Cultivated Reef

EZs Aquapod 24 with 150 MH

ezcompany

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I second what Juin21 says about EZ's tank in person. Its really beautiful, so is his 6 gallon. Plus, E to da Z is a cool cat. B)

thanks, A to the Sin :mellow:

finally got the yasha to come out while doing my once a week coral feeding frenzy

(i almost killed my peppermint. he's annoying as heIIIIIIIIIIIIII)

img3202ne8.jpg

img3198ix2.jpg

Wow! Great pictures of your yahsa! I almost got one yesterday (now I am kinda wishing I did ;) ), but instead I got a Tangaroa Shrimp Goby to replace my lost Hi-Fin Goby. Waiting for him to find the pistol shrimp now (and hopefully pair up).

Hey Jin, what kind of camera are you using?

my old school camera, canon S1. whats a tangaroa shrimp goby??? gotta look it up now

Sweet Yasha. You know, you could always throw that annoying Peppermint in the bag with the doughnut. I wouldn't mind. :D

yeah, but the bad boy keeps my aptisia in check. rips them out like there's no tomorrow. so i'm forced to tolerate him :(

speaking of gobies, i saw a picture of one that was aweosme. It had a really high fin and fetched about $100 a piece. Anyone know which one im talking about?

Wow - first post - after reading a very long but enjoyable thread :D - i really like your tank its very impressive. Im planning on gettin a AP12 or 24 (any preference?) sometime this year as im sick of reading about reef tanks and nano reefs and then having to go back to my freshwater (which - dnt get me wrong i love so very much - just cant get enough of my pictus cats, black ghost knifes etc etc :P).

Just a few questions though:

I thought you couldn't keep corals like frogspawn because of their habits to send out sweeping stinger tentacles during the night which can potentially kill the corals surrounding it.

and also - why run a skimmer? i thought that partial water changes every week - 10-20% changes will prevent the need for one - an i thought they had adverse affects on your corals (evidently not!)

Thanks very much - Would love so much to get into salties! :D

Just a few questions though:

I thought you couldn't keep corals like frogspawn because of their habits to send out sweeping stinger tentacles during the night which can potentially kill the corals surrounding it.

and also - why run a skimmer? i thought that partial water changes every week - 10-20% changes will prevent the need for one - an i thought they had adverse affects on your corals (evidently not!)

Thanks very much - Would love so much to get into salties! :D

frogspawn will send out its sweepers when it feels threatened by the presence of other corals nearby. it can reach around 6 inches. i just observe my corals around it to see if they are doing well. otherwise it isn't a big threat.

the skimmer is to remove organic matter and such. see my link in my signature for a further explanation. the main purpose for it though is due to me keeping more sps now, and they have much higher demands than LPS and softies.

go for the 24 gallon with a 150 sunpod, you will not regret it (that much) :D

if you have anymore questions feel free to ask anytime.

:welcome: to N-R, and its an honor for you to have ur first post on my thread B)

bubblethumper
Skimmer adverse on your corals? I would call it essential to a successful reef!

There used to be some debate that too many nutrients were stripped with skimming, but that has never been validated (to my knowledge). Regardless of the technical argument, the majority of the most successful reef tanks are using protein skimmers. You will find a small minority using alternate methods to remove nutrients from the water, but protein skimming is by far the most common and great performing methods available to the hobbyist.

And in my opinion, once a week water changes (which I do as well) are barely sufficient WITH protein skimming.

If you want to keep SPS or other types of corals that will engage in chemical warfare, a skimmer will unequivicolly make your corals happier

EZ: great lookin' goby! I've got one in my 10-gallon semi permanent "quarantine" tank. This thread is the main reason I keep coming back to n-r.com!

he'll be grumpy, but shud be okay.

hey bubble, thank you for visiting my tank thread every once in awhile, i know ur more active on RC, so it means a lot :) (do you have aim/msn/whatever? pm me)

update:

switched skimmer today, from the CSS 65 to a AquaC Remora. will wait to see the results. how long is the kick in period, cuz the foam is nowhere near the collection cup. (its been 2 hours)

StrategicReef
update:

switched skimmer today, from the CSS 65 to a AquaC Remora. will wait to see the results. how long is the kick in period, cuz the foam is nowhere near the collection cup. (its been 2 hours)

Hi Ez, what made you decided to change the skimmer? Is the CSS not working good for you?

It would be interesting to know how the two compare..

Css required too many adjustments, and overflowed a few times. it was a great skimmer, but the hassle of adjustments depending on water level was a PIA. If i had a sump, or greater water volume, i'm sure i would've stuck to the Css.

I heared the remora doesn't require adjustments, so I'm going to compare skimmers.

As of now, the foam hasn't reached near the top. i'm hoping its still due to the break-in period.

StrategicReef
Css required too many adjustments, and overflowed a few times. it was a great skimmer, but the hassle of adjustments depending on water level was a PIA. If i had a sump, or greater water volume, i'm sure i would've stuck to the Css.

I heared the remora doesn't require adjustments, so I'm going to compare skimmers.

As of now, the foam hasn't reached near the top. i'm hoping its still due to the break-in period.

One thing that I found while I was away for days, is that my CSS overflowed, the cup went full in 2 weeks, the cause was the piece of floss I put under the output blocked the flow, now I just let the output dump into my sump. So blocking the output is a bad idea. That has now made the CSS run absolutely rock solid, I havn't needed to adjust it anymore. I am thinking of placing a small cup of chaeto and have the output dump into it. :)

But remora I'm sure works great too, let us know how the remora is running.

Archived