Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hexadron's Nitoralis [Retired]

Hexadron

xerophyte_nyc

Aquascape! As with so many people, the aquascape was difficult to figure out. I ended up using a hammer and screwdriver to break apart the massive (soccer ball sized) pieces of BRS "Reef Saver" rock.

Cool! Curious, did you check the BRS rock for organics? I used BRS Pukani and based on other peoples' experiences I soaked them in acid and then bathed them in lanthanum to clean them up. You can let your rock sit in a bucket of water for a day and then test the water.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool! Curious, did you check the BRS rock for organics? I used BRS Pukani and based on other peoples' experiences I soaked them in acid and then bathed them in lanthanum to clean them up. You can let your rock sit in a bucket of water for a day and then test the water.

I did not. From what I read the Pukani is known for leaching phosphates, while the Reef Saver rock on average seems to have anywhere from 0 to 0.004 ppm of phosphates detectable after a soak in RO/DI which isn't much at all.

Like I mentioned I didn't test mine, and I could be that rare example of a phosphate filled rock! Honestly though, if that's the case, it will leach out for so long and running some GFO would soak it right up anyways.

As you could probably tell, i'm not very concerned. :happy:

I was originally planning to do an acid soak as well, but figured it probably isn't worth my time with what other people's experiences were with the Reef Saver rock. If I got Pukani, that would be a different story.

Well shit....I didnt soak my pukani.....

It doesn't mean you're doomed for.

Some people have issues, other's don't. Like I said too, I could be doomed for :P But maybe not?

I think it will be fine. It's not like it will leach phosphates for years or anything. If you're one of the unlucky ones, you'll probably just have to run GFO or some other phosphate remover for a while. :o

It doesn't mean you're doomed for.

Some people have issues, other's don't. Like I said too, I could be doomed for :P But maybe not?

I think it will be fine. It's not like it will leach phosphates for years or anything. If you're one of the unlucky ones, you'll probably just have to run GFO or some other phosphate remover for a while. :o

Haha that was sarcasm :) I already rand gfo and carbon. There was hardly any phos in mine.

You know, I waited nearly 4 years for this tank to happen with no problems, yet as soon as I added water I am so impatient. HURRY UP CYCLE!

It's killing me slowly. :(

Holy sh!t dat one niiiiiccceee tank. B)

Thanks so much :happy:

Also, I just wanted to give a shout out to Kyriakos Papapanos (christosclowns) on his new book Clownfish 411

Click the image below to go to the purchase page. His book is on sale over at Lulu.com if anyone is interested. It's also 10% off right now :)

21mwv8i.gif

You know, I waited nearly 4 years for this tank to happen with no problems, yet as soon as I added water I am so impatient. HURRY UP CYCLE!

Lol that's how I feel except I'm waiting on my light...lol and denitrification.....I just wanna start moving stiff over

Lol that's how I feel except I'm waiting on my light...lol and denitrification.....I just wanna start moving stiff over

At least you can move things over to your wonderful tank right away. I have to start from scratch :P At least if I had a CUC and a few inverts, I would have something to watch besides a wave show LOL

But I feel your pain ;)

I don't sympathize as you could have had your rock cycle in a bucket 3 months prior to you getting your tank. ;)

I don't sympathize as you could have had your rock cycle in a bucket 3 months prior to you getting your tank. ;)

I got most of my supplies about a week before I got the tank wet, salt/test kits and all that, so it wasn't really an option. If I got that stuff earlier, sure :P

Well patience is key anyways. I just have to pull through it. Gives me time to research more after all. Plus i'm not made of $ so it's not like it's going to be fully stocked a week after my cycle.

Don't know how I missed this either but Damn! Awesome tank!! Chris does do amazing work, I couldn't be happier with mine I picked up last yr. Look forward to the progress here.

I got most of my supplies about a week before I got the tank wet, salt/test kits and all that, so it wasn't really an option. If I got that stuff earlier, sure :P

My first time around with my AP24 I never really got it stocked because after a few corals I battled GHA. This time setup I aggressively stocked it in about 2 months.

Well patience is key anyways. I just have to pull through it. Gives me time to research more after all. Plus i'm not made of $ so it's not like it's going to be fully stocked a week after my cycle.

I'm waiting for you to post what are these white bugs on my glass? lol

Don't know how I missed this either but Damn! Awesome tank!! Chris does do amazing work, I couldn't be happier with mine I picked up last yr. Look forward to the progress here.

I've been lurking on your thread for a while :P Now subscribes though. I love your ATI. I'm going to have to figure something out like that sometime. For now manual is working okay. Swings in salinity are no more than 0.001 at most. Once I have more sensitive corals and inverts, i'll be looking into ATO options.

My first time around with my AP24 I never really got it stocked because after a few corals I battled GHA. This time setup I aggressively stocked it in about 2 months.

I'm waiting for you to post what are these white bugs on my glass? lol

LOL@white bugs :P

Well it's going to be slow going anyways for me probably until late August <_< I am currently saving up for a cruise for my sisters wedding which has not been kind to my bank account! I'm also heading to Toronto for a training course through my work at the beginning of May, and don't want to add a bunch of stuff then leave, ya know? The cruise is in the beginning of August, but shortly thereafter I should be back reefing 110%

Once the tank is cycled, i'll be adding some things, but nothing too crazy.

Things are moving along nicely here, I was just wondering if you plan to run a skimmer and/or reactor or some sort with this tank?

Things are moving along nicely here, I was just wondering if you plan to run a skimmer and/or reactor or some sort with this tank?

Wanna make me a reactor? :P

Haha, well I would love to try a skimmer, but since there is no sump (or room for that matter) and I don't want a nano one in the tank, the answer is no.

