Pod Your Reef

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

Very nice shots of a gorgeous looking tank Les

Albert

I think gorgonians are pretty underrated. The nem has its trunk buried into a hole in a rock and is a good distance from corals at least for now. It has split twice in recent months.

Yes they are but not that easy to keep for many hobs

Great that your nem keeps splitting and making babies and more babies

Albert

• Like 1

Very nice shots of a gorgeous looking tank Les

Albert

Yes they are but not that easy to keep for many hobs

Great that your nem keeps splitting and making babies and more babies

Albert

Rather depends on what species Albert. The photosynthetic ones are easiest to keep but all all.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Rather depends on what species Albert. The photosynthetic ones are easiest to keep but all all.

Yes indeed ... the non photoS ones are not that easy to keep for most hobbyists

Albert

• Like 1

Today I needed to remove my algae scrubber to scrape off the algae. To do that I have to reach in to the back of the tank that is in a wall to remove a hose clamp. AS soon as I touched it ZZZZZAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
I got a shock. Not one of those little Sissy shocks that some people complain about like when they have a cut and feel a tingle. This was one of those throw you across the room while your shoes stay put shocks that real Men get. I know what a shock feels like because I was a construction electrician in Manhattan all my life. I couldn't figure out where the shock came from so I stuck my hand in there again. That was real smart, and this time the lights went out, GFCI tripped and I will be awake for a week and if I had acne, it would have cleared up.
Now I figured it was not my imagination so I got my meter. I can read 70 volts from my water cooled LED system to ground. I should read zero because LEDs are DC current and shouldn't induce any power. I am not sure yet why I am reading 70 volts AC but I will get around to fixing the problem. If I ground the system there is a chance that I will burn out half or more of the LEDs so I don't want to do that. I don't want to remove the fixture to work on it on my workbench (which is what I should do) as I am sure one, or more of my 144 solder connections is touching the copper frame. It will take a little deducing but I am sure I will straighten it out before I electrocute myself. But at least it brought back memories from when I used to get shocked all the time.
electrician.jpg

• Like 2
Hammerstone

I am glad you're alive too. I used to have horses with a hot wire fence around the pen. I wanted to take a picture and leaned both my wrists on the hot wire. It threw me down on my back and every ring on my finger split down the middle. Lucky it comes in pulses so you don't get stuck to it. I was about 13. I knew better but was just naive. Thought I'd share.

I was also a walking cartoon in a stall I was cleaning. I was putting new fresh shavings down and covered my rake, only to step on it and it cracked me in the middle of the head and I was out for a minute or two. I convinced my mom to let me stay home from school because I had a long egg bruise and I was embarassed.

Looking forward to more of your stories!!

• Like 1
albertthiel

Well I didn't know we shared the same father's day across the pond. Happy fathers day to all my US friends.

And the same to you Les

Albert

Bought a small Valida Tri-color, (Acropora valida) today from one of my fav LFSs and ot £10 off it as I sometime do if I am lucky and can get the owner to serve me.

Here is a pic taken less than an hour after I dipped it and put it in so yet to look it's best

20160623_194249_zpsxgejpaf0.jpg

• Like 1
albertthiel

Bought a small Valida Tri-color, (Acropora valida) today from one of my fav LFSs and ot £10 off it as I sometime do if I am lucky and can get the owner to serve me.

Here is a pic taken less than an hour after I dipped it and put it in so yet to look it's best

20160623_194249_zpsxgejpaf0.jpg

Looks great and healthy Les

Albert

• Like 1

Looks great and healthy Les

Albert

Thanks Albert. Hopefully, it will improve after I have shocked it by dipping it Albert. I have it low down in my tank at the mo but might move it up in a few days we shall see.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Thanks Albert. Hopefully, it will improve after I have shocked it by dipping it Albert. I have it low down in my tank at the mo but might move it up in a few days we shall see.

Yes watching it will give you the ability to decide

Albert

• Like 1

I have been very pleased with my Nyos 160 skimmers performance since I got it. It is supper quiet, well built and produces lots of dark skimmate as you can see from the pic's.

This is just 2 days worth of skimmate.

20160623_205251_zpskllc5ha8.jpg

20160623_205211_zpsbu7peuxy.jpg

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

What is the name of the Pistol Shrimp you have with the Yellow Watchman goby Wes? I have a pair with a Tiger Pistol shrimp. I also have Randalls pistol shrimp with my Antenna goby and Red Stripe goby. I have a problem with collecting watchman gobies and their commensal shrimps.

• Like 1
My Mother n law died yesterday in a nursing home. She was 90 years old and she lived a good long life. Her last few weeks were, unfortunately wracked with pain and suffering so now it is a blessing and she is at rest.

Judy was a big Frank Sinatra fan and she would always listen to his records and go to see him when he performed in New York.

She lived up stairs from us for almost 40 years and was a waitress for most of that time.

About ten years ago my wife bought her this Frank Sinatra Christmass tree ornament that actually sung in Sinatra's voice a Christmas song after you pushed the button.

8 years ago, when she entered the nursing home due to senility we put that ornament in a box in our laundry room and forgot about it.

Last week I was wasting time writing on some fish forum on the other side of the house and I heard Frank Sinatra singing.

I first thought it was a new ring on my wife's phone, but it wasn't. I searched the basement and found the song was coming from this box. I brought the box up to my wife and asked her if she knew what this was about. I thought it was one of those cards that sing when you open it.

We took the stuff out of the box, and on the bottom was Frank belting out this song. I pushed the button but couldn't stop the singing so I removed the batteries (no, he didn't keep singing) and he stopped.

I put the batteries back in and he was quiet but I told my wife to call the nursing home and see how her Mom was.

We were told that she was not doing very well and developed pneumonia and a UTI. They put her on antibiotics.

A few days later I am again on my computer, and I hear: "Its that time of the year data date data" and it's Frank again. I took him out, pushed the button and couldn't quiet him so I again took out the batteries. My wife called the nursing home and my Mother N Law was now on oxygen and they didn't think she would make it another night so we rushed to the nursing home, but before we did, we put fresh batteries in Frank and brought him with us.

We stayed there for most of the night but as soon as we got home, they called us and said she passed away. "Frank never again sang and we can't make him sing".

We are putting this enigma into the casket with her as they seem to be friends. My wife just hopes that when she gets to Heaven, she runs to my wife's Dad before Frank Sinatra

Sinatra_zps8dnuftcj.jpg

• Like 4