SaltCritters.com

Fish's new cube diary

ninjafish

258 members have voted

1. 1. What should I put on the bottom of the tank?

• Thin layer of aragonite
    • Bare bottom

Hi chad, I have a question about your bulk head strainer. Can you tell me what you made it out of, and what you are using to keep it from falling down farther into the bulkhead. I have some craft plastic with the little square's that are used for making dice. And I hot glued it to the back of a tank to cut down on water flow. But I know that won't work for a strainer because the square's are to small. Thanx in advance

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chad,

what's the thickness of glass on your 12" cube?

thanks,

jon

Jon,

The thickness of my glass is 5mm. Sorry I dont have a measureing tape so I'm not sure what that is in inches.

Hi chad, I have a question about your bulk head strainer. Can you tell me what you made it out of, and what you are using to keep it from falling down farther into the bulkhead. I have some craft plastic with the little square's that are used for making dice. And I hot glued it to the back of a tank to cut down on water flow. But I know that won't work for a strainer because the square's are to small. Thanx in advance

I think you are probably talking about the return bulkhead right? I used the plastic screen that is sometimes on the outside of furnace filters. I cut it to fit the top of the bulhead and then used super glue to stick it. I should also tell you that I have pulled the screen off since then. Beacause I have chaeto in the cannister filter, once in a while a piece gets blown out and catches on the screen and becomes unsightly. For everything else, the screen size is nice and big and works great. Cheers,

Chad

Thank's a lot chad that is the exact info. on your return bulkhead that I needed. I wish your video link's were working for me still. I really liked watching your 2 gal. video. When I click on the video link's now, all that comes up is page not found. Anyway thank's again for your help.

Finally I have some updated photos!

Front

060126047.jpg

Back

060126065.jpg

Assorted flavor

060126053.jpg

060126057.jpg

060126066.jpg

I hope you enjoy.

- Chad

there is one... unless you got rid of it fish??? did u.. srry i dont read these kinda threads.. i jus look at the pics

LOL me too....if you have a mantis, take pics and post em!!! i want to see!!

Fishfreak,

Ya, the chromis probably wont last too long in there. My last fish, a yellow-tailled blue damsel got eaten after a couple weeks. I think that they just become complascent and drop their guard after a while...

- Chad

AWESOME MANTIS...how much did it cost??

Fortunately for me a friend of mine spotted it in a shipment of LR and grabbed it for me. I gave him some sexy shrimp in trade. I could only find one place that said they could deliver a non-peacock smasher, and they said it was going to be over $150US :angry: . I'm lucky to have gotten this one.

- Chad

that frog spawn grew alot! if you every decide to frag those zoas ill buy them! and how is ike doing?

Ram man,

I will keep you in mind. Unfortunately, these zoas grow freaking slow! And as for Ike here are a couple shots:

Up to his old tricks - stalking an unfortunate hermit crab

mantis2.jpg

Poseing for the camera

mantis.jpg

- Chad

that fish will last a week! i just asked Dr. Roy what the strike force on smithiis were, he said less than Chiagras and platysomas, but apparently they can spear and smash.

chad,

if you do ever decide to sell that lamp...let me know, i guess i'll be second in line. :P

also, i vaguely saw it in your video but if it's not too much trouble, could you post a couple of pictures of how you've connected the controller and auto top off to your filter return line....and what is the series (number) of your advantage control pump?

thanks again,

jon

Jon,

This link should take you to a photo.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/46130newato.jpg

Baisically the pumps injection end was a 3/4" threaded fitting that I was able to thread right in to a pvc tee with hosebarbs on either end. I just cut my return line, slipped each end over the hosebarbs, and clamped it.

I will have to get back to you on the model number of my metering pump but a general rule of thumb is that any model that allows you to switch from "strokes per minute" to "strokes per hour" will work for this job. These models usually come with LCD screens, and have lower GPH values and higher pressure ratings than the other pumps in the lineup.

HTH

- Chad

Jon,

I think that that sounds right. I picked up the pump second-hand but unused from an engineering company on Ebay for $300US. They cost $1000 - $1400US new.

