Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How-to: Make your own 70w MH Pendant

Mirepa

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not the retro kit, just the ballast with cords. No need for a retro kit if you're getting the security light as it already has the sockets and reflector.

What I want to know is what is the best paint to use for something that's going to get so hot? I have standard rustoleum indoor/outdoor spray paint and krylon fusion, neither of which I think would be good.

Here's mine with the Brink's floodlight housing (it's definitely smaller than the Regent). It's been painted Rustoleum metallic bronze to match the shelf that it sits on. Bulb used is 14,000k.

MH01%20parts.jpg

MH03.jpg

MH04.jpg

D2X_6118.jpg

ReefApprentice

PLUG:

If you guys need a 14k 70w check out the group buy thread in classifides.

Hey Ebn. ;)

I'm trying to retro a 70W MH into a PC fixture. The fixture is a Finnex 3x36w fixture, so I'll take out the middle bulb and put the MH right there...I just can't seem to find reflectors that fit that space, though, so I'll have to go without reflectors I guess. Hm.

sorry for the late reply!

epicfish-All I got was the illumning ballast 70wt and also puchased the powercords and junction bow with it b/c I didnt want to make them myself.

I would check out some of the sponsers here at NR they have reflctors FS.

I would go with the nais ballast, its alot nicer than the ballastwise ones, IMO

Uhuru- mine doesnt get to hot, so I just used a can of outdoor spraypaint, I think Krylon fusion would work too, look at the back of the can it usually tells how hot of a surface you should apply to

I just used cable and looped it around the junction box on the back of the worklight. The box is held on by 4 heavy duty screws so Its plenty of support, and it hangs my pendent evenly, Its very secure since its basically screwed on

Ebn- Thats pretty cool, how big is that tank, love the zoa's

sambo, did you have to rewire anything inside the Regents junction box, or did you splice the power cord itself and wire that to the illuming junction box?

I removed the power cord from the regent fixture and then wired the the power cord from the ballast inside the juction bow on the regent ( bought the ballast w/ the powercords) Its very easy you just connect two wire and ground one, then you screw the lid back on, add the bulb, paint it, and hang it and your done

I removed the power cord from the regent fixture and then wired the the power cord from the ballast inside the juction bow on the regent ( bought the ballast w/ the powercords) Its very easy you just connect two wire and ground one, then you screw the lid back on, add the bulb, paint it, and hang it and your done

Looks great. :)

My fixture comes with 3 bulbs & 3 ballasts, so I'm gonna take one out and replace it with the MH ballast.

Do you find that the NAIS ballast runs pretty hot, or is it OK?

I only have one fan in the fixture, so I'm a little worried about the heat production. =/

it looks like if you get the ballast w/junction box from illuming you can get a 6 ft lamp cord, so you can mount your ballast outside of your fixture in your stand or wherever.

it looks like if you get the ballast w/junction box from illuming you can get a 6 ft lamp cord, so you can mount your ballast outside of your fixture in your stand or wherever.

I can probably fit it in the hood for a cleaner look....worried about heat production from the MH. There's a 60mm fan wired in there, but I doubt that's enough.

I got mine with the power cord and mounted the ballast under the stand, It isnt very hot, but I would mount it off the fixture if possible.

Sambo, I've been running the ballastwise for some months now, and wondering by what criteria you rate the NAIS as better? They don't cost a lot more, I may get one just to judge for myself, but still wondering what you see that makes you recommend the NAIS?

Ive just sen that it runs better and is recomended more, i dont really know, i mean if your happy with it and it works ok then its good enough for me, maybe try one out sometime and compare them

Man, if I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, "I've got to get a light meter! That would sure determine what lights are suitable.

I'm thinking of putting two 70's on a 20L, that might be the best place to test the different bulb/ballast combinations.

good idea, im still upset b/c I got the 20K Ushio for my frag tank, it way too blue for me, should have gotten the australux 14K!

A 10000K will probably make them grow better if it's a frag tank. ;)

I'm not sure whether I should get an Astralux 14K or the cheap WZG 14K bulbs...?

A 10000K will probably make them grow better if it's a frag tank. ;)

I'm not sure whether I should get an Astralux 14K or the cheap WZG 14K bulbs...?

Why? I thought a 14K and 20K provide the best growth. I doesnt relly matter though, I will probably getting the australux 14K in a lttle while.

PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) provides growth, and typically the higher the K, the lower the PAR. The greatest PAR is found in a Iwasaki 6500K bulb, after that it's 10000K's. For growth that would be what you'd want. For appearance, the higher K's are popular.

ok, so should I get a 10K or stick with the australux 14K for my next bulb? I have a 10K on my main tank in 150W and I dont like it very much, its way to yellow. I just ordered a pheonix 14K. I will compare the growth on the two buls to see if there's a very big difference.

Also how high are you guys mounting the 70W, mine's 6'' over the tank and I think it needs to be lower.

Archived