SaltCritters.com

Wholotta wawa - 180G Reef - Taste the Rainbow

MikeTR

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is one of the nicest Deresa's I have seen. Look at all that blue.

You ain't kiddin! took me all of about 2 seconds to buy it. Surprised it was even still available.

Lyretails are all eating mysis now. Awesome.

Can't see what's going on with that fish? the stringy poop?

yeah and swollen abdomen. It was struggling a little bit the night before with it hanging out. I turned the lights off early and shut the door as I figured it was a goner. The carpenters wrasse originally had the stringy poop and the reason I started prazi/metro in QT, but it seems to be ok.

any trick to get anthias to start eating flake? Currently feeding mysis soaked in selcon twice a day and flakes once in between.

jedimasterben

I've never fed flake food to anything, other than my FW angelfish a couple years ago. Now, pellets or bust.

I've never fed flake food to anything, other than my FW angelfish a couple years ago. Now, pellets or bust.

I'd rather do pellets as they'll probably be easier to deal with in the autofeeder. They showed some interest in the flake, mouthed it, but spit it out. Mysis and spirulina brine are the only things they eat atm.

jedimasterben

I'd rather do pellets as they'll probably be easier to deal with in the autofeeder. They showed some interest in the flake, mouthed it, but spit it out. Mysis and spirulina brine are the only things they eat atm.

They'll probably take a few weeks to get acclimated to the way you do things. I've trained many anthias over to pellets - start off with pure mysis, then start using less mysis and mixing a little bit of pellets, then slowly add more pellets and less mysis. They'll soon eat anything that you put in the tank. They'll see you coming and crap themselves with excitement :)

omgomgomg

Shipped
Delivery estimate: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 by 8:00pm
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens

Preparing for Shipment
Canon Rebel T5i Digital SLR Camera

Need recommendations for additional lenses. Eyeballing the Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM

12hr charter on Saturday. My hands are still bruised from fighting fish.

14583224662_1c05785410_z.jpg

14583227722_7b8ee02061_z.jpg

Don't tell me you're gonna feed all that to the tank. :blink:

omgomgomg

Shipped

Preparing for Shipment

Need recommendations for additional lenses. Eyeballing the Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM

ooh look at that. Neighbor. :naughtydance:

oh i won't be shippin this one up on loan ;) Maybe some year when I decide to visit my sis in NY I can arrange a day to check out the max in all her glory.

jedimasterben

I would get something faster - in the 2.8ish range. Most zoom lenses will not have good apertures at the longer ranges, and you will need significant light to get good pics still. I miss my sister's lens for her camera, a Tamron f2.8 lens that was fixed 2.8 even at the longer ranges (I think it went up to 80-100mm). That lens was ultra sharp and always took good pics, no dark ones that I can remember unless I effed up the settings.

oh i won't be shippin this one up on loan ;) Maybe some year when I decide to visit my sis in NY I can arrange a day to check out the max in all her glory.

Whaaaaat. You have family around these parts and you haven't made a trip? :slap:

So far so good with it. It moved about a quarter turn and angled itself towards the front. I'll wait till the dslr comes to grab another shot. The green is not as pronounced as in the LA sale pic but holy hot damnnn she's sexy.

omgomgomg

Shipped

Preparing for Shipment

All depends on what you want it to do and how much you're willing to spend. I'll assume you are value concious given you but a reasonably priced camera and lens. If you want to take pictures of single zoas or sps poylps, or really just about anything in your tank that isn't your entire tank, then I'd recommend a macro lens, specifically the 100mm f/2.8 (not the 2.8L) and a quality tripod. Really, don't bother buying a macro lens if you aren't going to pair it with a tripod, at 1:1 (most enlargement) the depth of field is tiny at f/2.8 and a tripod is a serious advantage.

If instead, you're much more interested in taking wild life photography and getting into birding, then the 55-250 STM is a reasonably priced entry into an expensive and frustrating hobby.

If on the other hand, you want to shoot people in portraits, then I'd suggest investing in lighting, and an 85 f/1.8. As for the lighting, 2x (stand, umbrella holder, umbrella)= 65$, 2x YN-560 III = 140$, and a just released YN560-TX = 50$, should run you around 255$ shipped and you would be the only thing limiting that kit in most cases. Well, they will be cheap light stands, so the wind might knock them over, so you and the wind are the only things that will limit you!

If you really want to do landscapes/wide angle, the new 10-18 STM IS is solid value option, but like most wide angles, tripods, CPLs, and ND filters are all very useful things to complement UWA lens.

So the real question is what do YOU want to take a picture of?

As to the 18-200 you mentioned, in general as zoom ratio is increased (200/18 = ~11) it becomes incredibly difficult to get good IQ throughout the range. I've found the 18-135 STM (used, they're 300$) to be a great value for the money and a reasonable compromise for most situations. If I'm wanting longer or shorter, I should be changing to another lens. If I know I'll be shooting something like "around 50mm" all day, I'll just use a 50.

Archived