Cultivated Reef

Hexadron's Nitoralis [Retired]

Hexadron

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the avast ato personally...which is a pressure sensor...but the pump is quite loud while it works....

Which is why I suggested a smaller flow rate peristaltic.....

But I agree elos and avast are the best for reliability and stability.

Yeah, but the Elos sensor has NO moving parts to fail or get stuck... that container is nice though!

I don't buy that for a second. Everything fails at some point. It's just a matter of time. You also need to consider redundancy which is the purpose of a secondary float switch. And after that, you can use a smaller ATO reservoir so that it would run empty prior to have a drastic impact.

And then you need to consider the user too. Do you ever clean your switches or sensors? Snail or algae or other things getting in the way? I verify my back-up float switch works every time I put my hand in the tank. If I put my hand all the way to the bottom the displacement is enough to sound the high level alarm.

I'm not saying one is better than the other because I don't have experience with different brands but I will say that the device is only as good as the user maintaining it.

Really? Thought they were supposed to be commercial/ non-hobby pumps... hmmm... The Elos comes with a sensor, controller, and pump so you could just use the one that comes with it, but I thought the brs dosing pump would be more gradual and accurate, but if it's not reliable then I guess not...

Hmm, well I have no personal experience with it, but it seems pretty hit or miss according to the reviews. I rather spend the extra given the good things I have heard about the Elos Osmo Digital. I know their older (non digital) version has some issues with corrosion, but they constantly update it, and heard it's no longer an issue.

Some people have ran their BRS ones for years too though, so I guess it's luck of the draw.

Screen looks pretty slick :)

Just my 2 cents for the ATO..........always loved the Tunze....Have 3 of them, using for the last 4 years, can't remember the last time any of them failed. :D

xerophyte_nyc

Thanks for the input ESJ. I wish I could have found it/ordered the ammonia sooner, but if anything, the bacteria will have a food source after the ammonia dissipates if the food ever turns to anything?! haha

For my tank, I bought plain ammonia at ACE Hardware. I added enough to the tank that when I took a deep whiff of the water I could smell a hint of ammonia. Probably a few tablespoons for a 39G cube. I did this almost daily for a few days, then stopped and let it marinate.

I had lights on, with a ball of macro in the tank to help process the ammonia. Once diatoms came, that signaled the end of the cycle. I added microbacter in a bottle, and seeded with a big cup of live sand I kept from my previous tank. The whole process was done in about 2 weeks IIRC. Easy and predictable.

Polarcollision

I would think about a skimmer, in time detritus will build up and eventually you will have issues in the tank. I would think all you would need only 10% WC weekly this way. Today there are so many nano and HOB options for skimmers out there to choose from.

I'm also not running a skimmer -- for looks and lack of space. I was thinking I'd just replace sections of the sand bed every other month in order to reduce phosphate buildup and any dentrifying sulphur bacteria. Over the course of a year, the sandbed would be completely replaced with minimal impact on bio filter. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like a good solution to running skimmerless from what I currently understand.

There is an easier solution to this..... when you siphon sand siphon into a mesh bag in a bucket..... rinse the sand then replace it in the tank....

Btw easy way to wash sand.....in a reactor lol and the output going through a filter sock in a bucket of saltwater. This way it rinses the sand of fines and detritus...and also maintains its stability and doesnt cause any cycling in a tank..

For my tank, I bought plain ammonia at ACE Hardware. I added enough to the tank that when I took a deep whiff of the water I could smell a hint of ammonia. Probably a few tablespoons for a 39G cube. I did this almost daily for a few days, then stopped and let it marinate.

I had lights on, with a ball of macro in the tank to help process the ammonia. Once diatoms came, that signaled the end of the cycle. I added microbacter in a bottle, and seeded with a big cup of live sand I kept from my previous tank. The whole process was done in about 2 weeks IIRC. Easy and predictable.

