Pod Your Reef

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

My Mother n law died yesterday in a nursing home. She was 90 years old and she lived a good long life. Her last few weeks were, unfortunately wracked with pain and suffering so now it is a blessing and she is at rest.

Judy was a big Frank Sinatra fan and she would always listen to his records and go to see him when he performed in New York.

She lived up stairs from us for almost 40 years and was a waitress for most of that time.

About ten years ago my wife bought her this Frank Sinatra Christmass tree ornament that actually sung in Sinatra's voice a Christmas song after you pushed the button.

8 years ago, when she entered the nursing home due to senility we put that ornament in a box in our laundry room and forgot about it.

Last week I was wasting time writing on some fish forum on the other side of the house and I heard Frank Sinatra singing.

I first thought it was a new ring on my wife's phone, but it wasn't. I searched the basement and found the song was coming from this box. I brought the box up to my wife and asked her if she knew what this was about. I thought it was one of those cards that sing when you open it.

We took the stuff out of the box, and on the bottom was Frank belting out this song. I pushed the button but couldn't stop the singing so I removed the batteries (no, he didn't keep singing) and he stopped.

I put the batteries back in and he was quiet but I told my wife to call the nursing home and see how her Mom was.

We were told that she was not doing very well and developed pneumonia and a UTI. They put her on antibiotics.

A few days later I am again on my computer, and I hear: "Its that time of the year data date data" and it's Frank again. I took him out, pushed the button and couldn't quiet him so I again took out the batteries. My wife called the nursing home and my Mother N Law was now on oxygen and they didn't think she would make it another night so we rushed to the nursing home, but before we did, we put fresh batteries in Frank and brought him with us.

We stayed there for most of the night but as soon as we got home, they called us and said she passed away. "Frank never again sang and we can't make him sing".

We are putting this enigma into the casket with her as they seem to be friends. My wife just hopes that when she gets to Heaven, she runs to my wife's Dad before Frank Sinatra

Sinatra_zps8dnuftcj.jpg

Our sincere and heartfelt condolences

Albert

What is the name of the Pistol Shrimp you have with the Yellow Watchman goby Wes? I have a pair with a Tiger Pistol shrimp. I also have Randalls pistol shrimp with my Antenna goby and Red Stripe goby. I have a problem with collecting watchman gobies and their commensal shrimps.

Sorry, I can't really answer than apart from it being called Yellow pistol shrimp in the FLS

.https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=yellow+pistol+shrimp&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=599&tbm=isch&imgil=z4vZACC5ITsWCM%253A%253BGWXhdsBB8tnLiM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.youtube.com%25252Fwatch%25253Fv%2525253DGJVxeJ8TPn0&source=iu&pf=m&fir=z4vZACC5ITsWCM%253A%252CGWXhdsBB8tnLiM%252C_&usg=__9KnoIX8zi3Igg5PCfGCxsg4wWr0%3D&ved=0ahUKEwiB19zYscPNAhUIIMAKHR6BD9UQyjcIKQ&ei=IpVuV4G-BIjAgAaegr6oDQ#imgrc=z4vZACC5ITsWCM%3A

