Innovative Marine Aquariums

Custom Overflowing Tank for Clams

pandabehr

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for not getting the pics up sooner. Just got a new camera...wanted to show it off! Im about half way done with the set up. I am waiting for some sweet pieces of Buna Branch rock to cure. Hopefully next week it with be ready to pop in the tank. So far so good. Nothing to complain about.

I have a 10 gallon fuge with a 65 watt pc fixture (More pics coming soon)

I have to change the stock Aquamedic bulb...to yellow. I love the 14.5 megachromes,maybe next month.

Anyhow enjoy the pics... I promise more to come.

post-813-1136089539.jpg

that is a very beautiful tank. It looks like you've planned it out nicely. I believe you answered to one of my post on the general board concerning lagoon tanks. Your tank is a treat to see.

Thanks for posting and keep us posted!

Petty nice, except for the view. I agree that you should have made only the front panel 1/4" higher to prevent overflow. That way you'd have one non-unobtrusive view.

Once you get a good biofilm developed, the water should flow over the whole side, instead of in a slight "V" shape shown in those pics. Might help to continually wet those parts with your hand to eventually work up the biofilm.

I agree, evap must be horid. You top-off manually, or have a RO fed auto top-off?

Petty nice, except for the view. I agree that you should have made only the front panel 1/4" higher to prevent overflow. That way you'd have one non-unobtrusive view.

Once you get a good biofilm developed, the water should flow over the whole side, instead of in a slight "V" shape shown in those pics. Might help to continually wet those parts with your hand to eventually work up the biofilm.

I agree, evap must be horid. You top-off manually, or have a RO fed auto top-off?

In order to get it to overflow all sides equally I am going to go from a mag 5 to a mag 7. Then it will overflow equally. Beleive it or not you can see clearly through the water flow. It gets a bit distorted towards the bottom two inches. As for evaporation, I am using a Tunze osmolator...no problems. I go through 1 gallons day of evap.

Here are some more pics!

GREAT TANK!!! They have one much like this at the Waikiki aquarium that I saw last week. I'll get the photos later. But one thing they did to make it very "zen" was to have those black waterfall type smooth rocks around the edges in the overflow zone.

Awesome tank! I have seen these before, and love the fact that you have an unobstructed look at how you should look at clams - from above. Just an FYI... Put an electrified barbed wire fence around that bad boy to keep out any unwanted stuff. I stressed for a few months wondering why my 30g slowly declined in health, doing everything I could, until I found the culprit. PENNIES! Some little snot-nosed rug-rat visiting my parents house had something to do w/ it. Now you know why my 75g is going in wall. I do wish I had the resources for a tank like yours.

The salt creep is not that bad. I made corner gaurds out of acrylic to help keep the wall behind the tank in good shape. It has been runnig for a month. I wipe the tray off twice a week when I clean the sides. So far it has been a breeze! I am picking up about 15 lbs of buna branch from my work this weekend (I have had it curing there for about a month). I'll let it run for about another month before I add clams and acro's. My goal is to have everything in order by May. Still trying to decide if I am going to run a skimmer or not. I have a 10 gallon fuge and I am ritual about water changes.

I'll try to post pics of the sump room later on. Thanks for all of the compliments!

Very nice. Glad to hear the salt creep isn't a major problem. Maybe one dayI'll do a tank like that. I've seen them around before and they are amazing. Congrats on such a sweet tank.

here are a few more pics, enjoy. I also added a pic of my xenia fuge with my breeding false percs. Also my juvi Fire Clowns...hopefully they will breed some day! I added a few pieces of buna branch rock to the right side.....That stuff is amazing!

post-813-1136695634_thumb.jpg

post-813-1136695669_thumb.jpg

post-813-1136695737_thumb.jpg

post-813-1136695789_thumb.jpg

post-813-1136695870_thumb.jpg

post-813-1136695929_thumb.jpg

Archived