Cultivated Reef

Easy Refugium Fuge Light for the Nano Cube

steelhealr

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an extendable scraper with a metal edge on it. Many people claim Kent Marine Pro's are good. SH

To MVS, no..but....the biggest change in growth in my macro I've only seen with the light I changed to. My Azoo kept it alive and there was definitely growth..but..the 27 Watt has really made and difference and I can only ascribe my zero nitrates to the increase in chaeto mass. SH

Alpaca Farm

Hello Everyone! I am new to the forum as I am 12 days into my new Nano Cube 24. I have been reading in the background for a few weeks and taking in all the great information. I think the behind the tank cutout mod is great but I decided to try a different approach. This is not a low cost method but something I wanted to share with everyone. Also, I would appreciate any comments on why you think it will or will not work. Nevertheless, I will update my progress if anyone is interested.

I was looking for a way to add a separate refugium and came up with the following. I wanted a system that was closed so I didn't have to worry about water overflow, etc...:

I added a ViaAqua 300 canister filter (210 gph) under my cabinet. I cut out 2 small holes (with a dremel tool) on the back of the canopy in chambers 1 and 2 where I added my intake and outlet pipes. I removed 2 of the baskets from the canister and left one remaining for filter floss or sponge and chemical media. I will most likely experiment with this as I'm not sure what I will keep in the basket long term if anything at all. Although since the intake is in chamber one, it does pull the suspended matter in immediately before getting to chamber 2 or 3. Underneath I have added a nice fresh softball size of Chaepo. On each side of the canister I have 10 watt 50/50 PC's in clamp light fixtures. The plastic on the canister is tinted a bit so I think the 2 10,000k bulbs should be sufficient to penetrate. I have included pictures.

I think one of the big additional benefits to this system is the extra 2 gallons it adds plus additional flow. The flow through the canister is good but not enough to significantly agitate the Chaepo which I think is good. OK, what are the thoughts......

post-19128-1141442752_thumb.jpg

post-19128-1141442829_thumb.jpg

since start of this compartment... i have removed enough cheato(size of bowling ball) to the size of a baseball twice now in 3 months

yellowish toward glass when it runs out of room...I then remove the cheato closest to back wall yellowish from over growth. the cheato away from the light next to plastic wall is the greenest of all? strange that cheato closest to light almost gets too much but wow does it grow!

To Alpaca Farm...I think the work and thought are excellent, but, tinted plastic will change the color of the light spectrum. I"d be curious to see how it does. Remember, the chaeto and filter material you put in that canister can get trapped. Keep an eye on your nitrates. We're following. SH

Alpaca Farm

The change of the light spectrum is my largest concern but I guess time will tell. The canister is easy to service so I will be cleaning or changing the foam about once a week. I figured any other trapped debris might be good for the Chaeto to feed on. I of course will then export through pruning (if it grows).

Thanks for your thoughts. Here are a couple pictures of my tank after 11 days. The diatoms and hair algae have started. Since the Ammonia is gone I added 2 Astrea's to get started on everything. The LR came with lots of purple algae, small BW's (dead now) and feather dusters (doing great). It also has a small sponge but I'm doubtful it will make it for the long haul.

post-19128-1141492705_thumb.jpg

post-19128-1141492737_thumb.jpg

stoney waters
since start of this compartment... i have removed enough cheato(size of bowling ball) to the size of a baseball twice now in 3 months

yellowish toward glass when it runs out of room...I then remove the cheato closest to back wall yellowish from over growth. the cheato away from the light next to plastic wall is the greenest of all? strange that cheato closest to light almost gets too much but wow does it grow!

I notice the same thing. At first I thought that it might be tender new growth. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the densest growth occurred in the middle of the bunch and not the front or the back. I got to thinking that maybe this stuff has a way of redistributing its chlorophyll in order to let light pass deeper into the mass. Then again I sometimes get into trouble for thinking too much. :P

Anyway, I still rotate the bunch every couple of weeks.

-Stone

• 3 weeks later...

Would this light work for a fuge?

http://superfishstore.com/waterworld/nfosc...roducts_id=1446

I am thinking of making a custom box to house the light in with a fan to keep it cool. I need to have as little light coming out as possible because my tank is in the room where I sleep. I am going to try and use velcro to attack it to the back so I can have easy access the the light whenever I need.

