at all.

This. If you're starting out with frags, I'd stay away from all the clown gobies until you've got larger colonies. They actually eat the polyps in the wild, as well, not just for breeding purposes.

I will most likely be starting out with frags.

Thanks for the feedback and advice everyone, I appreciate it! If none of the LFS or online sources can provide me with a TSB mated pair, I think i'm going to have to start seriously considering some other alternatives :P

If I end up deciding on one fish, what are your guys' thought on two cleaner shrimp? Too much? :unsure:

I want some mating happening in this sexy box!

This. If you're starting out with frags, I'd stay away from all the clown gobies until you've got larger colonies. They actually eat the polyps in the wild, as well, not just for breeding purposes.

Why would they eat the coral that protects them? LOL Silly fish, talk about biting the hand that feeds you! I bet they go to the neighbors' SPS colony to munch on. :D

Polarcollision

Little scarface hangs out in the mini birdsnest colony and in the CA tort frags in the evening and spends most of the day in a yuma mushroom. No polyp eating or flesh nibbling - model citizen. Maybe he's unusual for his kind and maybe it's that he's well-fed. Dunno. Just wanted to throw it out there that I'm having a different experience from what's been written about them. :-)

Well just heard from one of the three inquiries I made earlier:

Hi Jordon,

Unfortunately, our suppliers don’t generally do pairs on much more than clownfish. There is very little information available on how to sex smaller blennies, so it would be a guess at trying to put two together at all. We do have a few in stock, but I wouldn’t be able to guarantee sex on them.

:(

I want some mating happening in this sexy box!

I'm considering sexy shrimp but I don't know if I can feed them enough so they don't pick on corals.

I'm considering sexy shrimp but I don't know if I can feed them enough so they don't pick on corals.

That would be my concern as well. I'm not planning to feed daily, and I know these little buggers need constant food supply :closedeyes:

You eat my coral, it's the porcelain express for you! (j/k)

The porcelain express sounds so elegant for something so terrible! LOL That juxtaposition just made me laugh and laugh! Thanks!

jedimasterben

Why would they eat the coral that protects them? LOL Silly fish, talk about biting the hand that feeds you! I bet they go to the neighbors' SPS colony to munch on. :D

:lol:

That would be my concern as well. I'm not planning to feed daily, and I know these little buggers need constant food supply :closedeyes:

You eat my coral, it's the porcelain express for you! (j/k)

Well if they do I'll just feed them to my coral banded shrimp. lol

The porcelain express sounds so elegant for something so terrible! LOL That juxtaposition just made me laugh and laugh! Thanks!

LOL! Glad you liked it :P

Well if they do I'll just feed them to my coral banded shrimp. lol

Bwahaha, Gladiator style :lol:

Well more bad news from my online source now:

Hello Jordon, We cannot order pairs, however our tanks are bursting with Philippines gobies and blennies right now, and there are lots of tail spot blennies

Archived