Pod Your Reef

Our "Little Jetty"

eklikewhoa

Saw this tank and with the set up and lighting structure it was a given that it had to be mine but with the tank limit given it had to be disguised as a present for the misses for whatever her heart desires.

Although she has the last word on what goes in there she was ok with me giving ideas.

So here's our "Little Jetti", splits the kitchen from the living room.

The start...

PHOTO_1351981591015.jpg

Living room view

PHOTO_1351981336996.jpg

Breakfast area view

PHOTO_1351981358764.jpg

Kitchen view

PHOTO_1351981376993.jpg

Have a replacement outlet and tube enroute and when it comes there will be a second outlet drilled into the back wall for increased flow.

Filter chamber has been slightly modded, removed Carbon bag and replaced with Pond Matrix and bonded filter pad added to the top.

Will see how the light goes for now since it's suppose to work with plants and try some softies but that's not gonna last that long with me and my modding addiction.

day 2

PHOTO_1352082822777.jpg

PHOTO_1352082884448.jpg

390171_510723782273828_157554038_n.jpg

Day 6

Now with Ecoxotic Stunner strip 8k/453nm and added return pump doubling the output.

A bit of the wifey's decoration going into effect

PHOTO_1352671138017.jpg

PHOTO_1352671096155.jpg

PHOTO_1352521980703.jpg

Started to add a few tester frags and hermits

PHOTO_1352671168384.jpg

PHOTO_1352671201863.jpg

PHOTO_1352744177833.jpg

PHOTO_1352650072280.jpg

PHOTO_1352744199682.jpg

Gonna try to add a second stunner strip along with the stock lighting to see if it will sustain life. Any personal experience with the stock lighting or the use of regular Stunner strips would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omgomgomg

It is SO nice to see a tank (sort of) from you on here again.

Many of us really miss your Tidal Wave tank.

Welcome back!

LoL, thank you for the warm welcoming!

I miss that tank too but the more I think about it the less I'm sad I had to let it go.

I see from your photo sig you've gotten into the macros!

LoL, thank you for the warm welcoming!

I miss that tank too but the more I think about it the less I'm sad I had to let it go.

I see from your photo sig you've gotten into the macros!

I got into them, then got out of reefing completely, and now I'm just getting back in, just added some Macro sprigs last week.

Why aren't you terribly sad you had to let it go?

I got into them, then got out of reefing completely, and now I'm just getting back in, just added some Macro sprigs last week.

Why aren't you terribly sad you had to let it go?

Since that wave tank I've been out of the hobby completely, both salt and fresh, recently got back in about a year ago and now back in with the salted side. It's nice to see that the macro tanks have really caught on, some very interesting macro out there.

Not terribly sad cause there was a few things about the designed I failed to think of and incorporate into it which made it a bit more maintenance than it was meant to be. It turned out more than what I expected it to though but a lot of it was with the help of fellow reefers! I think once I told them my plans for it the help was volunteered into finding odd looking macro.

Very nice so far, i have a fluval edge with an ai nano light :lol:

How are you liking the AI nano? I'm really not trying to break the bank with this build as far a lighting goes. Don't plan on keeping SPS or the like since I don't want to alter the filtration portion more than what I have already.

I love these tanks, they force you to really think nano, finding the perfect sized rock to livestock that will not overwhelm. Looking forward to this build.

Thanks! I agree, it takes a bit more work with these tiny tanks, not many local fish stores cater to their needs so most all are bulky items. In all honesty, the scape for this one derived from 2 large pieces of rock, broke them till Iiked it. LoL!

So, after reading the success that nano sapien had with the stunner strips and me finding some priced well within budget I am picking up 5 more strips for this tank.

Layout will be... 4x 8000k/435nm

2x 8000k

star polyps or whatever they are called seem to be thriving great under the light it has already so hoping this should increase growth and color.

That sounds good... 5 more strips should add a lot more light btw my ai nano is great, it fits right in the hood and i can "practically" :lol: put anything in there. I actually just got my ai nano a month ago, gonna start a post soon

That sounds good... 5 more strips should add a lot more light btw my ai nano is great, it fits right in the hood and i can "practically" :lol: put anything in there. I actually just got my ai nano a month ago, gonna start a post soon

LoL, yeah the AI should handle it all. A buddy has the AI over his 60p and I was pretty shocked how far LEDs have come since my hiatus.

The pictures make it look soooo big. I'll be following this one.

Why Thank you! :lol:

Looks like a good start. I too have been trying not to go overboard with the $$$ on my latest project. I saw the Spec V in the store and almost bought it, but I don't need two tanks and could not justify the spending. Nice work with the tank for the wife idea.

Did a little adjustable overflow plate to increase the display side water level while getting a true surface skimming overflow.

PHOTO_1352959117568.jpg

Increased the tank volume while still allowing for the surface skim function by two Solo cups!

PHOTO_1352959101210.jpg

Did a little adjustable overflow plate to increase the display side water level while getting a true surface skimming overflow.

PHOTO_1352959117568.jpg

Increased the tank volume while still allowing for the surface skim function by two Solo cups!

PHOTO_1352959101210.jpg

very nicely done. The tank looks great

Could you give us a little more info on adding a second pump? Reasoning, effects, equipment? I've put a 606 in my spec and still have two pumps laying around that I'd like to try this with.

Could you give us a little more info on adding a second pump? Reasoning, effects, equipment? I've put a 606 in my spec and still have two pumps laying around that I'd like to try this with.

Info

-I used a step drill bit to drill the hole into the back wall.

-Wanted to stack the pumps on top of each other but thought have flow on the opposite side would be nicer for a less single directional flow.

-Obtained the stock output nozzle and tubing from FLuval but used an Eheim mini pump that was laying around. -The flow has increased in the display to my liking, there is actual water movement on the opposite side worthy of mentioning as well as some flow at the bottom of the false wall near the bottom.

-I thought about using one larger pump but then the flow would be just blasting in one path and from what I have noticed and much preferred a split

Ok nice. So the stock parts are on their site then? I'll have to check in to that. I have a small zoo Med pump and the stock pump from my spec sitting around. Definitely going to give this a shot.

Ok nice. So the stock parts are on their site then? I'll have to check in to that. I have a small zoo Med pump and the stock pump from my spec sitting around. Definitely going to give this a shot.

It's well worth it from my experience, especially with how weak the flow is initially.

you know they just dropped the price of the panorama pros.

Pro's are now $69

Stunners are $47

Yep, just saw that for the black friday deal.

but I'm getting the stunner strips, reflectors and powersupply for a crackhead price.

Do the dimensions of this tank make it difficult to work in/with at all?

well, with the rock layout or rather my obsessiveness to have a good amount of rock in a tank it does. Actually think its much easier to work with due to it's length.

Picked up a new inhabitant today...

Pics taken about 30mins after it was dropped in.

PHOTO_1353129144996.jpg

PHOTO_1353129128484.jpg

Archived