inTank Media Baskets

Veng's 20L - Black Friday Madness!

Veng

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, no glass lid. I've got a cover on the sump which helps some I guess. When I had my 10 gallon, I just kept a 5 gallon jug of water near by and topped off every day or two. If you're diligent about topping off daily, then you'll be more than fine w/o an ATO. Although it's damn nice not to have to remember to do that every day. :lol:

Eventually I'm just going to get a 10g w/ lid and put water in it for an ATO.

Sounds great. Wish I had a larger ATO my self at only ~3 gallons of which only about 2 or 2.5 gallons is usable

Eventually I'm just going to get a 10g w/ lid and put water in it for an ATO.

Just for the love of all things, set the ATO to the SIDE of the actual tank. Not behind. Learn from our mistake. :P

So now that I'm bored with work and waiting on the baby, who wants to convince Veng that we should upgrade to the lovely 105? And donate a stand? :P

Pretty sure I blew the upgrade money on a baby, :lol: Although I'm sure when Metro sees this she'll be telling me I need to upgrade so the baby has something she can see from her crib.

And besides, the dry goods are the cheapest part of a tank, it's the live stock that really kills you.

Pretty sure I blew the upgrade money on a baby, :lol: Although I'm sure when Metro sees this she'll be telling me I need to upgrade so the baby has something she can see from her crib.

And besides, the dry goods are the cheapest part of a tank, it's the live stock that really kills you.

I think it's the lights that kill you ;)

Lol what do you mean?

The tank is at the end of a counter top. The tank is at the front, the sump is directly behind (not under) the tank on the counter top. The ATO Reservoir is part of the sump, and is hard to get to, to pour water in from a bucket. In fact, you really can't. You could pour water into it from a cup, into a funnel, that goes to a whole in the lid. It's the compartment on the right if you look at the DIY sump link in my sig. I'm at work and can't post a picture.

The tank is at the end of a counter top. The tank is at the front, the sump is directly behind (not under) the tank on the counter top. The ATO Reservoir is part of the sump, and is hard to get to, to pour water in from a bucket. In fact, you really can't. You could pour water into it from a cup, into a funnel, that goes to a whole in the lid. It's the compartment on the right if you look at the DIY sump link in my sig. I'm at work and can't post a picture.

Ahhhh ok, I thought you meant there was an issue with having an ATO behind a tank in general. My plan is to have it down below, off to the side, or even inside, the stand, then run the ATO from there. Would a JBJ ATO and tom's be enough? The tom's aqualifter pulls water up and then pumps it out, correct?

Well since you pouted.... I'm gonna go order the stuff....

LOL - yeah the lights and corals are what'll kill us. Meh. We could print out a big picture of someone's tank and put it in the baby's room.

I think I'm just really bored. Nothing else to clean. Not hungry, but I should eat. Bleh food.

I think it's the lights that kill you ;)

Actually, that's kinda the problem, lighting isn't cheap, but corals still kill you. I've looked at it before and just rough numbers from the top of my head, to put together what I'd want to put in it.

Tank: 600$

Stand: 800$

Additional Dry rock: 100$

Sump: 300$

Lighting: 700$ for t5s

Return pump:200$

Skimmer: 400$

Or roughly 2500$ or something. You could do it for less if you DIY some of it, but I don't think any of those are extravagant.

2500$ of corals to fill a system like that? At 1 of frag coral frag every 2"x2" area, would take 360 frags to fill the thing, at 20$ a frag that's 7,200$ :eek: So yeah, lighting is expensive, but it's the coral that kills you. :(

I'd rather have a full tank, than an empty tank, so I'll stay with my 20L. :)

Ahhhh ok, I thought you meant there was an issue with having an ATO behind a tank in general. My plan is to have it down below, off to the side, or even inside, the stand, then run the ATO from there. Would a JBJ ATO and tom's be enough? The tom's aqualifter pulls water up and then pumps it out, correct?

I haven't used one, but that's my understanding yes.

The only issue is making sure you can pour water into it from a 5 gallon jug, or whatever you'll be using to hold water. Some people run a line from their RO/DI unit straight to the sump, but not everyone can do that.

Stocking a large tank requires much less planning than a nano because space is no longer such a premium. Euphillias and LPS grow the fastest and fill space too.

The problem is if you like the stocking density of a nano. I still feel like I have tons and tons of room in my tank that could be filled. I can't imagine having a 105 and not feeling the same way.

Oh well, I guess I'll just keep dreaming. :closedeyes:

Have the new lights gotten there yet? They're suppose to come via fed ex today.

And this is the reason I refuse to get a bigger tank. I'm going to go stir crazy with all that empty space.

The problem is if you like the stocking density of a nano. I still feel like I have tons and tons of room in my tank that could be filled. I can't imagine having a 105 and not feeling the same way.

Archived