I think for my tank size a drop per day will suffice, as long as i'm getting a reading after a few days. After my initial cycle, I plan on dosing ZEOstart, ZEObak, and ZEOfood for another 14 days ... That's why i'm getting impatient <_<

i couldn't find any pure ammonia at any one of my hardware stores. I wouldn't normally order it, but it was only like 5 bucks, and i really don't need a big bottle, so sometimes paying the same for a little less isn't so bad. More room to store other stuff :P

I'm also not running a skimmer -- for looks and lack of space. I was thinking I'd just replace sections of the sand bed every other month in order to reduce phosphate buildup and any dentrifying sulphur bacteria. Over the course of a year, the sandbed would be completely replaced with minimal impact on bio filter. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like a good solution to running skimmerless from what I currently understand.

Like Deckoz mentioned below your post, there are easier ways. personally I will be basting the sand in small areas. While I was bored waiting for the cycle, I figured maybe basting the shit out of everything would get something started :P It's quite effective in stirring up detritus, just be sure to do a small area at a time (like once a week or so)

There is an easier solution to this..... when you siphon sand siphon into a mesh bag in a bucket..... rinse the sand then replace it in the tank.... Btw easy way to wash sand.....in a reactor lol and the output going through a filter sock in a bucket of saltwater. This way it rinses the sand of fines and detritus...and also maintains its stability and doesnt cause any cycling in a tank..

Well said. I think this is a good option to avoid Old Tank Syndrome. This maybe a good thing to do maybe once a year. Just seems like so much work :o:lol:

I think for my tank size a drop per day will suffice, as long as i'm getting a reading after a few days. After my initial cycle, I plan on dosing ZEOstart, ZEObak, and ZEOfood for another 14 days ... That's why i'm getting impatient <_<

i couldn't find any pure ammonia at any one of my hardware stores. I wouldn't normally order it, but it was only like 5 bucks, and i really don't need a big bottle, so sometimes paying the same for a little less isn't so bad. More room to store other stuff :P

Like Deckoz mentioned below your post, there are easier ways. personally I will be basting the sand in small areas. While I was bored waiting for the cycle, I figured maybe basting the shit out of everything would get something started :P It's quite effective in stirring up detritus, just be sure to do a small area at a time (like once a week or so)

Well said. I think this is a good option to avoid Old Tank Syndrome. This maybe a good thing to do maybe once a year. Just seems like so much work :o:lol:

Yea depends on the tank size but on the small tank I would do it every 3 months. One week do half the sand, then the following week do the other half. On my bigger tank...its easier to just run my hand through the sand and pick up a handfull and let it fall slowly to release the detritus into the water column. Ill probably do a 10inch area once a month now through the reactor durinf monthly cleanings (the heavy duty cleanings lol)

Yea depends on the tank size but on the small tank I would do it every 3 months. One week do half the sand, then the following week do the other half. On my bigger tank...its easier to just run my hand through the sand and pick up a handfull and let it fall slowly to release the detritus into the water column. Ill probably do a 10inch area once a month now through the reactor durinf monthly cleanings (the heavy duty cleanings lol)

True. I guess with the smaller volume, things can go downhill quickly :P

An update on the cover. it's great! Evaporation has been cut probably to about half. This was totally unexpected as it is still "open" my guess is the most water movement is where my mp10 is situated, and that area is covered (back of the tank between chambers) Even if I decide on not using the cover all the time, it's going to be great to have for any trips to help reduce evap. :)

I also occasionally get some salt creep on the front corners of my tank, and now with the cover, no salt creep! RAD.

An update on the cover. it's great! Evaporation has been cut probably to about half. This was totally unexpected as it is still "open" my guess is the most water movement is where my mp10 is situated, and that area is covered (back of the tank between chambers) Even if I decide on not using the cover all the time, it's going to be great to have for any trips to help reduce evap. :)

I also occasionally get some salt creep on the front corners of my tank, and now with the cover, no salt creep! RAD.

Is that because you are now getting less air movement over the water surface? Depending on your ambient temperature in the summer time heat may be something to consider. The screen probably breaks up air movement like trees do.

Go buy a fish.....lol no honestly what are your stocking plans? I vote for smalllll fish...do like a pink clown goby with a couple blue/yellow stripe neon gobies...and a helfrichi fire fish. That should be less bioload than a pair of clowns that most do in 10 gallon tanks..

