Pod Your Reef

How-to: Make your own 70w MH Pendant

Mirepa

I bought a 150 watt X 2 pendant for my salt water but i hate the look of it (real yellow tint)

Do you know what spectrum the bulbs are?

What about the bulbs that come with the mogul 70w from home depot?

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very interesting work, and as you say, not too surprising.

I fyou can tolerate any suggestions, I wonder what results you'd get if you moved the MH fixture a bit higher above the tank. say 9 inches. I had to do that with my 70W as there were definite shadows in the corner when I had it lower.

A couple of other things, you are using a regent fixture? Is that the one with a curved two sided reflector? Mine is a cooper and has four sides. Also, is this typical of just your bulb or would we get similar results from AstraLux or Ushio?

Great to see someone doing this kind of stuff. I put off those types of experiments until I have a lux meter, but the light meter in your camera works the same way, and since it's fixed with shutter speed and aperature, the data should be comparable. GOOD WORK!

yardboy, thanks. I used the Brink's reflector, it has 4 sides. Also, yeah as I said before this is not a MH vs T5HO comparison in general, its a comparison between my T5HO fixture and my DIY MH fixture, placed at about the same location over my tank and the only thing we can say for sure is that the T5HO of comparable wattage is better at spreading the light out more, which is well known.

Thanks Yardboy that is just what I needed I have everything to do a 70 watt I just needed to see if it would cover the entire tank thanks again

Obsessed Reefer

I have put the pendant over my nano cube. I know plenty of people have MH in the hood of the NC12, nanotuners sells one pre-modded.

TJ I have a 70 watt MH over my 7 gallon mini bow. It is in a diy pendant. The pendant looks just like any pfo pendant. The hood is totally enclosed as is the pendant. The pendant has 20 1/8" holes in the top to vent to the hood. In the back of the hood I have a small and I mean small fan. It is 1.25" x 1.25" x .25". The temp has never been above 81'. The hood is just like my bother-in-laws on this link. The fan on my setup runs 24/7 It pulls air from the hood douring the day and the sump area at night. This is doable via a 5"x12" hole in the stand top. Hope this helps

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...mp;pagenumber=1

Have any of you DIY any sort of stand for these Brink's/Regents pendant to be able to sit on a desktop?

I've seen someone gut out an architect's work light to put in the 70W retro, but haven't seen anyone make an arm/stand for just the security pendants.

So I was at wally world today looking for the 300w halogen security light, but all they had was the 500w. So my question is if this will work just as well? Basically will the bulb fit the same or as well as in the 300w?

Thanks

A 500W is what I used. Same size as 300. The heat from a 70W mh is not so great if you don';t try and box it in to hold the heat. I've not had any issues with my 10 gallon, heat-wise.

Walmart has those Brink's lights. I picked one up yesterday after work and after tax it came out to be around $8.32.

As for the legs, some friends threw some suggestions out - gonna use some conduits and weld it onto a stainless steel plate. Let's hope this works...

halogens get at least as hot as metal halides, probably hotter since its 70W vs. 500w. I attached the ballast to the top of the light and have had no heat problems.

Went to my local Wally world to pick up the brinks pendant but all they had was the regent one, which I know has been used before but I was wondering if the brinks was any better or preferred for some reason.

Thanks

What K rating is this halide? Is it energy effective?

Not totally sure what you mean? I am talking about the DIY 70w MH pendant. I'm just debating wether to use the Regent fixture which if I'm correct was originally used for this DIY. Or using the Brinks fixture which is the fixture that this thread is based on. Hope that clears it up.

Archived