Pod Your Reef

Fish's new cube diary

ninjafish

258 members have voted

1. 1. What should I put on the bottom of the tank?

• Thin layer of aragonite
    • Bare bottom

Awsome Video!!!! Music is perfect!

Thanks! I wasn't sure if the music was going to work or not but I kinda cut up the scenes a bit so it seemed faster paced.

b'crusher,

Haha sweet. I noticed that most mantis keepers swore by them and it is true, they make for a great pet!

ram man,

I really tried to get some footage of some snail attacks but Ike was just not cooperating whenever I had the camera out. For my next project I plan on getting footage of him and an emerald crab....

- Chad

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For my next project I plan on getting footage of him and an emerald crab....

- Chad

Cant wait to see that one! Fight, Fight, Fight, Fight, Fight ...

• 2 weeks later...

I shared this story on Reef Central and wanted to see what everyone here thought...

Ike hadn't been fed for a few days and was getting hungry so yesterday I picked up 5 small hermit crabs and dropped them into the tank. Ike grabbed one right away and pulled it into his cave but after only a couple hits, he was already back out grabbing the next one. Before I knew it, all but one (one got away) were gone. I looked inside his cave and saw that all four hermit crabs were placed side by side upside down so that their openings were facing up instead of down. Ike was hanging motionless from the ceiling and staring right inside the shell openings. It looked like he was just waiting for one of the hermit crabs to come out and try and right itself. I watched this for about a minute and Ike was perfectly still the whole time. I couldn't stick around because I had to get home but I am looking forward to what I find when I get back on Monday.

At first I thought that Ike was too lazy to do any smashing and was just going to wait them out. After I posted in the mantis forum on Reef Central, another g. smithii keeper told me that he just observed the same thing when he put 10 blue legs in his tank. That got me thinking about a possible explaination for this behavior. 10 blue legs is a lot to feed, and 5 is the most that I have ever put in the tank at one time...

Perhaps this is a "food storage" mechanism that the mantis has developed. When I feed him a couple crabs, he busts them open and eats them. Maybe when you feed them more crabs than they can eat at once, they imobilize them on their backs to keep them until it is time to eat again. Maybe in the ocean, if they let a meal get away just because they weren't hungry at the time, they wouldn't be able to guarantee when the next meal would come along...

What do you think? Does that sound possible?

- Chad

I'm no mantis expert, but I wouldn't doubt that Ike was 'storing' his food. It's pretty cool, I think these animals are smarter than most people think.

I'm anxious to hear what you find on Monday. :D

hey fish - just had a couple of quick questions for you...

-what "exactly" do you use to clean your starphire glass?

-and i checked out an old thread of yours, your 20 gallon starphire to be exact. was that tank built by inter-american as well? if so, do you remember what the cost was? and was it polished and ground or neither? would you happen to have an old picture of the tank?

(as you can probably tell, i've always admired your tanks)

thanks in advance for the replies

Jon,

I use an algae magnet to clean the glass. Not a mag float (don't like 'em) but I will get you the exact model tomorrow when I get back to work. I just use paper towel and ro/di water to clean the outside.

As for my old 20gal (miss that tank), it was also built by inter-american at a cost of $200 if I remember correctly. It was neither ground nor polished and still looked great. If I was to do it over, I might pay for polishing on the top edge but it isn't worth it to polish the edges that are siliconed IMO.

I managed to find a couple old photos on another website:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/46130main1.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/46130main2.jpg

I hope this answers you questions. It was good to hear from you.

- Chad

I have a question. Do you develop an oily surface? Since nothing is agetating the surface very much, im just wondering. If you do, do you skim it soem how?

he has plenty of agitation...about 40x turnover with his eheim if i'm not mistaken.

FLIP,

Jon's right! If you want to see surface agitation, click on the video links :P

Jon my glass on the 20gal was 1/2". A little thicker than I need but I have kids and wanted to be sure that hey couldn't break it :o

- Chad

Jon,

I initially modified a 20h by removing the top trim, cutting an overflow slot along the back, and building an external overflow box. Without the trim the glass bowed out a bit and I was so worried about it cracking that I couldn't sleep at night :P so I had my next one built properly.

I don't think you will ever regret getting thicker glass but as long as you have trim on the top it shouldn't be as much of a concern. Also, I have gone over some old info that I had and realized that my glass was infact 3/8" and not 1/2" thick. 3/8" is all the strength you will need - and it will end up being one of the heaviest 20gals you've ever seen :P .

Here is a link to the exact algae magnet that I use:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=AS4415

I love it because it is very strong but the interior half of the magnet is only 3/8" thick so you can still slide it past rockwork that is very close to your glass.

Cheers,

- Chad

I ended up putting down a thin layer of aragonite.

Last night I added a couple pieces of acro, a gorgonian, and some blastos.

Now my livestock list is:

mantis shrimp

zoanthids (six of my best colors)

button polyp

colt

pulsing xenia

toadstool

candycane

frogspawn

green monti digitata

purple monti digitata

orange monti caps

pink bird's nest

riccordia (green and orange)

mushrooms (1 green, 1 blue, 1 red and 1 fuzzy)

green star polyp

purple acropora

green acropora

purple gorgonian

green blastos

small snail (as of last night.... might not be there anymore...)

- Chad

you may have said this already, but how thick is the 12" cube? thanks.

The sides are 5/16" and the bottom is 1/2" because of the bulkheads drilled so close together...

- Chad

Oh ... Full Tank Shot!

Hahaaha when Casabubu first posted I didn't realize what an FTS was :P

I'm not too quick sometimes. Give me a day to snap another picture... FTS coming at ya.

- Chad

Yup all four were eaten and it looked like they all had damage to their shells. The fifth one, that got away, was still hiding up on top of the birdsnest coral so I dropped it back down to the sand and Ike grabbed it. He broke a hole in the top of the shell (instead of the bottom like normal) and pulled the hermit crab out backwards... musta still been hungry...

- Chad

Fish, what is the species of mushroom you have in that tank that's green with frills around the edges? I have those, and if I try to spot feed them, they close up like a ball...it's very strange.

mickey,

To tell you the truth I have no idea what species it is. I have seen in closed up in a ball before too. I've never tried to spot feed it though...

- Chad

Archived