inTank Media Baskets

Fish's new cube diary

ninjafish

258 members have voted

1. 1. What should I put on the bottom of the tank?

• Thin layer of aragonite
    • Bare bottom

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Semi x you need to read up a lot.

Lol :lol:

Hey fish, i found your lamp..

Actually that is not the same lamp as mine but it will still work fine. The key is to find a double ended halogen lamp because it will be built out of the proper materials to withstand the heat of a halide and the length of a 150w halogen is the same as a 70w halide. I just took the guts out of the lamp and bolted the halide reflector inside...

- Chad

Hello everyone,

Lately I have noticed my sandbed to be a kind of grungy with little clumps of hair algae growing on it. I do very frequent water changes and have the chaeto in the filter so I don't know where this unwated algae growth is suddenly coming from. I think that it is from junk trapped in the sandbed. Tomorrow I am going to siphon out the whole sandbed when I do my water change. I the plan is to put a thin layer of new aragonite back in, or leave it BB... depending on how it looks to me at the time ;)

- Chad

I'd lay down some white starboard,drill holes for the returns.I'd say Ike puts a decent bioload on this tank.Do you get a lot of detritus in the canister when you open it every week?Your tank might have a harder time naturaly filtering without the sandbed.All of the BB gurus say if you go BB you should have a massive skimmer.

I'd lay down some white starboard,drill holes for the returns.I'd say Ike puts a decent bioload on this tank.Do you get a lot of detritus in the canister when you open it every week?Your tank might have a harder time naturaly filtering without the sandbed.All of the BB gurus say if you go BB you should have a massive skimmer.

Hey Deac,

There is a fair amount of mantis poop produced in this tank. My sandbed is made up of less than 1 cup of sand and I do not believe that it contributes to the filtration at all - I think all its doing is trapping detritus. Often BB users will use large skimmers in conjuction with lots of watter current, the idea being to keep the detritus suspended in the water column so that the skimmer can pull it out. I am looking more at being able to siphon the detritus off of the bottom when I do my water changes... I don't know. Maybe I'll just try replacing the sand with new stuff first.

- Chad

the only poo i see in my smithii's tanks is from the hermits...

i also noticed he lets some of the hermits live and kills others. he even uses the shells to cover his burrow at night even if a hermits is living in it.

the only poo i see in my smithii's tanks is from the hermits...

i also noticed he lets some of the hermits live and kills others. he even uses the shells to cover his burrow at night even if a hermits is living in it.

Ram Man,

Ya, I actually asked Dr. Ron about why I haven't seen mantis poo in my tank - even though I have fed a ton of krill and $100 worth of hermits and snails. He told me that mantis excrement is very fine, almost like dust, and is dispersed very quickly through the water. After I knew what to look for, I noticed this waste whenever I do a water change.

I ended up just rreplacing the sandbed with new sand. The old stuff was really dirty and now the tank looks awesome! I will take a couple pictures today.

- Chad

what kind of camera are u useing? i try to take pis of my mantis and he looks like a green blob...

Ram Man,

I'm just using an older model Fuji Finepix 3800 digital. For every good picture I take, I delete about 10 of them :P

Semi X,

You asked for it:

060225036.jpg

060225030.jpg

060225022.jpg

060225023.jpg

Hope you enjoy,

- Chad

deacon hemp

Amazing as usual! Have you noticed any color loss from the sps frags?

It looks japanese almost with a really zen look to it. My goal.

Deacon,

Thanks! Actually now that you mention it - I think that the blue acro frag has faded more to brown :angry: . I don't know if it will color up again or not but I did take it out of a tank with 400w halides. This 70w is a lot of light for a small tank... but it's nothing compared to that!

- Chad

Ike came out and looked around when I was taking pictures but then he just went back in his cave. He acted like it was all a big inconvenience for him.

The candycane in the middle started out as a single polyp but has now split into three!

- Chad

Beautiful pics & tank. Love the aquascaping. I think it's hard to do a cube (not to mention a 4-side-viewable cube) well & yours is an inspiration.

Carinya,

Thank you. It was nice to hear from you again - especially since you now have a link to that cool 6gal you are building. I will have to check that out!

- Chad

Leonardo <Nano-Reef>

Hey Fish,

first my comliment for your beautiful tank! Truly inspiring (kept me awake a couple of nights :huh: ) I want to setup an mantis tank in your style too but than a 33 Gallon tank (20x20x20)

I have a couple of questions. Do you use any suplements like calcium or trace elements cause your corals are growing so well in this relatively small volume of water.

And do you use live sand aragonite or just plain aragonite?

My mantis will arrive saturday, can't wait! B)

- Leonardo (sorry for the crappy language-I'm Dutch)

Archived