Top Shelf Aquatics

My Atlantis - Wild & Woolly May 2015 Pictures!

eitallent

Wow really nice colors. I'm impressed with how much of a difference the strips made. I know I said that before but ya

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice!!!! Ok..I think it's a xenia anthelia hybrid. :lol: It actually looks more like xenia in these photos. But the "fingers" are very long. Not quite like anthelia though. Either way, it's awesome :)

Very nice!!!! Ok..I think it's a xenia anthelia hybrid. :lol: It actually looks more like xenia in these photos. But the "fingers" are very long. Not quite like anthelia though. Either way, it's awesome :)

Yes, I think you are right, Gena. The tentacles have grown really long. I do not know why. ??

So I have started feeding clams and oysters in addition to the live brine shrimp larvae. Every one goes nuts for it including the gorgonians. When I started feeding the fish the gorgs were not open. A few minutes later the polyps were all out, white and fuzzy. :) How do they sense the food? Cool.

Here is my version of the "Baldassano Live from NY! Diet."

I ordered live Little Neck clams at my LGS (local grocery store :) ). They also have oysters all the time. I took both the oysters and clams home to murder them in very vicious ways. ;( Poor things. I had the grocer shuck the oysters for me but I had to open the clams myself; no easy job mind you.

I have a Pampered Chef chopper (my Aunt is a rep :rolleyes: ) which I use for onions, garlic, etc. I used it to chop, chop, chop one oyster and two clams at a time. I put the gruesome looking mixture into small ice cube trays and froze them. I have enough fish food for months!

DSCF0178_zps27196a04.jpg

DSCF0177_zpsf4d8a908.jpg

DSCF0181_zps9d1482cc.jpg

albertthiel

Pictures with a P&S digi camera!

Very very Nice .... Very !

Here is my version of the "Baldassano Live from NY! Diet."

I ordered live Little Neck clams at my LGS (local grocery store :) ). They also have oysters all the time. I took both the oysters and clams home to murder them in very vicious ways. ;( Poor things. I had the grocer shuck the oysters for me but I had to open the clams myself; no easy job mind you.

I have a Pampered Chef chopper (my Aunt is a rep :rolleyes: ) which I use for onions, garlic, etc. I used it to chop, chop, chop one oyster and two clams at a time. I put the gruesome looking mixture into small ice cube trays and froze them. I have enough fish food for months!

Yes based on what I see you do have food for Skipper and everyone else in that tank for quite some time indeed !

Nicely done ... I am starting to think about how to set that worm dingy up ... need to put them in the fridge however for the time being as I do not have a cycled tank so I will just have to use the Fridge till I have a cycled little tank ...

Haha awesome! I wish I could make my own food, but half my family is deathly allergic to shellfish. <_<

Oh, what a bummer. Are they allergic just to touch it or must they eat it to have a bad reaction? I love every kind of shellfish and would be sad if I were allergic.

Very very Nice .... Very !

Yes based on what I see you do have food for Skipper and everyone else in that tank for quite some time indeed !

Nicely done ... I am starting to think about how to set that worm dingy up ... need to put them in the fridge however for the time being as I do not have a cycled tank so I will just have to use the Fridge till I have a cycled little tank ...

Thank you Albert! :)

In time I will rig up a worm keeper. Keeping them in the family fridge is not an option for me. Yech!! Now if I had a little fridge just for my aquarium that maybe the way to go. No more bottles of marine concoctions and brine shrimp cysts for my family to fuss about! :lol:

Oh, what a bummer. Are they allergic just to touch it or must they eat it to have a bad reaction? I love every kind of shellfish and would be sad if I were allergic.

