SaltCritters.com

Hexadron's Nitoralis [Retired]

Hexadron

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

U ordered all that floss from inTank? I figured it would be cheaper elsewhere unless you were getting custom media baskets for your rears.

Omg lol @ one swedish fish lol....thats alot of filter floss

Well I figured from my last order from Steve, I would have gotten a few more fish :P He's where I got the majority of my equipment: MP10, Maxspect Razor, and my heaters. Haha, nah j/k he's a great guy to deal with! A+

U ordered all that floss from inTank? I figured it would be cheaper elsewhere unless you were getting custom media baskets for your rears.

Well I barely make it to Wal-Mart (I hate the lineups) and didn't feel like scouting the city for something that would work, and "floss" from the Fish Stores are so overpriced. I now have a total of 12 sheets, which according to my calculations will give me approx. 156 cut sheets for my back chamber. That should last me exactly 3 years with replacing the floss weekly. :lol:

Well I figured from my last order from Steve, I would have gotten a few more fish :P He's where I got the majority of my equipment: MP10, Maxspect Razor, and my heaters. Haha, nah j/k he's a great guy to deal with! A+

Well I barely make it to Wal-Mart (I hate the lineups) and didn't feel like scouting the city for something that would work, and "floss" from the Fish Stores are so overpriced. I now have a total of 12 sheets, which according to my calculations will give me approx. 156 cut sheets for my back chamber. That should last me exactly 3 years with replacing the floss weekly. :lol:

That sounds good. I use the same pads likewise but change out every 3 days or so. Sometimes more if I'm going crazy with the turkey baster. Basically as soon as I start seeing it affect my water height. There always seems to be particulates floating around and I always turn my pumps off to feed. I'm going to see if my PicO will accept regular floss as that would be cheaper. My Pod needs the filter pads because I can't have a regular media basket with my Aquafuge on the back.

CarterNichols

Are the two boxes in the rear acting as separate filters or is one a filter and the other for something else?

That sounds good. I use the same pads likewise but change out every 3 days or so. Sometimes more if I'm going crazy with the turkey baster. Basically as soon as I start seeing it affect my water height. There always seems to be particulates floating around and I always turn my pumps off to feed. I'm going to see if my PicO will accept regular floss as that would be cheaper. My Pod needs the filter pads because I can't have a regular media basket with my Aquafuge on the back.

I'm hoping every week will be good, but if it's more often it doesn't exactly break the bank either! I plan to baste the rocks and stir the sand prior to my weekly water change, and then change the floss after everything is complete.

Are the two boxes in the rear acting as separate filters or is one a filter and the other for something else?

In chamber 1 there will be:

Eheim Compact 300 Pump

Purigen

Carbon

Filter Floss

In Chamber 2 there will be:

Eheim Compact 300 Pump

Neo-Therm 75w Heater

(any other goodies/gadgets I can fit in there!)

I think having the one solely for filtration should suffice, as I plan on doing regular 25% water changes weekly. :)

CarterNichols

Could be terribly wrong here but 25% seems like over kill with all the other filtration you (will) have.

Either way, absolutely love the tank. I am looking into getting a PicO myself. Good luck with everything! Will be following.

Dude....this may just be me...but your dual overflow could provide an excellent water change. Make the eheim in the chamber with heater have a T with a two little fishes ballvalve.... one side of t goes to tank other goes to ballvalve which gets a hose connected and disconnected for water changes

This way you can change your water and never drain the display.... so new water gets pumped from bucket into your other overflow through your media rack to filter out any leftover undisolved residue from your salt. And at the same time you would hook up a hose to the two little fishes ball valve leading to a bucket and just flip it open to drain at the same time. Pretty freaking genius if you ask me lol

Ideanote_20130306_180350_01_zps5ff1a7a7.

Sorry its crude...you know how they say don't text and drive? Dont draw examples on your galaxy note 2 and drive lol

Dude....this may just be me...but your dual overflow could provide an excellent water change. Make the eheim in the chamber with heater have a T with a two little fishes ballvalve.... one side of t goes to tank other goes to ballvalve which gets a hose connected and disconnected for water changes

This way you can change your water and never drain the display.... so new water gets pumped from bucket into your other overflow through your media rack to filter out any leftover undisolved residue from your salt. And at the same time you would hook up a hose to the two little fishes ball valve leading to a bucket and just flip it open to drain at the same time. Pretty freaking genius if you ask me lol

Sorry its crude...you know how they say don't text and drive? Dont draw examples on your galaxy note 2 and drive lol

That is damn genius! You sir are a god amogst men! Seriously great idea though, love the drawing.

Could be terribly wrong here but 25% seems like over kill with all the other filtration you (will) have.

Either way, absolutely love the tank. I am looking into getting a PicO myself. Good luck with everything! Will be following.

It just seems to make any smaller volume of water is a pain in the butt. I suppose I could always store it if I made more (5 gallon bucket), but it wouldn't have any flow/heater while it's being stored. From what I hear that would be okay, but I've heard stories of something getting in there and disaster striking... A small trace of amonia sitting stagnant for a week BOOM! Am I worrying too much?

Definitely look into a PicO, amazing work if I say so myself :P Thanks for tagging along :) I've been eyeing your Edge as well.

Lol I try J....lol I like to be as lazy and cleanly as possible while reefing haha...so I macguyver stuff :)

CarterNichols

IIRC large water changes can cause the tank to cycle. I think with the amount of filtration (natural and media based) 10%/1g a week would suffice. If you have a water jug with five gallons stored and you keep a spare heater there should be no problem bringing the water from room temperature to at or around tank temp within an hour.

