inTank Media Baskets

Wholotta wawa - 180G Reef - Taste the Rainbow

MikeTR

WarGamesMenu.jpg

3 minutes... you better hurry up

nope..

I might just give away a frag pack to the winner.. one guess per person.. ends at midnight.

Yep.. I shall.. game on.

25 minutes remaining.

2 minutes

Initializing launch sequence..

winner_5F00_is_5F00_none.jpg

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Originally I had 250w radiums and was frying stuff. Switched to 150w 14k Phoenix. I didn't have the ability to raise the pendants as they're enclosed under canopy but the color was awesome. I love the Phoenix though. My fav bulb. I used to run 20k ushios on my biocube and that was a crisp blue, looked more like 14k

Old quote, but Halide question. Are you running 2 or 3 150w halides? I'm thinking of getting the Hamilton pendants, was going to do 2 250's but I really have no clue how much light I need.

Old quote, but Halide question. Are you running 2 or 3 150w halides? I'm thinking of getting the Hamilton pendants, was going to do 2 250's but I really have no clue how much light I need.

I'm running 3 x 150w's at 11". The SPS at the top are getting 350 par. Rics about 200. If you go with 250w, mount at least 16" off the surface.

I'm running 3 x 150w's at 11". The SPS at the top are getting 350 par. Rics about 200. If you go with 250w, mount at least 16" off the surface.

Thanks. I have a center brace and another person (Paulting, RC) who has my tank melted the brace using 3 halides. :) Perfecto built him a custom tank with 2 braces as a replacement.

I think I can do 14" max height with my drop ceiling. hmmm.

250w radiums

54edd476-8209-4cfd-88af-8be220fd9ed8_zps

150w Phoenix over-driven at 175w

809f7692-260a-46da-88c5-85481e12fd3b_zps

Time for some new par readings.. I only drove the bulbs at 175w for a couple weeks. Didn't feel like shellin out $210 every 6 months for bulbs.

Thanks. I have a center brace and another person (Paulting, RC) who has my tank melted the brace using 3 halides. :) Perfecto built him a custom tank with 2 braces as a replacement.

I think I can do 14" max height with my drop ceiling. hmmm.

I guess if you hung them right overtop of the brace it might... I added a fan to circulate the air under canopy and as an unexpected result, the reflectors are cool to the touch whereas before they would burn me.

ugh... just took a few years off my life.. turns out my pH probe went bad, but holy moly my heart was racin fast for a few minutes there. Started doing some tank maintenance and glanced over at pH.. was sittin perty at 7.98. Got done with tank maintenance and pH was reading 7.05.. <insert heart attack>.. before doing anything stupid I grabbed the windex (original brand) which has a pH of around 10 to check the probe. Probe was reading 7.1. PHEW!

Minor STN event due to an alk swing. Went out of town for a couple days and I made a mistake of leaving the lights out for a couple days, which is fine, if you remember to also adjust your dosing because corals don't calcify as fast with the lights out.

Skimmer is now back online.. I'll get a water change in and my reactor medias changed and back online before anything else bad happens.

defective_weeble

Mike! So after reading through all 47 pages last night (yep, bored) it struck me that you're just the dude I need to talk to about lighting.

I have a 180 sitting in my garage that I'm about to set up. I've been seriously considering 3x 250w HQI pendants, but your experiences have me second guessing my decision.

Like you, I have a canopy, so if I want to keep it (and I do) then I'm limited as to the height that I can raise the lights off the water. From the water line to the top of the inside of the canopy, I have 14 inches. If we take a somewhat generic 2-3 inches for fixture height, at the very most I'm going to have 12 inches from the bottom of the fixture to the water line.

Would you still recommend 150/175w, given that height?

Minor STN event due to an alk swing. Went out of town for a couple days and I made a mistake of leaving the lights out for a couple days, which is fine, if you remember to also adjust your dosing because corals don't calcify as fast with the lights out.

Glad to hear it was only the probe. Windex. :)

I had my first Alk swing here over the last week due to me screwing up with Kalk, and now it appears I'm paying for it here and there. Gah. I thought I was doing well not overreacting to slowly rising KH but I let it go to long. Hopefully all will recover for both of us.

Mike! So after reading through all 47 pages last night (yep, bored) it struck me that you're just the dude I need to talk to about lighting.

I have a 180 sitting in my garage that I'm about to set up. I've been seriously considering 3x 250w HQI pendants, but your experiences have me second guessing my decision.

Like you, I have a canopy, so if I want to keep it (and I do) then I'm limited as to the height that I can raise the lights off the water. From the water line to the top of the inside of the canopy, I have 14 inches. If we take a somewhat generic 2-3 inches for fixture height, at the very most I'm going to have 12 inches from the bottom of the fixture to the water line.

Would you still recommend 150/175w, given that height?

Yeah I would. I really feel like 16" is the min height for 250s. You can see my par readings above with the 250w radiums. Way too much imo. 900 par burns everything. My 1/3hp chiller couldn't keep up with the heat either. I'd like to go up to 175w's if I can find a comparable bulb to the Phoenix. Check out the lumenbright pendants. They run about 100$ ea and they give good coverage at that height. Lumatek makes a switchable ballast 150w/175w/250w select-a-watt. Good stuff and they also run about $120. Thanks for reading!

well.. reef gods had mercy on my soul...(actually they are probably still laughing at my partial heart attack) new probe and calibration fluid totaled 77.75.. existing credit I forgot about with DFS.. 77.97.. woot.

Archived