Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

It should work, but check valves scare me so I would never use one. I assume there is one on that green pipe

Yes I will use a check valve. Why do they scare you?

• Like 1

how many clown gobies could i have if i went that way

These were mine before I broke that tank down. They were a pair so if you can get a pair I would go with just the 2 or fighting may break out,

• Like 2

Someone asked me a question about how I keep my tank immune, and I responded with this:

Actually my system always had an infusion of bacteria and mud. I am not sure the tiny percent of NSW I use is of any consequence. I have not even collected any in probably 8 months. I do add a little mud and did last week. But I am not sure that would do anything for the fishes immune system. I do that for the bacteria in the substrate to control nitrates. Does it do anything? I have no idea. I think the big secret is not the mud or NSW. I think it is the natural food with the live bacteria and possibly parasites associated with it. Many of us fail to feed properly. Just because a commercial food comes in a nice package with an angelfish on the front and is very expensive does not mean it is a good food. It could be, but most foods state right on the package

"irradiated to kill harmful bacteria and parasites" To me, that is a No no. We need to get live bacteria and parasites into our tank and the live bacteria should be in their food every day.

But before we expose the fish to parasites, they should be in excellent condition and spawning or making spawning jestures. DaveK and many people feel this is unattainable. I think they just don't understand how simple it really is. All it takes is some whole foods such as clams and live foods almost every day such as live blackworms. That is all you need. Clams are filter feeders and accumulate tons of minerals including calcium which is missing from many foods. They also contain bacteria as do live worms.

Fish in the sea eat live food at "every" meal. Fish in the sea are exposed to parasites "every day". That is what keeps their immune system ready to kill any parasite that attacks it. If you quarantine for a long period of time the fish will lose it's parasite immunity. Fish come to us already immune from the sea and they probably already have parasites. They are natural and normal and needed by the fish to even have an immune system.

We are in the dark ages when it comes to fish diseases. There are just as many tank crashes now as there was in the 70s. Just search on this or any other forum as to how many tanks crashed even if they were quarantined. You don't have to listen to me, just look it up.

In the 1900s my Grand Parents came here through Ellis Island. If they were found to be sick, they were quarantined.

I can put any parasite or bacteria infected fish in my reef, and do, and nothing will happen.

That's not magic or due to mud. That is because my fish are eating correctly. They are eating foods with live bacteria and parasites.

When I went to Viet Nam I lived in the jungle for the entire year, I never came out. I took an anti malaria pill every day or I was almost certain to get malaria. The Vietnamese people who were born there didn't have any pills and they rarely got malaria. That is because they were bitten every day by malaria carrying mosquitoes and were immune. As long as they had food to eat and were in good shape, they were fine. If they got severely wounded or something else happened to them, they may have died from malaria just as my fish may die from parasites if the heater broke or a Supermodel dropped her hair Goo into my tank.

All my paired fish are spawning. That means they are as healthy as they can be which is the first step in revving up their immune system. If fish can't or won't spawn (or at least make spawning jestures because they are alone) they are not healthy and their immune system will not make antibodies against parasites. This is not rocket science but we make it difficult. Just look at what fish eat in the sea. Did you ever see a wild fish eating flakes or pellets?

Most people on here are smarter than I am. All I have is more experience which means that I made all the mistakes and killed more fish than Starkist Tuna. In a long lifetime I learned how to get and keep fish healthy and it is extreamly simple. I write about it al the time and even wrote a book because I got tired of posting the same thing.

Everyone says my tank is an enigma. It is only an enigma because I found out that the correct food will make the fish immune. Immune means I can put anything in the tank and any bacteria or parasites will just make my fish stronger. Is that a bad thing?

