SaltCritters.com

Wholotta wawa - 180G Reef - Taste the Rainbow

MikeTR

Hey there! I've missed my NR friends. Been in a boot camp type training class on windows server all week so not much time to post. These classes really put the drain on ya but you can learn so much in a short time. I've had to be pretty attentive to the new purple tang. I immediately started praziquantel/metro treatment and then spent the past 3 days dropping the salinity in QT to start the hypo treatment. Currently sitting at the sweet spot @1.009. Tang looks much better already. Most of the ich has fallen off to reproduce and I'm ready for when they do.

http://www.marinedepot.com/New_Life_Spectrum_Ick_Shield_Sinking_Pellet_Food_125g_Pellet_Fish_Food-New_Life_International-NL83808-FIFDDRPT-vi.html

Edible chloroquine phosphate. Can't do hypo with it, though.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now wouldn't that be the holy grail! Why not with hypo?

As far as I've been told it will kill the fish. Use one or the other (there are strains that are known to be resistant to low salinity, but none are resistant to chloroquine :) ).

2 years this month!

Well aside from the recent clam deaths over a week ago, everything else is thriving. I'm lovin this new camera, can't ya tell? It becomes less frustrating as I learn how to use it. No post editing on these aside from a touch of brightness on the sailfin pic.

Wow.. I'm a bad parent. I just realized I totally forgot about the tanks 2nd birthday! That was like last week! omgomgomg

Speaking of which, baby #1 on the way. 10 weeks along, due on my birthday 03/04/15. :wub:

Wow... Yours has progressed sooo much better than mine has in 2 years! 1 bad fish choice and I basically turned my tank into a FOWLER. :(

Tank looks fantastic!

Wow... Yours has progressed sooo much better than mine has in 2 years! 1 bad fish choice and I basically turned my tank into a FOWLER. :(

Tank looks fantastic!

Yes.. but even so I don't think it's as far along as it should be. I just got to watch a presentation from James Fatheree on his 125 thats featured in advanced aquarist.. his 1" frag of green slimer has been split into 2 separate colonies and both have grown to reach the waters surface. For that matter, all the SPS in that tank was grown from frags. He does have about 10 years more experience on me tho.. and he's doing it without a skimmer, without reactors, without testing. Just drops a bag of phosban in the sump.. I don't remember if he runs carbon or not. He doesn't feed any coral foods specifically, just the fish. Was a good presentation that's got me re-thinking some things.

Sounds like it's time to rehome your fish and replenish your LPS.

So I noticed some black on on the fins of one of my anthias and for a split second started to get concerned. I then saw him attack his reflection and realized it's changing to male. He's a feisty one so hopefully he'll keep the others in check and they remain females.

Do you have a slimer? I don't think all slimers are created equal. Mine grows when nothing else will, so it will be simple to fill a tank with this beast. It's out of scale with all my other SPS. Branches that grow as thick as a thumb and fast, and not picky about water quality for growth, but better color with better water.

Do you have a slimer? I don't think all slimers are created equal. Mine grows when nothing else will, so it will be simple to fill a tank with this beast. It's out of scale with all my other SPS. Branches that grow as thick as a thumb and fast, and not picky about water quality for growth, but better color with better water.

I do, but it didn't grow at all hardly with the mp40 blasting at it. It's on the right side of the tank. Once I moved the powerhead a couple inches towards the front of the tank, it started taking off. I still don't think it'll hit the water surface in another 2 years though.

I do, but it didn't grow at all hardly with the mp40 blasting at it. It's on the right side of the tank. Once I moved the powerhead a couple inches towards the front of the tank, it started taking off. I still don't think it'll hit the water surface in another 2 years though.

Hmmm,

I don't keep my tank as clean as yours, maybe it prefers higher phosphates?

So I was reading back through the thread and got to point where your MP40 shaft broke. Did you have any noise before the dry side fell off? One of mine was making a horrible racket, I cleaned it (was a complete mess) and flow increased greatly but the noise returned. I took it apart and best I can tell the shaft is a little small so there is too much play which causes it to vibrate. I put it back together, same horrible noise, then tried different spacer amounts and finally got it to quiet down, but I think I may order a new wet side frame for $10, and maybe a maint. kit for $20 more.

Hmmm,

I don't keep my tank as clean as yours, maybe it prefers higher phosphates?

So I was reading back through the thread and got to point where your MP40 shaft broke. Did you have any noise before the dry side fell off? One of mine was making a horrible racket, I cleaned it (was a complete mess) and flow increased greatly but the noise returned. I took it apart and best I can tell the shaft is a little small so there is too much play which causes it to vibrate. I put it back together, same horrible noise, then tried different spacer amounts and finally got it to quiet down, but I think I may order a new wet side frame for $10, and maybe a maint. kit for $20 more.

You'll want the maintenance kit to fix that :)

Didn't have any noise, just found it on the floor. I got the maintenance kit and it bought me a few more months. Ended up having to get a whole new wet side. Damn nerites.

You'll want the maintenance kit to fix that :)

Didn't have any noise, just found it on the floor. I got the maintenance kit and it bought me a few more months. Ended up having to get a whole new wet side. Damn nerites.

See, I don't think an entire wet side is needed. The wet 'Frame" is the main plastic piece the shaft fits into, and maintenance kit contains the prop, shaft screws, nuts, and shaft. Unless the cage breaks that's all that should be needed. I am assuming my magnet is not what's making the racket.

My magnet on the inside was marred. Still not really sure what the deal was, but went through 2 shafts in just a few months. Damn nerites :). I would def try the maintenance kit first..

Oh holy hell!

Do you need a live-in nanny for that baby? All the payment I would need is sitting in front of that tank daily.

Congratulations!

I just spent 3 hours going through this thread. I am so jealous.

Oh holy hell!

inorite!

Do you need a live-in nanny for that baby? All the payment I would need is sitting in front of that tank daily.

You're hired!

Congratulations!

Thank you :)

I just spent 3 hours going through this thread. I am so jealous.

It's been a journey. Wouldn't have it any other way though. Thanks for reading! :DHeadin on over yonder to your thread right meow

Down in the keys till Sunday. Darn 20 bag overall collection limit. Found zoas, blue legs, nerites, feather dusters, gorgs, bright blue ochtodes, blue scroll coral, flame scallops (didn't collect those), and a few other types of macro algaes. Hittin another spot tomorrow for some corallimorphs and more zoas.

Ran into unexpected problems on day 2 of collecting. Battery in the truck died and we were called back into shore. Most auto places close by 6pm so had to cut it short. Shame because we had just come upon patches of rock nems, zoas, gorgs galore..oh well.

Archived