My Mother n law died yesterday in a nursing home. She was 90 years old and she lived a good long life. Her last few weeks were, unfortunately wracked with pain and suffering so now it is a blessing and she is at rest.
Judy was a big Frank Sinatra fan and she would always listen to his records and go to see him when he performed in New York.
She lived up stairs from us for almost 40 years and was a waitress for most of that time.
About ten years ago my wife bought her this Frank Sinatra Christmass tree ornament that actually sung in Sinatra's voice a Christmas song after you pushed the button.
8 years ago, when she entered the nursing home due to senility we put that ornament in a box in our laundry room and forgot about it.
Last week I was wasting time writing on some fish forum on the other side of the house and I heard Frank Sinatra singing.
I first thought it was a new ring on my wife's phone, but it wasn't. I searched the basement and found the song was coming from this box. I brought the box up to my wife and asked her if she knew what this was about. I thought it was one of those cards that sing when you open it.
We took the stuff out of the box, and on the bottom was Frank belting out this song. I pushed the button but couldn't stop the singing so I removed the batteries (no, he didn't keep singing) and he stopped.
I put the batteries back in and he was quiet but I told my wife to call the nursing home and see how her Mom was.
We were told that she was not doing very well and developed pneumonia and a UTI. They put her on antibiotics.
A few days later I am again on my computer, and I hear: "Its that time of the year data date data" and it's Frank again. I took him out, pushed the button and couldn't quiet him so I again took out the batteries. My wife called the nursing home and my Mother N Law was now on oxygen and they didn't think she would make it another night so we rushed to the nursing home, but before we did, we put fresh batteries in Frank and brought him with us.
We stayed there for most of the night but as soon as we got home, they called us and said she passed away. "Frank never again sang and we can't make him sing".
We are putting this enigma into the casket with her as they seem to be friends. My wife just hopes that when she gets to Heaven, she runs to my wife's Dad before Frank Sinatra
Sinatra_zps8dnuftcj.jpg

Sad but lovely story Paul if you know what I mean. My thoughts are with you both. RIP Judy.

• Like 2

Thank you. This was very weird and I am still looking at Frank here, but he won't sing any more.
The batteries in him were the original batteries, I am surprised they lasted so long. Unless he was waiting for the right time.

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

I found it from one of my Sri Lanka suppliers Wes. The Randalls and Tigers are very common and cheap, that little yellow guy is almost twice what the others are, but I have to have some. My new 50 cube looks like Normandy on D-Day, craters and piles of sand, shells and rubble rock all over the place.

Paul, our condolences about your mother in law.

• Like 2

I found it from one of my Sri Lanka suppliers Wes. The Randalls and Tigers are very common and cheap, that little yellow guy is almost twice what the others are, but I have to have some. My new 50 cube looks like Normandy on D-Day, craters and piles of sand, shells and rubble rock all over the place.

Paul, our condolences about your mother in law.

Don't think mine was any dearer than the tiger or if so not by much more. I won't pay silly money for stuff lol.

• Like 1

Many years ago I made my own calcium reactor and very successful it was too. If anybody remembers them I made the body out of a Ehiem add on canister filter. This was a canister with sealable lid you could link to an Ehiem canister filter to increase the media holding capacity. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be available anymore and I have not seen one for many a year. Anyway, I had the opportunity to buy an almost new Vertex calcium reactor for a bargain price so I snapped it up. My smaller Deltec calcium reactor could not keep up with the calcium demand of my corals. I have just installed the new one which seems much more sophisticated than the old Deltec's not that the Deltec isn't a decent calcium reactor but I needed a substantially bigger one hence the Vertex.

20160625_150409%201_zps3egfsosp.jpg

• Like 2

Looking very sophisticated Les

Albert

it is Albert and you have to put it all together yourself with so many connections and pipes. I had one small leak on the water feed on a John Guest fitting but that was easily cured. Luckily there was good instructions plus a BRS YouTube vid here.

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

Don't think mine was any dearer than the tiger or if so not by much more. I won't pay silly money for stuff lol.

They're double to the diver which, in the grand scheme of things, really isn't more than $3 to me, shipping is the same.

I've been thinking about using an old Red Sea protein skimmer for a calcium reactor.It would have double the contact time so maybe more uptake into the water column. Then run the effluent through a turf scrubber to remove the CO2. Now that I have the time to do it, i might start working on it this week.