Just had some time to sit and go through your entire thread. I love everything about this. From the name (and meaning) to all the components to the future plans. You are my favorite type of reefer. A master planner :D

I'll definitly be following this. I predict a lot of great information and beauty coming out of this thread. Awesome job :)

xerophyte_nyc

You could also pee into your tank, urea breaks down readily into ammonia. The rest is mostly just sodium, chloride and potassium salts. Not sure how creatinine would affect the tank though :D

Heck, if you're diabetic you can also use urine to dose sugars.

I predict a lot of great information and beauty coming out of this thread. Awesome job :)

You mean like peeing in the tank to start a cycle? :P

You could also pee into your tank, urea breaks down readily into ammonia. The rest is mostly just sodium, chloride and potassium salts. Not sure how creatinine would affect the tank though :D

OMG Now I have read/heard it all! Guys will find any excuse to pee in weird places!! :lol:

Is that because you are now getting less air movement over the water surface? Depending on your ambient temperature in the summer time heat may be something to consider. The screen probably breaks up air movement like trees do.

Could be. I don't have a PH test yet so I don't know if anything has fluctuated, but i'm liking the effects so far. We will have to see about summer heat. Luckily my house is air conditioned, so my temp usually stays the same in the entire house.

Go buy a fish.....lol no honestly what are your stocking plans? I vote for smalllll fish...do like a pink clown goby with a couple blue/yellow stripe neon gobies...and a helfrichi fire fish. That should be less bioload than a pair of clowns that most do in 10 gallon tanks..

I'm still undecided. I would REALLY love a Tail Spot Blenny mated pair (if that even exists?) I really like Helfrichi's, but in case I feel like not using the cover, I know they love to jump! So I would be a bit concerned for that.

Just had some time to sit and go through your entire thread. I love everything about this. From the name (and meaning) to all the components to the future plans. You are my favorite type of reefer. A master planner :D

I'll definitly be following this. I predict a lot of great information and beauty coming out of this thread. Awesome job :)

Thanks so much Gena! That means a lot coming from you! :happy:

LMAO. To tell you the truth it crossed my mind for a split second :P In the end though, I decided against it. I take a lot of vitamins, so who knows? Maybe some risidual would create a crazy mutant fish later on? :lol: Hahaha

OMG Now I have read/heard it all! Guys will find any excuse to pee in weird places!! :lol:

True. :D

Helfrichi arent jumpees they are darters. Once tge have a dart hole that's where they go when startled.

The other types of firefish are large and harder to accomodate a dart hole for so firefish as a whole get yhe kumper rep

Helfrichi arent jumpees they are darters. Once tge have a dart hole that's where they go when startled.

The other types of firefish are large and harder to accomodate a dart hole for so firefish as a whole get yhe kumper rep

Ah good to know. Still undecided though. I just want to make sure it's the right choice as I'll only have probably 2 fish and don't like regretting choices/having to take anything back. :closedeyes:

Lol I know im. The same way. I was just makin a couple suggestions :)

Also you could do what I do...use the screen while at work and asleep. ..take it off when your home

Lol I know im. The same way. I was just makin a couple suggestions :) Also you could do what I do...use the screen while at work and asleep. ..take it off when your home

I really appreciate feedback and suggestions :)

Sometimes I figure i'm overthinking things, but maybe not? :P I dunno! DERP.

I'm pretty lazy to be taking the screen on and off. It looks dang sexy, but i'm still a fan of open tops. I think for now i'll leave it on, and see.

For fish, since my selection is limited, I am thinking of small, colorful and not an asshole. :P I don't want it picking on inverts or anything. TSB are supposed to have great personalities which I would really enjoy, but I know they are't active swimmers, wich is something I would also like to see. *sigh*

As long as they both stay small, you could potentially have 2 in there. In my 13 I have an ocellaris and a tail spot. The ocellaris is my free swimmer and the tail spot hangs out so they don't get in each other's space and I get the best of both worlds. :D

What about a court jester goby and a tsb? Or a rainfords goby

I actually considered those 2 gobies, but I hear they're difficult to keep. Especially in a nano.

Archived