ReefCleaners.org

How-to: Make your own 70w MH Pendant

Mirepa

Mine are about 6" over the tank. Lower and the corners were too dark. I'm also one of the "Sps up high, everything else lower" school. Mine are in 10g tanks.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Ebn. ;)

I'm trying to retro a 70W MH into a PC fixture. The fixture is a Finnex 3x36w fixture, so I'll take out the middle bulb and put the MH right there...I just can't seem to find reflectors that fit that space, though, so I'll have to go without reflectors I guess. Hm.

Fancy seeing you here. :) How much room do you have to work with? You could just possibly get a larger set of reflectors and cut them down/bend them to shape.

Ebn- Thats pretty cool, how big is that tank, love the zoa's

Tank is an Ocean Free 1.5 gallon.

I'm finding that the 14k after burn in is pretty yellow myself. I just ordered a couple of 20k bulbs. Interested in how much slower growing the corals are w/less PAR (they're growing pretty quickly right now).

ok, so should I get a 10K or stick with the australux 14K for my next bulb? I have a 10K on my main tank in 150W and I dont like it very much, its way to yellow. I just ordered a pheonix 14K. I will compare the growth on the two buls to see if there's a very big difference.

Also how high are you guys mounting the 70W, mine's 6'' over the tank and I think it needs to be lower.

I'd stick with the 20Ks, I have a Astralux 14K, and like Ebn said, after the month burn-in, it's pretty yellow.

I'll save the Astralux 14K bulb for my planted tanks. :)

Ok, Ill stick w/ the 20K, and Ebn tell how you like the 20K compared to the 14K

I think, Im lowering mine to 4'' over my tank, its not enough light for some of my high light tolerent palythoas nad sps

Definitely will once I get them and give them some time to burn in.

Also, interested in how well the palys, zoas, and micros do. They've been growing like gangbuster for me for the last month (e.g. single polyp of AoG went from 1 to forming its 3rd new mouth).

I just swiched from a 10K AB 150W to a 14K pheonix 150W on my 20H, on my palys Im getting a little more than one full sized polyp a month, interested to see the changes.

Definitely will once I get them and give them some time to burn in.

Also, interested in how well the palys, zoas, and micros do. They've been growing like gangbuster for me for the last month (e.g. single polyp of AoG went from 1 to forming its 3rd new mouth).

Wow. Keep the 14K until you recover some $ from those purple deaths you got. ;)

Interesting experiences. Here's a shot of my 10g with an Astra Lux 14K driven by a ballastwise electronic ballast. It's been running for over 4 months.

fts032807.jpg

Comared to when I first fired it, it has lost some blue, but I wouldn't say it's turned yellow.

setupwithlights3121806.jpg

Juanhunglo69

Just adding a comment so that I can follow this later. I have no walmarts to go to and have to get everything else mail ordered so I will be trying this one too.

350W or 500W halogen worklight is what it is. Several different brand names and places to get them. I'll bet they have them in Germany too, unless they're illegal because they use to much electricity or something like that.

Drove 40 miles to get to the nearest wal-mart today because HD only had the worklights, which seemed too big and heavy for my pico tank. I got 2 Brinks ones, which are much lighter, and the perfect size.

Juanhunglo69
Good Luck, if you have any ? be free to ask. Home Depot also has these.

I have Hela mart, praktiker, and Toom market. They are German places. There is actually a Walmart here but it's 2 hours away and nothing like a real walmart. It just has the name. I was acually dissapointed when I went in. Kind of like a super walmart with nothing that I want. Well there was those hot chicks walking around in there...........

Quote: "Well there was those hot chicks walking around in there..........."

You're right, that doesn't sound like a Wal-Mart in the States.

Do you guys/gals think this will work?

Warning: It'll open a PDF.

http://www.powerselectinc.com/pdf/PS13B20T...9T_PS13B70T.pdf

I've been having problems finding NAiS (Aromat) ballasts to fit. They have a new Slim/Square line of electronic HID ballasts out, but I can't find anywhere to buy them. There were a few people on the forums, but I have no idea where they got the ballasts from!

ok, I got my ballast and the fixture, The fixture has the black and white cords that connect to the red and blue cords. But then there is a green cord, I bought the ballast at illumning with the juction box and power cords, so the green cord is already grounded on it. Were does the green cord go on the fixture?

Where did you end up wiring the ground cord from the fixture to? I just got the same setup today and that's the only thing keeping me from powering this baby up.

illuming sells the new slim ones don't they?

http://www.illuming.com/catalog/product_in...products_id=265

Doesn't look like it.

They have a link to this page: As of October 2002 Aromat has discontinued "'standard size" "- 3 generation" ballasts for 39W & 70W ballasts. These model numbers known as "3EU" (i.e., M3912CK-3EU) have been replaced by the "5EU" models (M3912-27CK-5EU).

I'm looking for the 6EU models.

Just finished installing mine. WOW is all I can say. Definitely worth the money and one of the easiest, quickest DIY's I've ever done. Not only do I have shimmer in the tank but it reflects up onto the ceiling as well. Very cool.

Archived