SaltCritters.com

How-to: Make your own 70w MH Pendant

Mirepa

Obsessed Reefer

Ok. Question. Do you need to add the ballast to see if the bulb works? Because if the thing powers a 500W bulb, and this is only 70 watts, shouldn't it work?

Because I got my bulb and I wanna make sure it works, but I haven't gotten an email saying that my ballast was shipped.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok. Question. Do you need to add the ballast to see if the bulb works? Because if the thing powers a 500W bulb, and this is only 70 watts, shouldn't it work?

Because I got my bulb and I wanna make sure it works, but I haven't gotten an email saying that my ballast was shipped.

You need the proper ballast for it to work.

You could supply your own mogul or endcaps.

The point of this was to create a DIY pendant, self contained with a good reflector and UV protection.

i know, i was just wondering if there is any concern for heat issues in a wooden canopy because i would like to retro fit it in a canopy but i do not want to burn down my house

Well, while I wouldn't want to be responsible for anything adverse that may happen to someone DIY'ing anything (We've all got to ber responsible for our own actions) I have personally put a spider reflector for a 250W metal halide in a wooden canopy with no adverse effects. Matter of fact, I'll bet many people have.

Why not just mount the whole fixture in the canopy, with a fan to remove heat, or at least holes in the top of the canopy to let heat escape.

What do you mean?

You cant like... buy it?

I purchased one from there, 10/21/06, and it has yet to be shipped.

ya like

Credit Card

Exp. Date

CVV2

What is CVV2 and it ask for a company

I think they ship those ballasts from China or something. Lat time I ordered one it was right at 10 days. I've ordered another a week ago and it shipped the next day, but I haven't seen it yet.

i ordered one of the bulbs but turns out they were out of stock so the $45 bulb actually cost 60 shipped

The ballast company is located in Covina, CA 91722 so they must just be lazy

Archived