You can probably use any topoff pump as long as as you are letting it drip or run into an open system. Even if you can't adjust the dosing rate on the pump, invest in a good quality timer and use the timer to fine tune how long the pump doses.

If however, your dosing is going to be done into a closed system and injected into a return line like I have done, I wouldn't use anything less than a laboratory-grade metering pump. The dosing pumps made for the aquarium hobby are not very high quality and even if they were made for pressure applications (which I doubt), I would still worry about them failing. If my pump failed and allowed water to flow backwards through it, it would drain my entire tank dry. This pump is in a totally different category and is built for pumping into pressureized systems up to 110 pounds of pressure per square inch!!! In many circumstances these pumps are dosing dangerous chemicals and even keeping drinking water drinkable, so they can not afford to fail. No piece of equipment can be trusted totally but this pump is the strongest part of my setup. As far as catastrophies go, I think it would be more likely that the glass in my tank fell apart than this pump allow water to back-flow. JMO

- Chad

i've got another question for you. when and if there is a need to get into your eheim, how do you prevent water from getting everywhere? do you have a shut off valve or quick disconnect? or do you just bring your intake/outake hose above the water level in the tank? thanks...

-jon

Both Eheims that I have owned had shutoff valves right at the end of the hoses - and it is the valve that plugs into the cannister filter. About once a month I will turn off the cannister filter, close the valves and disconnect the top, and then open it up and prune the cheato and syphon out the bottom of the filter.

awesome tank! i love how everythings on the bottom

Thanks! I am glad that you had a chance to check it out. I looked through some of your signatures and you have some serious skills B)

Cheers,

- Chad

Due to the classified nature of my setup, I don't have any photos of what is under the desk. :P

Until you get the proper clearance (and I take some new photos), check out my video links - they have some footage of all the equipment.

Cheers,

- Chad

Due to the classified nature of my setup, I don't have any photos of what is under the desk. :P

Until you get the proper clearance (and I take some new photos), check out my video links - they have some footage of all the equipment.

Cheers,

- Chad

lol i saw your 2gal pico video and it shows like a 2 second footage of under your table :angry:

Hey fish.. you want to buy me a 12" cube just like yours? and ship it to me? ill pay for it and give you extra. No need to polish the edges though lol

and i am still very curious to see under that table and take a peek =P

and i still dont get your sump/filter thing..

Your tank is insane man. Beautiful. I love how clean your glass is. Thums up, way up.

Thanks Cesar! Your tank is pretty sweet too - amazing livestock!

Chad

Hey fish.. you want to buy me a 12" cube just like yours? and ship it to me? ill pay for it and give you extra. No need to polish the edges though lol

and i am still very curious to see under that table and take a peek =P

and i still dont get your sump/filter thing..

Haha are you serious dude? I'd expect that there is a shop a little closer to you that could do the job... isn't there?

If you really need, I will look into it and find out how much it will cost. There is another option... I have been toying with the idea of selling this tank so that I can start a new project. Either way, I'll let you know...

And click on the link for the 7.5gal tank... the shot of the equipment in that one is a little longer :P . As for my filter, it is just a cannister plumbed to the bottom of the tank (you can plumb a cannister to the bottom because it is a closed system - unlike a sump tank that can overflow or drain out). I then drilled the cannister filter and added submersible pond lights so that I could grow chaeto inside it. When I upgraded to this larger tank, I drilled the cannister filter again and added a 50w hydor heater. Finally, I added a pressure rated topoff pump and tied it into the filter return line. The result is that I am able to have all my filtration, water movement, chaeto fuge, temperature control, and topoff water come out of one return bulkhead in my tank. No other method could have provided all of this without having either unsightly equipment in the tank, or an overflow (which means no 360degree visibility). HTH.

Cheers,

- Chad :D

cool, ill be first in line =D

but dont you live in canada? I'll try to ask Six because he lives near me i think

oh and how do you evenly distribute the flow?

and where and how did you set up the lamps?

i cant find a 70w 20k anywhere...

Archived