Any contact or cross-contamination, and it's a trip to the hospital most likely. I just prefer to not chance it if I didn't clean up properly, or missed something. :blink:

Yuma's look Yummah :P

Any contact or cross-contamination, and it's a trip to the hospital most likely. I just prefer to not chance it if I didn't clean up properly, or missed something. :blink:

Yuma's look Yummah :P

They do look good :)

Here is a better shot

IMAG1546_zpse1a9323b.jpg

I have only had these for a few months. It seems the mouths are slow to move apart. Mushrooms in my tank seem to be faster at budding. Who knows maybe in time they will go faster. These are Ricordea florida. Albert has Ricordea yumas that are growing and multiplying very quickly for him. He observed that they seemed to do better after he installed his oxydator. I do not have room for an oxydator and I am satisfied with the growth and well being of the citizens in MyAtlantis. :)

Beautiful! How do you find them for caring for? Do they multiply quickly?

Forgot to quote you for notification purposes.

Also, they are easy to care for. I have such a small system and there are fluctuations in salinity, nutrients, temperature, etc. They seem to be troopers!

Love that food! Well done!

Thank you, Mr.Microscope!

I am so spacey that I leave frozen food out on the counter all too often! <_< With the little cube sized portions it is no great loss if I have to throw out one. I usually catch it in time to put it back in the freezer however an overnight counter stay is definitely trash!

Here is a cute feather duster on a Duncan for ya!

2013-03-16_11-47-11_408_zpsf9793ac7.jpg

I have that chopper!!!!! Never even thought of using it for chopping up homemade fish food. Thanks for the idea :)

If only the Pampered Chef ppl knew they would probably include this use in the sales pitch. :lol:

Hi! I will be feeding the PaulB Live from NY! Diet at 10 am EST/ 9 CST and broad casting it on Ustream.tv . :)

Here is the link http://www.ustream.t...no-reef/theater

It is broadcasting now but you will want come back to see the fish trying to swim into the turkey baster to get at the clam and oyster mix. :D

Mr. Microscope

Haha! My mom used to sell PS. I still have a knife sharpener from it.

Awesome broadcast BTW! Saw you feeding and your clown goby finally came out from behind the rocks. Fun Fun!

Haha! My mom used to sell PS. I still have a knife sharpener from it.

Awesome broadcast BTW! Saw you feeding and your clown goby finally came out from behind the rocks. Fun Fun!

Yes he was probably scrounging for more to eat. Now he will perch on his favorite rock on the right hand side or on top of the heater plug-cap. Only moving far enough to perch on another high spot to observe his domain and to make sure no upstarts challenge his authority over his realm! :lol:

IMAG1566_zps11208cdb.jpg

I missed the broadcast. How did the fish do with your DIY frozen food? I'm definitely going to have to try this!!!!

Sorry you missed it. Oooh that time difference ruins all our fun! :rant:

The fish absolutely love this food. Skipper tried swimming up the baster! :lol: Marty who is normally skittish around me came right out and ignored my presence all together. :happy:

I love it when I cook and my food is eaten with gusto and obvious relish. Don't you?

Today is newly hatched brine shrimp day. Everyone is having fun hunting down the moving targets. Too cute.

I may not be on the forums much this weekend; busy, busy, terribly busy, more than a bumblebee more than an ant! (a few of you with little children may recognise that lyric :P )

Today I did a 3 gallon WC and the water params are GRRRREAT! :)

Here is the fly in the ointment, I have been pulling out my snails and taking these nasty little parasites off of them. It is the little white snails, pyramid snails, in the pictures on the Nerites.

IMAG1533_zps7c84d1ef.jpg

IMAG1532_zps91de03e3.jpg

Well, that convinces me to make my own then. And I'll use my fancy PC chopper to do it :)

So that's a pyramid snail? I saw one like that on my glass! Guess I need to pull it out next time I see it.

Well, that convinces me to make my own then. And I'll use my fancy PC chopper to do it :)

So that's a pyramid snail? I saw one like that on my glass! Guess I need to pull it out next time I see it.

Your fish deserve food prepared with class! :D

Yep that is a pyramid snail and the little buggers supposedly are fast reproducers. Get the one you saw out ASAP and keep an eye out for more. I did not realize that these were the nasty kind until I saw a few on several snails. :wacko:

Archived