Cultivated Reef

Wholotta wawa - 180G Reef - Taste the Rainbow

MikeTR

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

note to self.. try not to #### with the skimmer before traveling. Tank maintenance was a fiasco yesterday. I turned feed mode C on, which I programmed to kill everything except lights. I went out to the garage to clean my skimmer, dinked around for a bit and then came back inside.. feed mode was off somehow and skimmer was overflowing into my stand!!! jiminy crickets.. Not a huge deal thanks to the pvc liner, more of a pain really.. but then after shop vac'ing it all out and doing the water change, I thought I heard more water trickling out from somewhere and thought I had cracked my sump or popped a line loose.. after a minor panic attack and checking everything, I couldn't find anything wrong, so got everything set again, but my skimmer was still overflowing.. and was still overflowing the cup this morning.. The reef gods took it easy on my and cancelled my morning flight so I had some more time to tinker with it. I got it set where I think I should, but still have too much water in the sump for some reason. Short trip so hopefully nothing else goes wrong. fingerscrossed

Ima steal this animated-smileys-dancing-074.gif

well go on with your bad self..

Your order (AXXX0940-1) has left our shipping facility and will be delivered via UPS 1 DAY AIR.

animated-smileys-dancing-074.gif

Apex autofeeder also on the way.

Hi Mike,

plumbing question ... do you use PVC pipe slipped into the overflow pipes and if so did you glue it, or just jam it in there tight?

Thanks. :)

Hi Mike,

plumbing question ... do you use PVC pipe slipped into the overflow pipes and if so did you glue it, or just jam it in there tight?

Thanks. :)

Yes, and it's just pushed in there tight. You don't want to glue them.

Yes, and it's just pushed in there tight. You don't want to glue them.

On the bottom, sump side, right? I learned not to glue the top but thought I should glue the bottom and was pretty worried about it, since there is no going back once glued.

You should glue the bottom and add a union so you can replace if needed.

Ok, thanks, that is the plan but I'm not happy about it. I really wish the tank came with pipe and a union already in place so I didn't have to chance effing it up. :)

Ok, thanks, that is the plan but I'm not happy about it. I really wish the tank came with pipe and a union already in place so I didn't have to chance effing it up. :)

Do your dry fittings, then take the bulkhead out and glue that one section of pipe, then reinstall it.

I screwed up the first time :) and slid the pipe all the way through. Didn't even feel the little groove halfway where it should have stopped.

well real estate on the sandbed is at a premium and I've got a nice clam on the way tomorrow.. not really sure what to do.

Do you see a spot for this beauty? Reference above pics. I think the hammer might sting it if put around it. It's already gettin my cyphastrea.

14282890299_0f96c8eba0_z.jpg

jedimasterben

Unlikely to sting it - clams live in and on corals in the wild, and can't really move around a lot, so their mantles are really tolerant to nematocysts.

Wow, didn't know that. Ok so I might be able to move the cyphastrea and mount the hammer further up the rock and then put the derasa in the sand.

The Lyretails are showing some aggression. So much for the DD trio.. keep it up and only 1 will survive quarantine. Carpenters wrasse has stringy poop so I'll be dosing metro/prazi. He was the only one to eat so far.

Archived