SaltCritters.com

Bobalouy's new 20L

Bobalouy

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I finished up the plumbing and did some Freshwater testing tonight.

Painted the PVC black, just for the heck of it.

plumbing3.jpg

plumbing4.jpg

Water Test, Man this whole durson thing makes me so nervous.

fwtest.jpg

fwtest_2.jpg

Terrible, I just got done playing with it for a few hours and I can not get it quiet. I am ready to throw this thing out the door.

I saw you cracked yours and were thinking about drilling one, I wouldnt go this route. Well at least untill I figure something out.

Yeah there is a ball valve, I have tweeked every aspect of the drain and can not find a happy medium. I wanted to keep the back wall as clean as possible but I think it's time to add an overflow.

Terrible, I just got done playing with it for a few hours and I can not get it quiet. I am ready to throw this thing out the door.

I saw you cracked yours and were thinking about drilling one, I wouldnt go this route. Well at least untill I figure something out.

Drill a hole in the top of the durso cap and thread in a 10" piece of airline tubing. make sure the airline tubing fits snugly. This can help alleviate some of the noise. A ball valve can also help slow the water down a tad. I had the same setup and after some tweaking (twisting ball valve and moving airline up and down) I got mine dead silent.

Yeah see Im not getting any noise from the actual drain, its the air in the piping going down. So its silent if there is no hole in tha cap, but when I open the hole it gets loud even with an air hose.

Now with that being said, My ball valve is not right after the T, is about a foot under the tank. Im also thinking that a soft hose would help absorb some sound also..

Yeah Fosi, thats the one!

Flexible PVC can help with the vibrational noise. The only other thing I can think of is to slow the flow down so its not rushing through the pipe so fast.

Yeah I have done that, but when it finally gets quiet it eventually overflows. I think if the valve was closer to the drain I wouldnt have to close it as much and It might work.

Yeah I have done that, but when it finally gets quiet it eventually overflows. I think if the valve was closer to the drain I wouldnt have to close it as much and It might work.

Exactly. You can see above that mine was right up at the drain. I needed to close it only a very little to fill the tubing and alleviate noise.

BTW bobalouy...your nanocube is the inspiration for my next tank!

Lol, Thanks man, hopefully this 20L will be even better. If I can ever get it running.

I have come to the conclusion that, while a 1" Drain can handle over 470gph. It can not do it quietly at only 1" depth. So off to the LFS to get another bulkhead.

I decided to give the 'Herbie Method' a try, I am going to drill another drain below the current one. And add an overflow. Today I worked on the overflow.

Heatgun + Old TV stand = Getto Plastic Bender

overflow_4.jpg

overflow_2.jpg

overflow.jpg

overflow_3.jpg

I have an idea for color matching this thing, Im going to give that a try tomarrow.

Obsessed Reefer

Very cool, are you gonna cut the top off?

I mean like leave the top off, so that....uhhhh..... I dont know what I'm getting at, but very nice looking

great looking nanocube and good looking 20L so far. Its funny because I was reading your thread earlier today and all day I couldn't wait to get back onto the computer to ask how the hole you drilled for the overflow worked, Because I am in the process of drilling my 20H. When I logged back on tonight I see that you had some issues with that overflow. I will be tuned in to see how you resolve the issue, I just might be doing the exact same thing after you do.

Alright finally got to test the overflow tonight. And I am happy to say my Plumbing is silent. Now the overflow made some noise, but I should be able to eliminate that when set it up properly.

Anyway of course I took a few pics.

Taped the overflow in place. For now.

overflow_test.jpg

overflow_test_2.jpg

overflow_test_3.jpg

Now to finish it off I am going to paint the inside of the overflow to match the back wall. And then put a second layer of plexi on the inside to seal the paint in. Looks like I might actually be able to get my rock this weekend.

Well in the pics the top drain is blocked off, cause I had to use some of the pipes to test the new one. But I am going to keep the top one functional. I figure I will be able to restrict the bottom one enough for the water to rise to to the top drain. And that will keep everthing quiet. It should also prevent any over flows.

Well I finally painted the back of the overflow, and then sealed it in with Plexi and lots of silicone.

overflow_5.jpg

And also Big thanks to the Nanoreef member formally known as Nhutty, He met me halft way between Philly and Baltimore. To sell me his sump for a ridiculously cheap price!

I had to move the shelf up, but it fits perfectly!!

sump.jpg

I just finished glueing the Overflow into the tank. Then tonight I should be able to finalize the plumbing and be ready to go this week.

Archived