Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Custom Overflowing Tank for Clams

pandabehr

HotRod68Camaro

to put in the same tank? yea i love my misbar, its the female so its bigger than the smaller one has perfect striping. I have sold almost everyting in my tank (going back to school and wont be able to maintain as well) besides my corcea and 2 clowns b/c i do not want to get rid of them. So i may set up a 10gal or keep my 20 w/o other corals.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
to put in the same tank? yea i love my misbar, its the female so its bigger than the smaller one has perfect striping. I have sold almost everyting in my tank (going back to school and wont be able to maintain as well) besides my corcea and 2 clowns b/c i do not want to get rid of them. So i may set up a 10gal or keep my 20 w/o other corals.

Diffrent tanks man.... diffrent tanks! Mixing is so tragic!

I added a small orange torch coral today along with a Citron Goby...I havent seen my tangaroa goby today...The carpet is looking happier....hmmmmmm.

I Put a green bubble tip anemone in my fuge area with my Fire Clown...Lets see if she will host it.

Thanks for the compliments folks!

The carpet is coming back strong. The fire clown must have been making him mad. Saw the tangaroa goby today, so shy..but an awesome. The Citron is going wild...seems happy. The FIre clown love the bubble tip I gave him, lets hope the love is returned.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm curious about how you got it to overflow:

Are you using a mag 7 or a mag 3?

What size bulks heads are you using?

Im actually using a mag 5, perfect flow for this size tank. I am using 3/4" as returns and 1" for the drains.

hawt! B)

that tropic bio-calcium seems to be doing well. what's in it? championlighting.com seems to be the only one (ols that i use at least) that carries it. is it like aragamilk?

I'm still in awe everytime I look at this tank and believe me when I say I've probably read through this forum at least 3 times. More pictures!

Well, I got confused about which mag u're using to create the overflow. In the beginning when you created this tank, I thought that a mag 5 was causing it to overflow unevenly depending on what pipe the scwd caused the water to come out of.

Did you have to decrease this flow with a mag 3 or increase the flow with a mag 7 to cause it to flow evenly? Or did the mag 5 eventually cause it to overflow correctly?

In order to get it to overflow all sides equally I am going to go from a mag 5 to a mag 7. Then it will overflow equally.

I may have to downgrade fro a mag 5 to a mag 3. The flow might be just a tad too much for even acro's. I know the flow will be too much for the clams.

I'll give you all the specs, I hope to help with the confusion

Main pump, Mag 5

Water movement, SCWD

Skimmer, None

Lighting, Aqua Medic Pendant 250 watt. Phoneix 14k bulb. Blue line moonlights custom installed

Fuge (Currently Home to my carpet and Fire Clown)

Fuge pump Rio 1400

Fuge Light, Custom Sea Life 2x65 watt. Current smart paq bulbs

I have the sump and fuge behind my utlility room wall, My first design had the sump in the stand.

Also, during power outages does the cube drain water back to the sump to the level of the return pipes?

Sorry for all the question, i'm just really interested and curious about ur tank. It's amazing that's why.

Also, during power outages does the cube drain water back to the sump to the level of the return pipes?

Sorry for all the question, i'm just really interested and curious about ur tank. It's amazing that's why.

I have a check valve on the return plumming to avoid the back flow in the event of power outtages, works perfect.

Do you have any pictures of the fuge?

Fuge pics,

Not really a macro algea fuge....Im try xenia for nutrient export. right now it is housing my carpet and a Red Saddle Clown (AKA fire Clown).

post-813-1157868815_thumb.jpg

Ok Folks,

Im felling kinda sick, so at 2am I decided to take some pics of a newly cleaned tank.

Some of my most recent additions.

I moved the carpet to the fuge. I lost my BTA because my AC died for three days last week. Tank went from 77 to 82...shockingly the only thing I lost was the bubble tip. The fire clown is happy again, it really loves the carpet. I fear that the clown is slowly killing it...she is very rough with it. If it does not improve soon I'll look for a new home for it. Anyone local looking for a carpet, CHEAP!

I added a stunning new crocea, a blue ZEBRA crocea.... Ultra Premium!

I added a few frags of Blasto merletti and a nice Blasto wellsi (both doing amazing). The tangaroa goby is paired up with the highfin and the indian ocean pistol...so awesome. I can never get a picture, they are shy. I added a gold coral banded to replace the pair that the carpet ate. Im working on some micromussa frags :lol: cant wait! THe citron gody is f'n up the acro that was doing so great. Some tissue recession is showing up.. oh well.. Im on a LPS kick right now anyhow.

In general this tank is doing awesome. By far the best I have had. Everything I put in it thrives. Although I have three panda gobies that I havent seen....

enjoy the pics..

How do you have it hooked up to your main tank? I am going to try the same thing with xenia. How much flow is going through it?

[/quote

I have 10 gallon tank that I drilled. It is draining into my sump. I have a rio 1400 plummed with pvc to the tank for a return. I have it throttled back 1/3 of the way and it is split into two returns. I would say about 200 gallons an hour, xenia loves it! So does a nice chalice that is residing there right now.

more pics!

PHYTO anyone?

post-813-1157869513_thumb.jpg

post-813-1157869529_thumb.jpg

post-813-1157869542_thumb.jpg

post-813-1157869563_thumb.jpg

post-813-1157869594_thumb.jpg

post-813-1157870064_thumb.jpg

post-813-1157870092_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet tank!!! I dream of having a tank like this.

Did you build the tank yourself? If so, I would love to get the plans from you if you would like to share them.

Is the drainage try part of, or connected to the tank?

What happens when power goes out?

Any other info you could share with me about adesing like this, or links to find info would be great!!!

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

UPDATES>>>

Its been almost a year. The tank is doing amazing. No real problems to report. I had a small caulerpa breakout (Imported with a clam)....I added a quarter sized Scopas tang... Did the trick. Decimated the caulerpa in about a week. I lost one squammie due to an over aggressive echinata. My clams have grown over 1 1/2 inches. I removed the black percs, I am expecting some Pink skunks from ORA soon. Hope to get some TAPETUMS soon.....

post-813-1168842810_thumb.jpg

post-813-1168842848_thumb.jpg

post-813-1168842864_thumb.jpg

Archived