Coral Vue Hydros

How-to: Make your own 70w MH Pendant

Mirepa

Hey Guys. I'm new to this sort of thing. I know everyone is responsible for their own actions when it comes to safety. But I was hoping someone could tell me ifit is realisttic to rig something like this into the hood of my BioCube 8. I just don't know how much heat is created with these MH bulbs.

I'm thinking about opening/cutting the hood vents a little and replacing the stock fans with ones that have a little better flow. Maybe rigging a third fan to blow a little closer to the bulb. Does this sound realistic? Or would there still be too much heat with a closed hood?

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obsessed Reefer

Hey Stallen, and :welcome: ,

This wouldn't be such a good one to put in the hood, but if you go Here and find post #177, which is where that link goes, that is to put it in the hood of a Nano Cube, In the bio cube, I wouldn't recommend putting it in the hood, cus you need more space for the fans, but this DIY for the pendant, would work good.

Why don't you just make a step by step link on what you need to get and how to install it? I'm sort of confused on what to get and how to put it together after reading the thread. Just a suggestion. Thanks

are some of you running these double ended bulbs off m98 ballasts???

im just curious because the m98's are easy to find, but i thought these double ended bulbs are supposed to run off m85's???

please let me know if i can run a double ended bulb on a m98 as this would make my day haha

thanks

The beginning of this thread has very well documented instructions, step-by-step with pictures about how to go about the retrofit.

The instructions, and most info in this thread relate to electronic ballasts. There is bound to be a magnetic ballast that will run the 70W HQI. Find out from your ballast manufacturer and post it here. Generally magnetics are cheaper than electronics, but in this case I think the electronics may be cheaper.

I ordered a ballast-wis on Oct. 25, they just shipped it today, due to arrive on 11/27. Kinda slow, glad reefkeeping taught me patience!

My first one took ten days and yeah, a month is too long, but the tanks been cycling all that time, and at half the price I was willing to wait.

So what do they say?

Ballast life?

bulb intensity?

bulb life?

That would be good information to know and tell. My only experience with 70W metal halide bulbs is with the ballast-wise and it has worked fine for several months now. I haven't measured the intensity or compared it to any thing else, but my corals seem to like it and the color of the Astra lux 14000K is great to look at. Other than the length of time it took to get my second ballast (which could be because they've become more sought after because they're cheaper and work as well) I've been pleased.

Obsessed Reefer

Well I still haven't gotten a refund from ballast-wise, and they said they would issue one over 3 weeks ago.

But ppl say it has good burn life, plus if my neighbor, who is an electrician says its good, I'm pretty sure its good. lol

• 2 weeks later...

i decided to go ahead and try this so i bought an Regent 300w Halogen and the ballast from ballastwise(it only took a week). but i was wonderinng how do you ground the ballast..there is no ground wire coming from the case like the NAIS ballast. it says "ballast case must be grounded" so i am unsure as what to do.

any help...

Attach the ground wire to the screw holding the case down to whatever you attach it to. Or if the ballast is just laying free, yuu can use a nut and machine screw to attach it to one of the ears on the ballast that you'd normally use to attach it to a case. Photo later if no one else has one.

PseudanthiasVentralis

Can you use the bulb that comes with the light to begin with? I bought a 150 watt X 2 pendant for my salt water but i hate the look of it (real yellow tint) and do you have to buy a ballast if you can just plug in the regular system?

Thanks.

Also can i just put in regular 14000k mh bulbs in the system or do i need the ballast?

Obsessed Reefer

You need the ballast. 120 volts will fry a MH bulb, plus, if you just put the work light over the tank, it will fry the tank, puts off 500 watts of heat. no thanks

PseudanthiasVentralis
You need the ballast. 120 volts will fry a MH bulb, plus, if you just put the work light over the tank, it will fry the tank, puts off 500 watts of heat. no thanks

Well its over a 55 gallon and ive only seen about a 2 degree change even if i run it all day (its hung about 8 inches away from the glass lids.)

What balast would i have to buy? And is it hard to re wire the thing?

Thanks for all the help.

pseudan r u trying to say u already have 2 150 watt mh running over the tank now and it is to yellow?do u just want to switch the bulbs to a diffrent k?if so u can change the bulbs to a diffrent k as long as the bulb is the same watt using the same ballast.hth

Obsessed Reefer
Well its over a 55 gallon and ive only seen about a 2 degree change even if i run it all day (its hung about 8 inches away from the glass lids.)

What balast would i have to buy? And is it hard to re wire the thing?

Thanks for all the help.

Well first off, I agree with reefone to the point that, if you have two of the work lights and not MH fixtures (coralife, current usa, etc...) then you cant just change the bulb, because you need to add a MH ballast to but in any MH bulbs.the work light, light bulbs are a different type.

Archived