Here is one article I wrote about immunity. I am sure you saw it. http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/marine-fish-heal-through-slime-3962/

If I were you, I would start feeding my fish, every day with something live like blackworms. Earthworms work as well. Then I would feed only whole foods such as clams. Not squid, shrimp, fish fillets or scallop as those are only the muscle of the creature. They need the guts and a clam is almost all guts. In the sea fish eat nothing but whole creatures, bones and all. Don't feed any dry foods. In a few weeks your fish should be in breeding condition. Their colors will pop and they will probably bite you when you stick your hand in there. Your paired fish will spawn.

That is the secret to keeping fish healthy. Immunity from parasites is harder especially if you quarantined your fish for a long time. But that can come in time.

Just my opinion of course.

And this:

The proper food "with" it's associated live bacteria. Not a varied diet, but a diet that the fish need. Bacteria is the key. Fish are not like us. We can live and "spawn" no matter what condition we are in. Our immune system will also function if we are near starvation. A fishes system is different and those systems will not work. I didn't make this up, you can Google a fishes immune system. There is so much new information now about the health giving properties in gut bacteria in us, and fish. But the fish needs to be in great condition through whole foods with the guts and bacteria.

My tank had flatworms a couple of years back. It may be on this thread. They didn't do anything to the corals and in a month or two got bored and disappeared. I have also never dipped a coral in insecticide or anything else and never had a problem. Maybe I am lucky or maybe it comes from the mud I add. I really don't know why my tank is not afflicted with those things.

A quarantined system functions because the fish are sterile, their environment is sterile and their guts are sterile. This is like the boy in the bubble. It can work but it is un natural and un healthy. If those fish are subject to almost anything, they will die as they have no immunity. Immunity is not only to protect the fish but the process of being immune also enhances other functions in fish. Fish in the sea are "always" pregnant. That is their normal state. Are your fish pregnant? That is the reason most fish don't spawn in captivity. They are sterile and have no immunity. Most fish are in horrible health. Fish should be pregnant, never get sick and live for their normal lifespan which in some fish is 25 or 30 years. Most gobies and smaller fish should live at least 10 or 12 years. If they are not, why not?

If you lived in a town where virtually everyone died in their teens would you want to live there?

I don't make a lot of friends with my theories. Most people think inside that old box. But gradually the thinking is changing. People are wondering why there are so many disease problems in a hobby that is 45 years old. Just go on the disease thread and be horrified.

That upper pipefish is always pregnant. Always. That is the condition all fish are supposed to be in and it is very simple. He eats live new born brine shrimp every day in a feeder I designed. I can train him to eat cornflakes, apple pie or beef jerky. But I want to see pregnant. immune fish and that is what I am seeing.

2015-02-04%2005.14.26_zpsjtqaw5s5.jpg

The normal shape of a female mandarin.

2014-08-17182316_zps5ee06f48.jpg

Spawning clown gobies.

2013-10-30171253_zpsbda7aca4.jpg

2015-03-19%2011.20.42_zpsgct2kilm.jpg

Watchman with eggs.

Gobieggs026.jpg

Spawning Manatees....OK,, Maybe not

Manatees1_zpsu4yuywbj.jpg

• Like 4

Yes I will use a check valve. Why do they scare you?

If anything gets caught in one even as small as an eyelash from a pod, they will leak. Leaking is no good and the main reason I am still married after 45 years.

• Like 1

There is no room in this serious hobby for laughter. :closedeyes:

Seriously! Fish lives are at stake here! ;)

I really liked what you wrote a post earlier. It makes a lot of sense to me. Personally I've seen my health get so much better after changing the way I ate. I have no problem believing the same for fish. We are too quick to jump to medication as the cure for everything and in the process destroying our (fishes) immune system. Not saying there isn't a time to take or administer medication, but you get my point.

I'm going to read that article you linked to and research how much it takes to feed my fish better food.

• Like 3

If anything gets caught in one even as small as an eyelash from a pod, they will leak. Leaking is no good and the main reason I am still married after 45 years.

Since you posted that comment, I have read several issues with Check Valves. Algae, snails anything if not properly maintenance and even at that its still risky.