• Like 2
albertthiel

it is Albert and you have to put it all together yourself with so many connections and pipes. I had one small leak on the water feed on a John Guest fitting but that was easily cured. Luckily there was good instructions plus a BRS YouTube vid here.

wow nice

Last night when I came home after my Mother n Law's wake I noticed an awful smell. I went downstairs and looked at the tank, and it looked fine, but in my workshop I found the problem. My live blackworm tank reeked. Yesterday for a split second the power went off, but the small pump in the worm tank didn't re start. 90% of the worms croaked and turned into this discussing tan jelly. I still had on my suit and my Grand Daughter was sleeping 10 feet away so I had to be quiet. I dumped out the worms and rinsed out the tank.
I removed the living worms and re started the worm tank. Now it is back to normal. My tank needs a glass cleaning because it has been neglected with the last days of my wife's Mom, the wake, funeral and all that.
It is all over now and tomorrow life should get back to normal. After the funeral we all went to a local Italian restaurant for a dinner. There were about 30 of our close friends and family there.
Now I need to hatch some brine shrimp, clean the glass, get ready to change some water and do a little much needed maintenance

• Like 2

BL PH controller fitted on the inside of the equipment door. Next step calibrate the probes (PH and temp) then connect it up to my gauges/solenoid/CO2 bottle.

Passed my bedtime here however so for another day perhaps tomorrow.

20160627_231216_zpswcgkf49s.jpg

• Like 2
albertthiel

Last night when I came home after my Mother n Law's wake I noticed an awful smell. I went downstairs and looked at the tank, and it looked fine, but in my workshop I found the problem. My live blackworm tank reeked. Yesterday for a split second the power went off, but the small pump in the worm tank didn't re start. 90% of the worms croaked and turned into this discussing tan jelly. I still had on my suit and my Grand Daughter was sleeping 10 feet away so I had to be quiet. I dumped out the worms and rinsed out the tank.

I removed the living worms and re started the worm tank. Now it is back to normal. My tank needs a glass cleaning because it has been neglected with the last days of my wife's Mom, the wake, funeral and all that.

It is all over now and tomorrow life should get back to normal. After the funeral we all went to a local Italian restaurant for a dinner. There were about 30 of our close friends and family there.

Now I need to hatch some brine shrimp, clean the glass, get ready to change some water and do a little much needed maintenance

Glad it was nothing more serious with the tank Paul

And condolences again for your loss and the same to your Family

Albert

BL PH controller fitted on the inside of the equipment door. Next step calibrate the probes (PH and temp) then connect it up to my gauges/solenoid/CO2 bottle.

Passed my bedtime here however so for another day perhaps tomorrow.

20160627_231216_zpswcgkf49s.jpg

A little more work and things will be up and running just fine

Albert

• Like 1

Today I finally got a chance to take care of my tank. I cleaned the glass and immediately noticed one of my newer gorgonians fell on top of a large mushroom and most of the gorg croaked. That is not a big deal as it happens all the time. Gorgonians are tall and top heavy so if you don't glue them (and your fish don't like the place you put them) they fall down.

I am sure my fireclown picked it up and toppled it. That is a big problem with spawning fish or fish in excellent health, they think they are the boss of you and feel their way of aquascaping is better.

I reached in to move that gorgonian and he bit me, causing me to pull back my hand breaking off a large piece of montipora. This also happens all the time and I was going to break that piece off anyway because it was growing to close to the front glass. So I glued that piece of monti back and while I was doing that, the other fireclown, who must have seen my pain when her mate bit me, also bit me also causing me to pull away breaking off a piece of slimmer coral. Now I got smart. It takes me a while. I removed the broken piece of slimmer with a "grabber" while both fireclowns were scowling at me. Then I glued it back on the other side of the tank. A place where the clowns never visit and probably have never seen. I then decided to give up on maintenance for a while.

I glued back the monti just below the bottle neck and a piece of the SPS near the top a little to the left. (Those monti's always break)

2015-09-122021.18.39_zpsx89ktxcw.jpg

• Like 3
albertthiel

Today I finally got a chance to take care of my tank. I cleaned the glass and immediately noticed one of my newer gorgonians fell on top of a large mushroom and most of the gorg croaked. That is not a big deal as it happens all the time. Gorgonians are tall and top heavy so if you don't glue them (and your fish don't like the place you put them) they fall down.

I am sure my fireclown picked it up and toppled it. That is a big problem with spawning fish or fish in excellent health, they think they are the boss of you and feel their way of aquascaping is better.

