inTank Media Baskets

Custom Overflowing Tank for Clams

pandabehr

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
scarf_ace1981

bravo. great tank and inhabitants. one question. it doesn't make much noise right? i mean the water isn't splashing so i would think it's fairly quiet. have you tried more flow? this would increase the water falling over the sides and give you a clearer viewing picture. no?

bravo. great tank and inhabitants. one question. it doesn't make much noise right? i mean the water isn't splashing so i would think it's fairly quiet. have you tried more flow? this would increase the water falling over the sides and give you a clearer viewing picture. no?

The tank doesnt make that much noise. The flow at this point is perfect for the clams, so I would hate to tweak it. The pictures do not do it justice. You have a clear view through the water in person. Tomorrow Im picing up a huge oxypora/mycedium and later on this week I'm picking up a gold maxima.

The anemone seems to have lost some its orange color, but that may

just be the picture or the shadows casted by the rocks..... looking good

nonetheless!

~mazda

• 1 month later...

Is has been a while since my last post. Between selling my Ducati, getting a new GTO and my 1 year old daughter I dont have as much time to post here. So in the last month I have had a few changes. My yashia dissappeared (Carpet Got him, I think). I took out the Domino's they getting lympocycis. The carpet has doubled in size. Here is a list of the clams that I have.

Three Ultra Blue Crocea's (All attached to rock work)

One Baby Gold Maxima

One Ultra Green Maxima

One Small Super Orange Deresa

One Larger Multi-Colored Deresa

One Ultra Premium Red and Pink Maxima

One Medium Yellow and Green Squamosa

Its getting kinda crowded. At this point I have just enough room for the elusive Black and white maxima and thats all. If I see any better clams out there I am just gonna start selling them out of my tank and replacing them with the new clams.

My calcium depletion is huge. Im dropping 200 ppm over the course of a week. Im Using all ESV proudcts (Magnesium, Potassium Iodide, Strontium Chloride, Bromide) along with Tropic Marine Pro Reef Salt. I just started adding Tropic Marine Bio-Calcium. Since using it my clams have grown about 1/4" in over a month! Great stuff!

My fire clowns are doing great! Im planning to add a few small gobies to the mix. Some panda gobies and a few clown gobies. I still have a very loney indian ocean pistol that needs a friend....I'm thinking maybe a high finned banded goby (not as exspensive as a yashia..err carpet food).So all is well.. I have stared adding some SPS, a few acro and monti frags. I have some zoo's here and there for color. I have a nice frogspawn and a great Meat coral as well. Enjoy the new pics!post-813-1143947613_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah, I switched from a 10000k Aqua medic 250 HQI to The Phonix 14k 250. It doesent photograph as nice but it looks great in person! More Pics...

post-813-1143947641_thumb.jpg

post-813-1143947655_thumb.jpg

post-813-1143947688_thumb.jpg

post-813-1143947706_thumb.jpg

post-813-1143947862_thumb.jpg

post-813-1143947881_thumb.jpg

post-813-1143947896_thumb.jpg

post-813-1143947911_thumb.jpg

post-813-1143947924_thumb.jpg

WOW.

did you ever think to put a slight raise on the front pannel so water doesn't go down that side? though at this point, i think it would be more trouble than it's worth.

WOW.

did you ever think to put a slight raise on the front pannel so water doesn't go down that side? though at this point, i think it would be more trouble than it's worth.

I though of that.....but not as cool. I have a control box on the side of the stand I can switch it off anytime I want to get a clear view.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just curious. I run an open top system and I worry about dust and things of that nature floating into the water. Have you had any issues with that sort of thing, air freshiners, dust either in the tank or the side overflows???

Very very nice looking tank, Have you had any fish/shrimp tank a ride over the side???? :)

Just curious. I run an open top system and I worry about dust and things of that nature floating into the water. Have you had any issues with that sort of thing, air freshiners, dust either in the tank or the side overflows???

Very very nice looking tank, Have you had any fish/shrimp tank a ride over the side???? :)

Nope! No problems at all! I had a clowfish take a ride but he ended up in the sump.

Chupacabras

My LFS has a couple of these tanks and the OP's right, pics just can't compare to what these look like in person. One's an octogon at about the same size as this one and the other's around 48"x36"x12"... I'd think not having the water cascading down the viewing surface would booger up the charm of these tanks.

Hey Panda are you running a skimmer at all? What kind of filtration do you have besides the live rock? The last pic of your sump didn't have anything in it...

• 1 month later...

Its been a while since the last update. Some new pics for ya.. Some recent additions are:

High Fin Banded Goby (replaces my yashia..er carpet food)

Pair of Black Percs (Moved my red saddle clown to my fuge)

Tangaroa Goby

Two more Blue Crocea

Two Squamosa

Bunch of Zoanthids

Meat Coral

Nice Green Blasto

Peppermint Shrimp (aiptasia control)

I had to remove the Red saddle because she was not letting the carpet anemone eat. She would not pair up either she would kill every mate I tried to pair her with. Right now my carpet is doing better. It is not very sticky right now, although the color and mouth looks ok. Im not sure if the 14k phonex bulb is ####### the carpet off. As soon as I put the 14k bulb on it moved into a cave only exposed to partial light. Im going to put the 10k bulb back on next week.

As far as the set up. I am not running a skimmer. I do about a 5 gallon water change a week. I try to use Tropic Marine Pro as much as I can... Right now Instant ocean is what I have. I dose:

B-ionic

Tropic Marine Bio Calcium

ESV Strontium, Magnesium and Iodide

I feed New life Spectrum Flakes (Amazing Flake Food)

Sanfrancisco Bay Plankton, Mysis and Marine Cusine (I alternate)

I make my own Phytoplankton (Nanochrloipsis and Isochrysis) for the clams.

I run a carbon reactor One day a week before my weekly waterchange (ESV Carbon)

So far so good!

I'd like to add the following:

Maximas.... Maybe even a Zebra Maxima.

Im thinking about selling a few of my clams in order to fund the $300.00 zebra.

I have 3 trimma gobys and 3 panda gobys on order.

I'm also eyeing a swissgard basslet....

I work for The Marine Scene (www.marinescene.com) so I have great access to awesome stuff.

This fall Im going to set up a clownfish breeding station... more to come!

post-813-1155614850_thumb.jpg

post-813-1155614864_thumb.jpg

post-813-1155615356_thumb.jpg

Im in love with your tank. Looks like your clown pair is just like mine, one misbar and a normal one.

I love the Misbars. I purchased both as misbars, the one that looks misbar was completely black when I got him, some white is popping up now. I'm trying to score some wild true percs... or some onyx percs...or maybe a Jigsaw Falsie!

Archived