inTank Media Baskets

Fish's new cube diary

ninjafish

258 members have voted

1. 1. What should I put on the bottom of the tank?

• Thin layer of aragonite
    • Bare bottom

Thanks everyone for your interest in the thread! I haven't posted any new updates or photos lately because I had a difference of opinion with my internet service provider :lol: and cancelled my subscription. As soon as I get shaw hooked up, I will have a bunch of new stuff for you.

As far as a cleanup crew goes, I have found that any snail or hermit with a thick shell is pretty safe. Because Ike is such a small smasher, he is only able to break into thinner shells. The armor on my red-leg hermit and turbo snail offer enough ballistic protection from the mantis.

Cheers,

- Chad

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul and Drowning - Thanks guys! Here are some updated photos that I promised:

05121523.JPG

I moved the tank over to the spot previously enjoyed by my 2gal. Because of the larger bulkheads I couldn't set it flat on the desk and instead raised it up by setting it on a "base" of five hockey pucks. What do youo guys think? Am I pushing it with having 7.5gals sitting on posts and not having the weight evenly distributed over the whole bottom? The bottom pane of glass is 1/2" thick so I thought it would be up to the task...

Coral shot

05121528.JPG

Mantis shot

05121512.JPG

And, this is what it looks like when I come it to work

05121530.JPG

What do you think?

- Chad

thanks 4 the pics...since some of us r, well u know dependant on them to know what goin on :);) anyway the tank looks GREAT....very nice....what bulb are you using??? and is it 70w MH or 150w???? thanks in advance

-josh

thanks 4 the pics...since some of us r, well u know dependant on them to know what goin on :);) anyway the tank looks GREAT....very nice....what bulb are you using??? and is it 70w MH or 150w???? thanks in advance

-josh

Thanks Josh. The halide is a 70w de and the bulb is a 20k reefgrow. I am really pleased with the color and the shimmer in this deeper tank is awesome.

- Chad

man that tank looks sleek!

Thanks bro B)

- Chad

Wow I wish I had a tank like that in my office. Well Actually I wish I had a tank like that at home too lol. Looks great. Wow that mantis is intimidating.

twubjnfafnmwrjneiunjfejn iebfjnfnmejgn nflefk

Sorry, I had to wip[e the drool off of my keyboard. Damn fine job, man, damn fine.

Schraadrak,

Thanks man B) I'm glad you like it! By the way, your wierd avatar now looks wierd and festive :P

Cheers,

- Chad

Wow I wish I had a tank like that in my office. Well Actually I wish I had a tank like that at home too lol. Looks great. Wow that mantis is intimidating.

Accord,

Thanks for the compliment. It doesn't take much to set up a tank like this... just money... :P. I have really enjoyed having the mantis. It really is a privaledge to have such a strange and interesting animal to look at all day.

Cheers

It realy is a joy to have a mantis as a pet. My G. smithii just took down an emerald crab about a week ago. i alway check on my mantis every half hour. has yours been moveing corals around? mine wont leave my zoanthid frag alone.

ram man,

emeral crab... that is a great idea, i will have to try one of those.

Ike has really been well behaved with his corals. Since I moved a zoanthid rock infront of his cave entrance, he has left everything else alone. Yesterday I got him sticking straight out the top of my frogspawn, i wish I would have had a camera handy because it was a really cool shot - looked like he was hosting in it.

- Chad

i got my smithii from a lfs, not all stores are mantis friendly... sadly some just flush them, or trow them into a trigger tank:( if you want one and your lfs doesnt carry the one you want, there are online dealers.

I highly recomend a Gonodactylus smithii to any one that wants a mantis.

ram man,

emeral crab... that is a great idea, i will have to try one of those.

Ike has really been well behaved with his corals. Since I moved a zoanthid rock infront of his cave entrance, he has left everything else alone. Yesterday I got him sticking straight out the top of my frogspawn, i wish I would have had a camera handy because it was a really cool shot - looked like he was hosting in it.

- Chad

hey chad, amazing tank! I'm going to be setting up a 5.6 gallon at work too!

Also: don't get an emerald crab! they have a high risk of eating corals, especially zoanthid and polyp like corals. Mine just grazed over ALL of my green star polyps today. I'm getting rid of it for sure =(

keep us updated!

danskim,

My g. smithii did come from a LFS but as a hitchiker in a LR shipment. The LFSs where I live are not able to order in mantis by species and the only ones they ever get in are peacocks. Ramman is right, a lot of places will just flush them. The best thing is to get the word out there so that people know that you are looking for one...

Koden,

Ya I've heard that about emeralds too. I would just make sure that Ike is good and hungry before I put it in - that way it probably woudn't be alive long enough to cause any damage. I have taken nuisance xanthid crabs from other reefers before and Ike loved them. Ethically, I don't see a difference between a crab getting eaten or a spider but I still would rather feed nuisance inverts than beneficial ones (of course it's all from a hobbiests point of view)

- Chad

danskim,

My g. smithii did come from a LFS but as a hitchiker in a LR shipment. The LFSs where I live are not able to order in mantis by species and the only ones they ever get in are peacocks. Ramman is right, a lot of places will just flush them. The best thing is to get the word out there so that people know that you are looking for one...

Koden,

Ya I've heard that about emeralds too. I would just make sure that Ike is good and hungry before I put it in - that way it probably woudn't be alive long enough to cause any damage. I have taken nuisance xanthid crabs from other reefers before and Ike loved them. Ethically, I don't see a difference between a crab getting eaten or a spider but I still would rather feed nuisance inverts than beneficial ones (of course it's all from a hobbiests point of view)

- Chad

maybe I can ship you my emerald to feed your mantis =)

I've been paying postage on any and all unwanted crabs...

If someone is getting rid of their crab anyways, it makes for great variety in Ike's diet.

- Chad

just finished that video...very cool...love the Hermits and the ending...very cool....i have a question..im going to upgrade my pico (the one in the contests...click on sig. to see it)....do you like those dimension??? i was also thinking of doing a 10g. cube but 12" cube sounds nice...do you not like it or is it perfect??

Thanks dude. I just checked out your tank... very nice.

As far as dimensions go, it really depends on what you plan on keeping. I think my 8" cube was neater looking just because it was so small. The only reason I went to a 12" cube is because I wanted to provide the best home for Ike. As long as you don't require the extra room, I would say that a 10" cube would be perfect - still not a big tank, but enough room for corals to grow...

- Chad

your likes playing secret agaent too i see... do roles around the tank and being very stealthy, i also notice smithii wont attack unles you are realy freaking them out. at first i thought the music sounded like the matrix and there were going to be slow motion bashings on hermit shells.

Archived