Once I move (no idea when) I plan on doing a tank in my living room (larger tank) and will have a sump/skimmer then. I am still not sure on reactors, as I've read that they work best when paired with a skimmer (bio pellets), but I think for this build, having filter media (Purigen, Carbon, GFO or the like) in a back chamber will be okay for this small volume.

Water changes will be a key in the success of this build. :)

I was actually looking for external skimmers, as it could be an option but, wow! $$$

Can one overskim?

I feel your pain on the $$$. I've got $5k into my yearly Florida trip. I normally drop under $2k but I decided to invite the entire family and take them to Disney World. I'm concerned about leaving my new tank, especially if I don't have an Apex on it like my other one.

I specifically choose to go skimmerless on my PicO. I haven't ruled out a reactor though. That is, if the reactor hoses fit through the cord gap in the lid because I didn't have the tank designed with a reactor in mind. I'd run GFO - which I currently do on my Pod in a BRS deluxe which is nice but gigantic. I'm all for GFO so I've been looking at the NextReef MR1 but I haven't researched reviews yet.

You could drop a pump for a GFO reactor in one of your rears JDH. I'd skip the pellets unless you plan on skimming. I don't want a skimmer because I don't want to look at it which is why my rear is capped. lol

Wanna make me a reactor? :P

Haha, well I would love to try a skimmer, but since there is no sump (or room for that matter) and I don't want a nano one in the tank, the answer is no.

Once I move (no idea when) I plan on doing a tank in my living room (larger tank) and will have a sump/skimmer then. I am still not sure on reactors, as I've read that they work best when paired with a skimmer (bio pellets), but I think for this build, having filter media (Purigen, Carbon, GFO or the like) in a back chamber will be okay for this small volume.

Water changes will be a key in the success of this build. :)

I was actually looking for external skimmers, as it could be an option but, wow! $$$

Can one overskim?

Have you thought of a HOB skimmer? Have a look at this site for some skimmer/reactor ideas. Yes you can over skim but it's generally not a problem if you skim dry rather than wet.

Can you skim dry in a nano? I can't with my Tunze because if I skim dry I don't pick up as much and I'd rather see dark tea. But I'm not declaring the Tunze is the best skimmer either. Just a nice one.

I feel your pain on the $$$. I've got $5k into my yearly Florida trip. I normally drop under $2k but I decided to invite the entire family and take them to Disney World. I'm concerned about leaving my new tank, especially if I don't have an Apex on it like my other one.

I specifically choose to go skimmerless on my PicO. I haven't ruled out a reactor though. That is, if the reactor hoses fit through the cord gap in the lid because I didn't have the tank designed with a reactor in mind. I'd run GFO - which I currently do on my Pod in a BRS deluxe which is nice but gigantic. I'm all for GFO so I've been looking at the NextReef MR1 but I haven't researched reviews yet.

Ya this is trip is costing me quite a bit as well. But it's for family, so what can you do. Don't get me wrong, I like travelling, but I prefer buying goodies :P

You could drop a pump for a GFO reactor in one of your rears JDH. I'd skip the pellets unless you plan on skimming. I don't want a skimmer because I don't want to look at it which is why my rear is capped. lol

Thanks for the link. I suppose I could. I plan on running some sort of Phosphate absorber (haven't decided which one) But I think it should be fine in one of my chambers in a media bag. We will have to wait and see I suppose.

Have you thought of a HOB skimmer? Have a look at this site for some skimmer/reactor ideas. Yes you can over skim but it's generally not a problem if you skim dry rather than wet.

I don't really like the look. Since this tank is on display, I want it as clean as possible. This would have been great if I had the option of a sump, but if it can't be hidden, it ain't for me! :P

I may look into a reactor if a bag isn't doing the trick, but I would have to be able to hide it, and I plan to keep it simple with this build. I'm going to go broke buying skimmers and reactors i'm sure, when I upgrade someday LOL.

Can you skim dry in a nano? I can't with my Tunze because if I skim dry I don't pick up as much and I'd rather see dark tea. But I'm not declaring the Tunze is the best skimmer either. Just a nice one.

Yes you can, you just dial the water level down, the foam will just go to the top but not over, at least very much, a little is okay. You need to clean the skimmer cup more often (3-5 times a week), not because it is full of skimmate but rather the inner neck will be dirty and you want to keep this as clean as possible (more effective). Dry skimming doesn't remove as much element from the water, just more detritus. But like I said you need to clean the skimmer neck more often. I have used dry skimming for quite some time and find it less stripping of elements and not as over stripping of nutrients either. In this way you will not "over skim" your water, just remove some detritus. Dialing in your skimmer is key here, I get less than 3mm of skimmate a week in the cup this way. If your skimmer is a "needle wheel" you should be definitely dry skimming regardless of system.

JDH,

I would think about a skimmer, in time detritus will build up and eventually you will have issues in the tank. I would think all you would need only 10% WC weekly this way. Today there are so many nano and HOB options for skimmers out there to choose from.

Christine

JDH,

I would think about a skimmer, in time detritus will build up and eventually you will have issues in the tank. I would think all you would need only 10% WC weekly this way. Today there are so many nano and HOB options for skimmers out there to choose from.

Christine

I appreciate it Christine :) Like I said though, I will see how things go skimmerless. I am very dilligent about upkeep and plan to stir the sand bed weekly, and baste the rockwork weekly as well. I don't mind doing about 25% water changes, as it's only 2.5 Gallons. Going to play this one out. I have seen many successful nano tanks without a skimmer/sump, and that is my plan with this build.

I honestly can't wait to set up a large tank someday though. You can bet on me going all out with the equipment on that one ;) Maybe even Zeo - we will see.

Archived