I'm feeling a little stuck and it might just be trial and error once im setup. I might try 2 MYE check valves on the same line. I'm also considering just drilling my sump and running it through the raised foundation and out to the yard. This might be my last resort but its an idea. I had water damage in my house Aug 1 st last year so im still a bit traumatized about water lol.

Those Red Scooter Blennys are beautiful btw!

• Like 1

What do you guys do for a cyano outbreak? Especially with your huge 45 year old tanks?

I came home after 4 days away. The tank room had hit 31C and I had a cyno outbreak. The room and tank cooled down and the cyno is subsiding bit by bit.

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

There is no room in this serious hobby for laughter. :closedeyes:

mooshman.jpg

What do you guys do for a cyano outbreak? Especially with your huge 45 year old tanks?

Usually an extra 5ml of vinegar for a week does mine in.

• Like 1
Hammerstone

I've had cyano for months now and even did

Chemiclean four separate times. I physically remove it and it's back every day. I have a 30 gallon with 2 clowns. Vinegar, hmmm.

I'm slow at jokes, but I got this one. Made me laugh!!!???

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

I've used vinegar as a carbon source for 2 years and since I started, I've had damn little cyano.

As for the picture of Mooshman, he is so photogenic, it's not funny.

SixZ9dq.jpg

• Like 2

Today I got a great bargain I paid £50 (about $66) for a brand new from a guy who bought it but never used it complete in the box Aqua Medic KS1000 Kalk stirrer. I had one of these some years ago and Albert will know them and the use of Kalk an the benefits it can bring. I will plumb it into my ATU

KS-1000_zpsptzdwiji.jpg

• Like 2
Hammerstone

I've used vinegar as a carbon source for 2 years and since I started, I've had damn little cyano.

As for the picture of Mooshman, he is so photogenic, it's not funny.

SixZ9dq.jpg

It was a good hmmm. I would never question or try to offend you guys here. I promise. I was wondering how much a 30 gallon would take. I look up to you guys. Please don't be offended. I'm sorry!!! ???

• Like 2

It was a good hmmm. I would never question or try to offend you guys here. I promise. I was wondering how much a 30 gallon would take. I look up to you guys. Please don't be offended. I'm sorry!!!

I have used vinegar in the past and in fact I may use i again with my new kalk stirrer. Vinegar is just another source of carbon but not as powerful as say Vodka which has around 8 times the carbon content. Vinegar with help dissolve kalk better than just RO hence why I may use it in my stirrer.

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

It was a good hmmm. I would never question or try to offend you guys here. I promise. I was wondering how much a 30 gallon would take. I look up to you guys. Please don't be offended. I'm sorry!!!

No offense taken mate, everyone has to start somewhere. I'll give you this article from Randy, I started at 1/2 of what is recommended and went up 1ml every 3 days until the algae started going away.m ALWAYS dose when your lights first come one, NEVER when they're off.

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/116-vinegar-dosing-methodology-for-the-marine-aquarium

If you need anything Albert speak up.

• Like 1

I am currently out of commission

Will repond to messages as soon a I can. Could be Monday or Tuesday

Albert

Hope you up and running around soon Albert. Take care.

• Like 1
Hammerstone

No offense taken mate, everyone has to start somewhere. I'll give you this article from Randy, I started at 1/2 of what is recommended and went up 1ml every 3 days until the algae started going away.m ALWAYS dose when your lights first come one, NEVER when they're off.

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/116-vinegar-dosing-methodology-for-the-marine-aquarium

If you need anything Albert speak up.

Thank you friend!

• Like 2
albertthiel

OK so off topic but here is a pic of a place that has something in common with you Albert but can you guess? No cheating now lol.

albert%20dock_zps0bc7pefi.jpg

No idea Les

Give me a hint ............

Albert

PS back at home but have to rest a lot to recuperate

• Like 1

No idea Les

Give me a hint ............

Albert

PS back at home but have to rest a lot to recuperate

The buildings are in my home city of Liverpool Albert

• Like 1