GM

That’s exactly the light I’ve been using for 1 month now. The chaeto is increasing in size just at a slow rate; which may not be such a bad thing being that we are in the nano hobby.

My nitrates have remained at 0 and I currently have one small clown fish, feeding small amounts twice a day, and three pieces of coral.

So far so good although, as far as a disclaimer is concerned, I’m only 3 months into my first SW aquarium so only time can tell.

I believe they sell that light in an all white version, I chose the 50/50 due to a temperature problem I experienced with a different light.

Good luck!

Edit: For the housing, I’m currently using a small light fixture, roughly 9” that has a screw in bulb attachment. I cut out small holes where the vents were and attached two small fans that I have running at about a 7v speed; works great minimal light leakage.

shao-lin nano

Alpaca Farm:

Another member here (FISH) has done something similar. He submerged an LED light into a canister filter filled with LR rubble and macro as well. He has it hooked up to his custom starfire nano cube.

It seems to me that alge will grow with almost any type of light. I'm sure your setup will be fine even if it's not at the optimum spectrum for the chaeto.

At my local fish store. It’s basically a strip light, like the ones that come with a typical all glass aquarium, except it has a screw in lighting fixture.

Check out your local fish store or try searching online.

Edit: What can I say I'm a nice guy. I checked the manufacture’s name and did a quick search. I’m almost positive this is the one; just make sure it has a screw in fixture.

You can see where the vents are; I tore out the ones facing the top and placed the fans in substitute.

Good luck

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_det...D=1143072457288

Well I ended up purchasing the coralife 10W light for my external fuge light. I also decided to build a box of my own design to put the light in. I will probably install this today when I do a water change so I can move the tank around to give me some room to work on the back of the tank. I will use velcro to mount the box on the back of the tank.

Here is a link to where some pics are posted:

http://homepage.mac.com/garrettm21/PhotoAlbum2.html

Sparkling_Surfer

WOW, I finally took the time to read through this entire thread (I know, I'm a little late) because I'll be receiving some chaeto next week. There are so many great ideas that I don't know which project I should take on! Regardless, I'll have to keep the chaeto in my display tank for the next month until I move home because my tank is right up against a wall now. Until then, I have time to plan and get a light ready.

So, which light is best? I don't want it to affect the temperature much. Oh, and I don't want to spend too much (I'm a college student!). It doesn't matter how large it is since the tank will be positioned accordingly when I get home. Also keep in mind that I'd rather not have too much light leakage...the tank will be in my room and I don't sleep very well as it is.

I'll have to talk to my dad about this and see if he has any ideas as well.

NanoCube-boy

I bought a 13watt Azoo Galazy light and hope that will make my cheats much better. It's a 7000k with 13watts of power lighting.

Do you think that's enough to keep the chaets alive and grow?

My light is working EXCELLENTLY and no heat addition, but, unless shielded, lot's of light spillover. My tank is downstairs away from sleeping areas. You may have to build a box/screen. SH

NanoCube-boy

Well i just installed my Azoo 13watt, 7000k, Galxy lighting today. I hope my chaets starts growing soon because i doesn't seem to look so well.

Any thoughts on using a Coralife Mini Aqualight for a fuge light on an Aquapod 24?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...=1&N=2004&Nty=1

It seems as though I could order the freshwater version with two 9w 6700k bulbs. I'd then scrape a 9"x5" hole in the back covering of the chambers, attach the hood to the glass somehow, and voila. If 18w total is too much, I presume I could just unplug one of the bulbs and go to 9w. For $30 bucks, this seems to be a nice, tidy solution with limited light spill. If it runs too hot, I'd either place an eggcrate buffer between the light and the tank and/or remove the internal ballast and mount them on the outside.

NanoCube-boy

18watts? hmm... Well to be honest I don't even know how many watts does chaets need but I know chaets grow under 5000k.

I think it's a great fuge lighting. I'm assuming that it will grow massively. I hope my thirteen watts lighting can make my chaets grow. Do anyone think 13watts are good for the chaets?

Archived