I reached in to move that gorgonian and he bit me, causing me to pull back my hand breaking off a large piece of montipora. This also happens all the time and I was going to break that piece off anyway because it was growing to close to the front glass. So I glued that piece of monti back and while I was doing that, the other fireclown, who must have seen my pain when her mate bit me, also bit me also causing me to pull away breaking off a piece of slimmer coral. Now I got smart. It takes me a while. I removed the broken piece of slimmer with a "grabber" while both fireclowns were scowling at me. Then I glued it back on the other side of the tank. A place where the clowns never visit and probably have never seen. I then decided to give up on maintenance for a while.

I glued back the monti just below the bottle neck and a piece of the SPS near the top a little to the left. (Those monti's always break)

Wow lots of things happening in the tank Paul and yes those clowns can be attack beasts :) indeed

Albert

• Like 1

I have kept a number of common clowns over the years all of which would spawn, no big deal there. However some would attack my hand while others would just get annoyed but would not attempt to bite me. My current clowns bite me but their bite is not as strong as fire clowns.

Some years ago I had a visit from the aquarists from Chester zoo to see my tank as they had so much about it in fact at the time I had 2 tanks. In each tank amongst other fish I had a pair of spawning common clowns. I proceeded to tell the guys about the difference in aggressiveness of each pair. I put my hand in the tank near the clowns eggs in one tank and explained that although the pair were not happy at all at my intrusion they would not attack me.

I then turned my attention to my other tank and the clowns residing in there. The female in this tank was particularly large and as I proceeded to show that the female would attack me it bit hard on the base of my thumb. my immediate reaction was to yell and pull my hand from the tank quickly, unfortunately, the female clown was still biting on my thumb. As I withdrew my hand in pain the clown flew across the room and landed on the carpet at feet of one of the guys. They guys were both shock and no doubt the clown to find the clown at his feet. I proceeded to pick Mrs clown up and place her back in the tank none the worse for her carpet surfing trip. My thumb was quite sore for a day or 2 with bite marks clearly visible. We did have a bit of a laugh over it at the time, however. .

• Like 3
albertthiel

Well at least Les you did not need any staples or stitches

And yes some clowns can be really aggressive especially after they have spawned as you point

Gee I can image the faces of those visitors when that female clown flew across the room and landed in front of them :)

Albert

• Like 1

Those fire clowns sure pack a good bite as I have witnessed before.

• Like 1

For such little fish with tiny teeth, they can and do draw blood. Vicious little suckers.
And this guy is 25 years old, you would think his teeth would have fallen out by now. :wacko:

2015-06-072003.22.08_zpsixgcttaw.jpg

• Like 3
StinkyBunny

The Fiji Fires I got are nasty little beggars. The worst were my wife's IO True percula clowns, Bonnie and Clyde got their names honest, lol.

• Like 1

I soaked the tiny pump for my worms in bleach and I noticed that the hole in the magnet is large and egg shaped. This happens all the time with those cheap pumps and it can be fixed, at least for a while by putting shrink tubing over the shaft. That takes up the space and the pump will run for may be another year. Then you just put on another piece of shrink tubing. I have a few pumps running with tubing on them now.
I am also going to slightly add something to my worm tank. I need more eggcrate to put in the trough of the thing. For some reason the worms love to congregate in the holes and it makes a convenient place to suck them out in the correct amounts for my tank. I have some in there now, but not enough.
I am also mixing up some water for a water change as it has been a while and I have been over feeding for a long time.
I was also thinking now that I only have one clown gobi I may again add some acropora. They always do well and grow fast and now that my clown gobies won't spawn all over them, they stand a chance.
Those stupid gobies spawn almost every week and kill over an inch of coral each time. They also always pick a new, live place on the coral to deposit their eggs. I was always more excited that the gobies were spawning than keeping those corals.
They are in this video which I took to show the possum wrasse.
http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/2013-07-20170924_zpsa27e514d.mp4.html?sort=3&o=383

• Like 2