Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

EZs Aquapod 24 with 150 MH

ezcompany

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks J!

Strategic = I have 4 anemone crabs, and they chill within inches of each other. weird huh? one was in my 6 gallon, but i think he got maimed by the fire shrimp. he's now in my 24 gallon with only a few legs. we'll see how he does.

Xerox = you think i should get the 6055? do i really need a controller for this tank?

and are there any other comments on the remora performace? is all the hype i've been hearing just a load of bs?

JW = lets trade remoras. how long did urs run for it to pull out stuff?

I havent owned one but Ive worked with a couple and they dont pull nearly as much skimmate as the CSS65 will...My CSS65 was pulling out some dark stuff within 24 hours of using it on the prop tank...

I have a remora on my 46 bow. I have not had any problems with it. It took about a week to start producing skimmate in volume and is easy to adjust. It produces about a half cup of medium dark product a day on the 46. It does best if you empty it and clean the reaction tube of protien every day. After a few months, it did quit producing well. I took the pump off of it and cleaned it which solved the problem. The tank contains a large bio-load and runs at near 0 nitrate levels (0 to 0.2 on my low range test kit). My phosphate test return 0 as well. I also have a small cheato fuge though is lit at night - based on the chaeto growth, I am sure that helps.

What did you do with the extra cup that has the sponge in it? I was told it you don't have that the Coal Life Skimmer will just put a ton of micro bubbles in the tank.

EZCompany, What did you do to make this not happen? ANyone else, what did you do? I was going to go with the remora because of the micro bubbles, but I have see the CLS 65 in action and it's just unreal. The amount of stuff that comes out of the tank using it is amazing.

I use the regular cup with the 2 foam pieces on my CSS65 and have it HOB on the prop tank. Not too many micro bubbles enter the tank at all so I left it

i just tossed it :)

i used to have a pureflo foam in the outtake area, but i don't even use it anymore. i don't have much problems with micro bubbles. my maxijet probably spits out more microbubbles :P

Nice thread.

Does the Sunpod fixture come with the ballast, or do you have to purchase that seperately? Any links to a good price for the Sunpod?

Will that fixture fit a ViaAqua 18g tank, 20x 13.25x 18.75

I havent owned one but Ive worked with a couple and they dont pull nearly as much skimmate as the CSS65 will...My CSS65 was pulling out some dark stuff within 24 hours of using it on the prop tank...

Agreed. The remora costs 2x more also and I keep hearing people locally that hate them since they just seem to stop working at times. Considering what my CSS65 pulls out, I am pretty happy with it. Mine is insump and the bubbles get stopped by my bubbletrap. See if you can trade the remora for something, people still want them out there.

EZco: Well as for the Tunze, I say wait a bit till the reviews are out. Desipte Tunze's great track record, I want to see if these are worth the cost. I wanted to get the controlled model just so I could have it oppose my SEIO 820 and set it to 20% and 80% pulses with a singlecontroller. Hopefully that would create the kind of turbulence that my SPS like.

Xerox, where are u located? we need to trade some sps frags!

how much do single controllers go for? and does it only control 1 unit? (sorry if this is a stupid question)

Don't mean to bring up bad memories, but I just finished reading the thread.

My helfrichi hides in the tunnels that were dug by my twin spot goby pair. I have never seen ANY other firefish do this ever.

Thanks for the link.

Some more questions:

-how much would you say the light raises the water temp by? 2-3 degrees or so?

-i just heard from a local reefer today that he had one & his fan died within weeks. Is this replaceable? Can you put a better one in there?

-from what the reefer tells me, it's more light than you will need. Enough for sps & clams....is this true?

-how are the legs on this fixture (it does come with the legs, right? You dont have to buy them seperately?). Any chance of fixture falling in tank?

-what 150W MH options do we have out there for this type ballast? Ones with a bit more blue, 12K-15K range.

TIA

I have the same fixture as EZ, only the 24" version. The legs are sturdy and will slide in or out to the full length of the fixture. You can pull them in together to the point of touching. The fan is easily accessable and if it were to go out, would most likely be easy to replace. I took many pictures of mine before mounting it, so if you need detailed images, let me know.

thanks for helping him out halfpint.

to answer your other questions:

i would say the 150 hqi raises temperatures by a good 4-6 degrees. you'll need a dedicated fan for those hot weathers.

150 hqi is enough light for clams and all sps to survive. the only sps that will require higher light to actually do well are some acroporas, where a minimum of 400 watts is recommended.

the stock light is 14k and is blue enough, at least for me. you have the option of replacing it with a phoenix, which is probably the best 150s out there right now :)

Thanks for all the info!

WOW 4-6 deg!!!!! That's a lot!

Is it really manageable, especially with a fan? Do you have automated auto top off for all the evap? Do you guys run a chiller?

I have a set of 48" Aquatinics 2x 250W MH fixtures & 2x 54W T5's. They are enclosed in a fixture with plexiglass at the bottom & 2x 4" icecap fans on either end. One pulling air in & another pulling air out. I only get 1-2 degrees, maybe even 3deg temp difference.

On the same day between lights on & off I normally get 1-2 deg difference.

"Is it really manageable, especially with a fan? Do you have automated auto top off for all the evap? Do you guys run a chiller? "

Its manageable with a fan, and i don't have an automated top off yet. no chiller. tank runs hot at 84, but averages 80.5

SOON TO COME (all thanks to Tony from exotic reefs)

original superman monti

idaho grapes

pokerstar monti

cali tort

blue millie

valida

Xerox, where are u located? we need to trade some sps frags!

how much do single controllers go for? and does it only control 1 unit? (sorry if this is a stupid question)

The single controller can control 1 Tunze, however if you get the Y adapter, it can handle two pumps. But, the benefit of having 2 controllers or the multicontroller and multiple pumps is that you can control each pump individually.

I'm up in the bay area so not much of a chance to trade frags unless you are in the area haha. I just got a bunch of idaho grape also, that stuff grows like a weed. Next time you are lookin for frags, go check out reefready.net. That is where I get all my corals from now and they are very generous.

bubblethumper

I run an Iceprobe (just sitting on top of the right compartment) and it keeps my temps at or below 80.5

I like the iceprobe because there is no plumbing, no drilling, etc

thanks for helping him out halfpint.

to answer your other questions:

i would say the 150 hqi raises temperatures by a good 4-6 degrees. you'll need a dedicated fan for those hot weathers.

150 hqi is enough light for clams and all sps to survive. the only sps that will require higher light to actually do well are some acroporas, where a minimum of 400 watts is recommended.

the stock light is 14k and is blue enough, at least for me. you have the option of replacing it with a phoenix, which is probably the best 150s out there right now :)

Ive never seen a coral with a minimum of 400 watt halide before...lol Im keeping pink pocillapora right now under my 250 and its actually staying pink...

BTW: You might want to look for SPS frags local before you order them offline they will be a lot cheaper from locals and you wont run the risk of red bugs, AEFW, or rtn/stn from shipping....just some advice...

Archived