Coral Vue Hydros

Angler Away! - Wartskin Macro Tank

ccapasso

Picked up two different types/brands of substrate tonight.

Here is the First:

IMG_20120425_205601.jpg

IMG_20120425_205605.jpg

And here is the Second:

IMG_20120425_205613.jpg

IMG_20120425_205635.jpg

Any suggestions/thoughts/etc. ...Which would you choose and why?

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the second one reminds me of seaflor special grade when i had it

Ding ding ding!! We have a winner!!!

The second picture is actually this that I posted earlier:

IMG_20120423_184433.jpg

They both look very similar and I would classify them as both medium coarse substrate I believe.

The difference for me is this: The second picture was free as I had gift cards to Petsmart.

The first picture is actually this:

http://www.petco.com/product/112009/Nature...onite-Sand.aspx

and is sold at Petco, which I did not have a gift card for.

My thought was to take the stuff from Petsmart and mix it with my live sand and use that as my substrate.

Any thoughts/objections/etc?

Islandoftiki

Why are there not pictures of the finished tank up yet? What are you doing, working?

You didn't actually sleep last night, did you?

Lol...I barely slept. Didn't get home til 9:00pm and had to make all this saltwater for today.

And yes, I'm working...sort of. Actually just assembled the loc-line and have ran into a problem. The bulkhead I purchased is messed up. The threading on the inside is ruined and thus the loc-line will not fit. This puts quite the snag in my plans.

I planned on filling the tank with water and running the pump tonight. However I'll now have to improvise and just have the water in there and no pump running till tomorrow.

That sucks! Why not run the pump without the locline?

Thinking about it actually.

My have all the tubing, and I guess I could just push the tubing through the hole where the bulkhead will go for now. I think it should work. Although of course it won't work correctly as the water will be able to go in the hole which would normally be sealed by the bulkhead (which I'm exchanging tonight).

Important Question:

Is it necessary to put a mat under my tank? What will this do/help/etc?

If it is necessary, I need to go get one before water goes in.

It helps reduce any stress on the glass. It's almost guaranteed something's wrong with the way any tank is sat down, so a mat helps cushion those errors.

Islandoftiki

My 10 gallon sits on a cabinet that is topped with a piece of glass, and the whole thing is pretty true and flat, so I didn't put anything under it. It probably isn't necessary for that size tank sitting on a new stand.

Archived