Coral Vue Hydros

Fish's new cube diary

ninjafish

258 members have voted

1. 1. What should I put on the bottom of the tank?

• Thin layer of aragonite
    • Bare bottom

chad,

if you do ever decide to sell that lamp...let me know, i guess i'll be second in line. :P

also, i vaguely saw it in your video but if it's not too much trouble, could you post a couple of pictures of how you've connected the controller and auto top off to your filter return line....and what is the series (number) of your advantage control pump?

thanks again,

jon

Lol man... that Avatar is... not appropriate man

Hey fish whats the green grass stuff on your sand.. like in a clump. Is that a Green Star Polyp,

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup that's GSP. My plan is to grow it out and have it replace as much of my sandbed as possible...

And as for that avatar... maybe I'll just keep watching it for a while longer before making up my mind on it...

- Chad

thats fine

oh and how do you evenly distribute the flow?

and where and how did you set up the lamps?

i cant find a 70w 20k anywhere...

As for the flow, the water shoots out of the bulkhead straight up to the surface of the water. When it hits the surface, it billows back down on all four sides. I couldn't have gotten better water movement if I'd planned it...

And I got my bulbs on ebay.

HTH

- Chad

It's your call bro. I didn't get acrylic because I was worried about getting scratches... I have never owned an acrylic tank before so I don't have any experience with how much of a risk it is. I really like the look of the seamless, rounded edge tanks but I don't think I would buy one if it was constructed normally like a glass tank. Of course, if you are having a hard time finding a glass one, and the price is right... it might be worth a shot to try it out. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Regards,

- Chad

hey fish, i decided to get acrylic. Would you recommend a Hydor FLO for the return? and you put the holes closer to the back of the tank then to the front right? so theres space for LR

I would love to see system setup pics. and maybe pics of the inside of your canister filter. Yeah, I'm weird like that. ehhhhhh

I don't have anything more recent right now but here are a few that might get the idea across:

Just drilled the hole for the submersible lights:

modified.jpg

Upgraded to larger filter:

inside.jpg

Added 50w heater when I went to a larger cube:

filtermod.jpg

First trials:

10857050121.jpg

- Chad

hey fish, i decided to get acrylic. Would you recommend a Hydor FLO for the return? and you put the holes closer to the back of the tank then to the front right? so theres space for LR

I think acrylic should look great, just be careful about scratching it. I personally wouldn't get a hydor flow but it is your call. It will be a little unsightly in the tank because of its size and will probably add a little head pressure to your output. The main reason that I wouldn't use it though is because water movement is not a problem at all. Having 20-30x's turnover directed straight up to the surface will give you better surface agitation and better turbulent circulation than most reef tanks ever get. It is a popular piece of equipment right now, so if you wanted to get one just for the tricked-out value of it you can, but the tank really doesn't need one. You just need a pump that is strong enough to give you the desired turnover - and if you don't have enough, it still wont matter what direction you put the flow in. HTH

- Chad

My bulkheads are located halfway between the center of the tank and the back wall. Just figure out where you want you rockwork to be and then place your bulkheads accordingly.

- Chad

Thanx. I watched your video, but I didn't get a real good idea.

I should really take some better pics of the inside. The submersible 5w light does an awesome job and the chaeto is lush and green.

- Chad

how much are your filters fish? like how much did you buy it for?

Eheim Professionel II External Filter 2026 with Filter Pads (Coarse Filter Pad + EHFISYNTH Filter Pad) 8.5"x8.5"x15.5" $199.99

thats the best one i could find 251 gph. Its not bad. This would make my total cost... only $420 =D

How big is your tank?

My filter is the eheim 2128 - but I cut off the powercord and thermostat controller for the built in heater so now it is more like a 2028 :P . It gives me a really good amount of flow and is pretty close to yours (only about 25gph more).

The best place to get a cannister filter is from the local want ads or another hobbyist getting rid of theirs. Almost every person starting saltwater gets sold a cannister filter by their LFS. When they become more knowledgable, they all get rid of them because they realize that cannister filters are not very good for marine tanks. When they become brilliant (like us), they realize that cannister filters are awesome for ultra-clean nanoreefs.

Cheers,

- Chad

Lol! =D is there already like a channel for macroalgae? or did you make one?

you do still need a powerhead to run the filters right?

and it seems these look different then yours? maybe a newer model? nvm they look the same =D

filters_eh_pro2_canister_filters.jpg

Nope mine looks exactly the same as the larger one on the right. I don't use any of the eheim media in my filter. The bottom compartment is full of LR rubble pieces that I broke up with a hammer. The middle compartment is a big ball of macroalgae, and the top compartment is taken up by my heater and a little sock of carbon.

You do not need a powerhead. The top of the cannister filter is the pump housing and contains the mag-drive impellor that provides the water flow.

- Chad

Archived