SaltCritters.com

Veng's 20L - Black Friday Madness!

Veng

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knowing my luck, the lights will arrive while I'm at work, and Tailes will go into labor the same day. I mean think about it... She'll probably be ugly to me on the ride to the hospital just because I wanted to install the lights first! :lol:

Knowing my luck, the lights will arrive while I'm at work, and Tailes will go into labor the same day. I mean think about it... She'll probably be ugly to me on the ride to the hospital just because I wanted to install the lights first! :lol:

5044.jpg

OR ...

You will be installing the lights when labor starts , you will freak out and drop the light in the water .

What's scary about that, is I could actually see that happening.

I've found visiting Nano-reef lately to be a bit like playing a slot machine. I'm never sure if I'm going to log on to find 2 unread posts or 200.

LOL well that makes it a fun surprise, doesn't it?

And how awesome is my boss - he's planning on trying for a virtual happy hour next month after our corporate call. How freaking cool?? I already know that I won't be excused unless the baby is sick LOL.

As part of my plea deal, I have to post pictures cute pictures every so often. So this is my entry:

ZuqnHTCh.jpg

knYl16Eh.jpg

R5iQvDoh.jpg

TWAlmQ5h.jpg

Luke is over today, Zoe is too, she wasn't being photogenic. Well, her hair was later....

RyP8f4gh.jpg

cnagcjxh.jpg

And this is after max got into a paper towel with super glue on it...

cSicFkzh.jpg

So.... I mentioned the other week that the garf bonsai wasn't doing well and bleaching? I'm pretty sure I've found the reason, and for a change it has nothing to do with me. It had a copper wire embedded in the center of it and it's been leaking copper into my tank. I've removed the coral, fragged around the death and wire, and what is left has been spread around the tank. I'm not sure any of it will survive TBH, but at least I know what the hell was wrong.

For reference, here's what it looked like when it went into the tank:

blId76ih.jpg

ESeoF59h.jpg

So pictures... Here's after I broke the colony off from the base.

I first noticed this end sticking out and didn't know what it was, so I poked at it with tweezers and realized it was a wire. I then took the colony out and clipped it from the base.

mbDy4zDh.jpg

This then exposed more wire, which it turns out was in the middle of the colony.

BqnRdYmh.jpg

Here's a picture of the whole base.

OuL2icOh.jpg

Here's a couple of the wire it's self.

HrwkWWKh.jpg

0yi3JH5h.jpg

So I really don't know what I'm going to do now. Probably gear up and do a near 100% water change in the morning to try to get any copper that's in the water out of the tank.

That's crazy! Yes I would do a good sized water change. The good thing is that you got the copper out, and I would discard the base of that rock too.

Puppies yes, Mandy yes. I don't see what is so cute about GSP. :closedeyes:

llama roadkill
At a different store silly!Picked up a couple of cheap things from DNA, and then some more expensive stuff from Rift to Reef. The latter is hit or miss on prices, but got some great stuff.http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/vengkal/media/20130803_144044_zpsaedb7f7e.jpg.html'>20130803_144044_zpsaedb7f7e.jpghttp://s1286.photobucket.com/user/vengkal/media/20130803_143631_zpsc2bdbff9.jpg.html'>20130803_143631_zpsc2bdbff9.jpgOh, here are two tanks from rift to reef. I think Kat would like both of them...http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/vengkal/media/20130803_134224_zps4a32fec1.jpg.html'>20130803_134224_zps4a32fec1.jpghttp://s1286.photobucket.com/user/vengkal/media/20130803_130636_zpsc3136f5e.jpg.html'>20130803_130636_zpsc3136f5e.jpg

"Don't put hands in tank"

Lol.

That's crazy! Yes I would do a good sized water change. The good thing is that you got the copper out, and I would discard the base of that rock too.

Yeah, it's going to have to be tomorrow, I'm just beat today. It's been in there for 2 or 3 weeks now, so it's not exactly going to change anything for it to be another few hours.

Puppies yes, Mandy yes. I don't see what is so cute about GSP. :closedeyes:

Yeah, that was more of an update on the sidewall status. I'm thinking 3 months and that wall is covered. Here's a pic from 6/2 or 3 months ago.

b7L1vU2h.jpg

Did someone (seller) think that wire was a suitable structure/frame to hopefully start a frag on?
I mean, it's a great looking coral, but come on . . . copper!

Did someone (seller) think that wire was a suitable structure/frame to hopefully start a frag on?

I mean, it's a great looking coral, but come on . . . copper!

Judging by the base, it's maricultured, so someone in Asia did this in the ocean where it doesn't matter. Put it in a reef tank and sad tank panda.

Tailes has decided to count the bristle worms in my tank... she's up to 57 right now. This is kinda scary because if that's how many she can see... how many more are in the rocks...

Naw, I'm a little afraid of what would happen if I got rid of them. I mean let's face it, if my wife can count 50, there's probably several hundred hiding in the rocks, and that means they're eating a ton of waste food, so probably bad if I were to try to get rid of them.

Then again, I really don't want to stop the waste food as that's how I'm keeping a solid copepod population to keep the mandarin fat.

If I did decide to reduce the bristle worm population, I'd probably pick up or make a cheap bristle worm trap and deliberately remove small amounts.

So, done with a 100% water change. Tank actually already was looking better this morning with better PE. We'll see how it goes over the next week or so.

Also, cleaned out my sump pretty good. Found a couple of aptaisa in the sump, so I hit them with aptasia-x. Rather large ones too. Hopefully I got them all, time will tell.

Sump is still absolutely crawling with pods, which is always a good sign.

Archived