With just a 1g change you aren't going to shock the inhabitants. You can assure this buy buying water from a trusted LFS who regularly test water instead of making it yourself.

IIRC large water changes can cause the tank to cycle. I think with the amount of filtration (natural and media based) 10%/1g a week would suffice. If you have a water jug with five gallons stored and you keep a spare heater there should be no problem bringing the water from room temperature to at or around tank temp within an hour.

With just a 1g change you aren't going to shock the inhabitants. You can assure this buy buying water from a trusted LFS who regularly test water instead of making it yourself.

Don't buy pre-made. Make your own water as you have planned.

I change ~30% weekly with no ill effect. The water column does not really harbor any valuble quantities of beneficial bacteria, so changing water will not cause a cycle. If the new water is way off in temp or salinity, you may cause die off which leads to a cycle, but not if done properly. I would have to disagree with this guy's advice. Just my opinion.

CarterNichols

I change ~30% weekly with no ill effect. The water column does not really harbor any valuble quantities of beneficial bacteria, so changing water will not cause a cycle. If the new water is way off in temp or salinity, you may cause die off which leads to a cycle, but not if done properly. I would have to disagree with this guy's advice. Just my opinion.

Besides the LFS water point, I will defer to this gentleman.

What is the benefit to buying pre-made? JDH can control every aspect of his water if he make's his own.

Further, with his RO/DI he can have reserve water on hand for any quarantine/emergency needs. Not mention the other uses for an RO/DI unit.

Lets not start a rodi bash. He already has an rodi which will enable him to have water for changes, top off, drinking, and emergency. Also if he bought water it would eventually cost more then the rodi he already owns...and he wouldn't get the benefit of having an rodi which again is all the above.

As for how much water to change...the running average is 20-30%. Once you meed to go beyond this because you can't keep up with elemental levels is when one would start dosing/balling or use a CA reactor...which a cA reactor on a nano is plain dumb lol.

CarterNichols

Further, with his RO/DI he can have reserve water on hand for any quarantine/emergency needs. Not mention the other uses for an RO/DI unit.

Did not see he had an RO/DI unit.

Lets not start a rodi bash. He already has an rodi which will enable him to have water for changes, top off, drinking, and emergency. Also if he bought water it would eventually cost more then the rodi he already owns...and he wouldn't get the benefit of having an rodi which again is all the above.

As for how much water to change...the running average is 20-30%. Once you meed to go beyond this because you can't keep up with elemental levels is when one would start dosing/balling or use a CA reactor...which a cA reactor on a nano is plain dumb lol.

Wasn't trying. Just curious.

Ok, I was just honestly wondering if I was overlooking some benefit.

CarterNichols

The benefit I was thinking of was that the LFS probably used an RO/DI filter :P

LOL@ Stevie order. I still have filter floss from him from over a year ago.

You're lucky, I had to order an F'ing Radion to get some of those fish.........

First of all! Thank goodness for MultiQuote, phew!

Lol I try J....lol I like to be as lazy and cleanly as possible while reefing haha...so I macguyver stuff :)

That's the key. As long as it doesn't look like you Macguyver'd it, you're golden :P

i haven't heard that before, but as I am not dosing, I think a 25% change isn't going to cause any issues. It is going to be important to maintain parameters such as Calcium and Alk, and since there is no 2-parting in my case, Fresh mixed salt is the best bet for my success.

That's exactly why I invested in an RO/DI unit :lol: Even though some people trust their LFS, I just don't have that kind of faith in others. One kid messes up, and kaboom! There goes thousands of dollars worth of livestock. I prefer to blame myself for any stupidity lol.

I am very careful when it comes to salinity and temp, and monitor religiously. In fact since I started my cycle my salinity has not budged. I have been faithful with top off's (small volumes twice a day) and temp has not fluctuated more than a degree (day to night) with an average of 79-80.

Thanks for sharing your experiences :)

Keep it classy, thanks ;)

What is the benefit to buying pre-made? JDH can control every aspect of his water if he make's his own.

That's how i prefer it as well. As I mentioned above, I don't really trust even the most 'trusted' LFS

Besides my water isn't too bad of quality to begin with. It tops around 115TDS and is treated with Chlorine and Chloramines. Obviously even that isn't safe for a reef, but with my handy dandy RO/DI it is :) Constant readings of 0TDS. :)

Well said Deckoz ;)

No worries, things are easy to miss, page 5 already!

Wasn't trying. Just curious.

I'm glad this discussion happened, hopefully we all learned a little out of this, heh.

The benefit I was thinking of was that the LFS probably used an RO/DI filter :P

Most likely, yes. Well obviously we know now I have an RO/DI unit and how I feel about LFS water supply :happy:

LOL@ Stevie order. I still have filter floss from him from over a year ago.

You're lucky, I had to order an F'ing Radion to get some of those fish.........

Well last time I spent over $750 and got 3 fish. How the hell is this all calculated?! Damn Radion's are $$$ :o

I got 3 fish with my nimble nano, and an autograph. B)

I figured it out. Steve hates Canadians.

Great looking start! I love that scape too.

Thanks! I don't know if you read the first post, but you are an inspiration.

a5b3us.png

I figured it out. Steve hates Canadians.

Thanks! I don't know if you read the first post, but you are an inspiration.

2790387-IF-you-know-what-i-mean.png

He was doing you a favor, the weight of 2 extra fish would have cost you an extra 50$ in shipping. #USA!

He was doing you a favor, the weight of 2 extra fish would have cost you an extra 50$ in shipping. #USA!

The sad thing is, you are probably right :eek:

Archived