3w DIY.

10x 3w

RapidLED nano dimmable driver

2x Natural white

1x Cool white

3x Cool blue

2x Royal blue

2x True violet

I swapped out one of the CW in favor of the CB but I think I'm going to change it back, it's too much blue for me. Either that or swap it for another TV.

Did you reto fit all this back into the stock light housing? I reading a lot about diy leds for the spec what kind of heat sink did you use to get it to fit. Sorry for all the questions my first reef/diy project. Feel free to pm me if I could get some pictures that would be great :-) thanks

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you reto fit all this back into the stock light housing? I reading a lot about diy leds for the spec what kind of heat sink did you use to get it to fit. Sorry for all the questions my first reef/diy project. Feel free to pm me if I could get some pictures that would be great :-) thanks

There's some pics in the thread, it's all in the stock housing.

I thought about a flaming prawn goby but wanted something that made use of the whole tank and not just a hole under a rock.

Peeking out...

DSC_1813.jpg

what makes your corals like this? i love the pop in colour :D

what makes your corals like this? i love the pop in colour :D

Not sure what you are asking?

Like closed up? there was a spaghetti worm bothering it

Color wise? Not sure, nothing special other than LED lighting (TrueViolet and RoyalBlue) but will say that my set up is more on the white side compared to a lot of other LED set ups out there that are much more blue.

Peeking out...

DSC_1813.jpg

What is that striped tenticle thingy...??? I have a few in my Spec & Spec V. (Keep in mind I'm only a 3 month reefer) Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
PaultheAddict

I didn't realized that I just spent hours following this thread in details! Your tank is my favorite nano reef yet! :D Love the way you posted tons of pictures along with each updates! I recently got a spec V as a gift so I will be starting my own nano reef very soon! Thanks for the great thread to inspire a newbie like myself. Hopefully I can get my spec V to be half as amazing as yours.

Hi Eklikewhoa. Just wanted to first say thank you for thread here. I have learned a lot about what I want to do with my Spec V when it arrives tomorrow. :naughtydance: I just ordered the replacment tube and nozzle now I am looking into the second pump. Do you know exactly what Eheim you are using, or at least how many GPH?

Also, do you think using just 2 stunner strips would be enough to light this tank with most basic corals (non SPS)?

Hi Eklikewhoa. Just wanted to first say thank you for thread here. I have learned a lot about what I want to do with my Spec V when it arrives tomorrow. :naughtydance: I just ordered the replacment tube and nozzle now I am looking into the second pump. Do you know exactly what Eheim you are using, or at least how many GPH?

Also, do you think using just 2 stunner strips would be enough to light this tank with most basic corals (non SPS)?

No. Stunner strips are only used to supplement your main lighting. ( unless it's a FOWLR)

I am using 4 stunner strips and the stock lighting on my spec V and all my corals are doing great!

variety of zoas

mushrooms

candy canes

pulsing xenias

rock anemone

bubble coral

lord acan

frogspawn

Nano sapiens

No. Stunner strips are only used to supplement your main lighting. ( unless it's a FOWLR)

Actually, in a smaller tank if you use a bunch, they are powerful enough (with the reflectors) to be your main lighting for nearly any coral, with the exceptions being those Acros that are very high light loving and perhaps Maxima/Crocea clams.

I use 2 stunners on my Spec V. An 8000K white and a Blue/Magenta. I have them up there with the stock Fluval light which I switch back and forth between the Fluval whites and the Fluval moonlights when I want less white. (only softies in my tank currently)

jtwisconsin

EK - I have been lurking on this forum for over a year trying to decide the direction to take for my first saltwater tank. I have kept coming back to your tank thread as one of my favorites. I took the plunge and purchased my own Spec V this week, and I just wanted to say thanks for the inspiration!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
eklikewhoa

I ended up tearing the tank down, the misses started to realize that the small tank doesn't allow for any fish which is what she really wants.

Seeing as though she doesn't stop me from any of my other tanks or hobbies I tore it down to look for a bigger tank.

Thanks everyone for the compliments and the following, means a lot.

I ended up tearing the tank down, the misses started to realize that the small tank doesn't allow for any fish which is what she really wants.

Seeing as though she doesn't stop me from any of my other tanks or hobbies I tore it down to look for a bigger tank.

Thanks everyone for the compliments and the following, means a lot.

That sucks!

What about a medium sized fowlr? They are underrated IMO and hold the ability to house and showcase fish that can't be kept in reefs.

• 2 weeks later...
Paandemonium

What heatsink did you use for the LEDs? I want to do DIY lights on the stock housing but I havent figured out what heatsink I'll be using >.<

• 7 months later...

Lighting for now till I swap some out for different spectrum.

6x Ecoxotic 12.5" stunner strips

4x 8000k/453nm

2x 8000k

PHOTO_1353283200225.jpg

How did you upgrade your light to stunner, like step by step? Thanks!

Archived