Top Shelf Aquatics

Bobalouy's new 20L

Bobalouy

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very nice!!

Hows the wrasse doing? Have you anything over the top to keep it from floor surfing?

The Solarensis wrasse didn't make it, he seemed way too stressed out from the moment I put him in. The new sixline has been doing great. I do not have a cover right now, I am still trying to find a nice clear mesh.

Hey Anthony :) The tank is looking fabulous! How is fatherhood treating you? I bet you're pretty busy! When you get a chance can you respond to the PM I sent you?

I have just finished reading this entire thread.

Firstly I'd like to say, the colour you've chosen for the background is absolutely beautiful, and the light makes it even more so.

There is something about a 20L that is aesthetically pleasing. I personally prefer long tanks to high tanks, probably because of the amount of surface area on the sea floor. Congratulations on creating something wonderful, and I look forward to seeing some updates.

Ps. you should consider a sailfin blenny. Although they aren't the prettiest fish in the world, they have a tremendous personality and they are also super cute. My oscellaris have actually become more social ever since he was introduced, and every morning he sits behind a piece of live rock, with only his head sticking out, waiting for me to show up. He's like a little puppy.

A few new pics, coming up on 6 months

DSC_0490.jpg

DSC_0494.jpg

DSC_0500.jpg

DSC_0492.jpg

DSC_0499.jpg

Thanks Pacifique, I do love blennys and so does my wife. I really like the orange spotted and starry blennys.

musthaveitall

I just Got finished reading the whole thread, and WOW that tank is Fantastic!!!! Makes me want one like it!!! I see the NC sitting over there being neglected, remember how beautiful it was??? What happened to the clowns?? I thought you would move them up to the 20L, I did like the GSP wall in the NC (but the blue is much better)... Are the GSP still in there? And I am still curious, what lighting/filteration did you have on that little 1g pico? I really want to build one...

-Clint

I agree, this is a great tank, and now I've some great idea's for my 20L.

I have a couple of questions,

I noticed you still havent added anything to the returns, so I assume its working out ok from a flow persperctive? still digging a little in the corners?

Have you considered a swcd in the return line, seems that would really benefit the corals?

Anything you would do different in regards to the plumbing? Since I'm starting from scratch, I like your overflow idea, would you do it differently with another tank?

thx,

Turk

I agree, this is a great tank, and now I've some great idea's for my 20L.

I have a couple of questions,

I noticed you still havent added anything to the returns, so I assume its working out ok from a flow persperctive? still digging a little in the corners?

Have you considered a swcd in the return line, seems that would really benefit the corals?

Anything you would do different in regards to the plumbing? Since I'm starting from scratch, I like your overflow idea, would you do it differently with another tank?

thx,

Turk

The returns are ok for the livestock I have right now, but I defiantly need to get some Nozzles, these isn't enough flow in the center of the tank. I'm not a real big fan of scwds.

Things I would do differently: bigger pump, and 3/4" returns. And now that nanopaul is here, I would have built the tank from scratch in starphire and frameless.

• 5 months later...

The tank is still going but not looking to great, I've been slacking and I can't get rid of the cyano. Im ordering a new Bulb for my MH, and getting some koralia's so hopefully I can get this thing looking good again.

It takes more than light and poor water flow to cause cyano outbreaks. How does your PO4 look?

Yes I know but I have tried every thing else I can think of. Both my tank and the water from my RODI read 0 on a salifert PO4 test. I got my MH used so I'm guessing the bulb is a little older than I was told.

• 2 months later...

Beautiful tank and great job. I'm thinking of setting one up but have no clue about plumbing. Would a 5.5 be good as a sump/fuge? I have an aquapod and didn't have to think of plumbing.

Thanks,

Ultimately your sump can be any size you want. And as always the bigger the better. There are a few things to consider. First figure out what you are going to put in it (return pump, skimmer, macro algae) 5.5 isn't going to leave much room. You also have to leave room for the extra water that will drain if there is a power outage. My tank probably drains 2-3 gallons if there is an outage. So that would mean you can only keep 2.5 gallons in your 5.5 sump. There are ways to reduce that but, make sure you keep that in mind. My sump hose 25gallons, but I probably only have about 10 gallons in it. I think the best sump for a 20L is a 29g, they have the same footprint as the 20L. You could also do a 20G, 20H, 15G. I guess it really depends on how big your stand is.

TANK UPDATE - Had a power outage on saturday night, made the decision to catch my fish, and pull out my coral, threw them in a bucket and took them to my moms house. The power didnt come back on till 10 the next morning. So I am glad I did it. The water temp was about 64 degrees, luckely it looks like most of my pest algae died.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally some updated pics!

I had a major cyano problem for the last nine months or so. I tried just about everything I could think of and got pretty burnt out. Then I remembered I haven't tried cheato in a while, so I got a nice chunk from a local reefer. And the Cyano was gone within a week. I lost a lot of good zoos, and my LPS just about died. But everything is starting to bounce back.

1yr.jpg

1yr_2.jpg

1yr_3.jpg

Thanks man, its getting there.

I think it took me about a year to find that light used and I could actually afford it, lol.

• 11 months later...

Archived