Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Easy Refugium Fuge Light for the Nano Cube

steelhealr

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
beyondtheblue
Here is what I did on my 24G DX. Cut the backing and velcro the light (coralife mini)

img2746sd7.jpg

img2748pp2.jpg

Dude..hehe that is exactly what I will be doing to mine. I decided yesterday that velcro would be more than adequate to stick it to back of tank. That should work really well.

beyondtheblue
Anyone have a link to where you can get one of the corallife mini lights?

Nanotuners should have them in stock.

That's a nice clean install o-nano. Do you know the wattage and color temperature of the bulbs in the corallife setup? I went with the sunlight from Home Depot, and had my refugium on for the first time last night after getting my chaeto and the light spillover is really annoying. It actually comes up over the false wall and spills over into the main tank, which I really don't like. If people are going to cut the vinyl on the back of their cubes I'd recommend leaving a few inches along the top to prevent this. Looks like your setup won't have that problem!

EDIT: Never mind, I found it. Total of 18W (9 each) and bulbs are 6700K. I would be interested in knowing what kind of heat is generated as well.

burtbollinger
Id also like to know if the fixture in "o-nano's" pictures is indeed the one linked from nanotuners back 1 page or was he using this one?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...p;N=2004+113345

I've got the azoo palm light shining into the back of my fuge, and its working very well and producing nice green cheato growth...for all of these fancy solutions, please be aware that the @$8 light is working damn well ;)

I've got the azoo palm light shining into the back of my fuge, and its working very well and producing nice green cheato growth...for all of these fancy solutions, please be aware that the @$8 light is working damn well ;)

I agree that would work well, but I am trying to avoid a ton of light spillage into the room. From where I view my tank most of the time I can see the side of it and therefor the back so having a light back spilling light would be annoying.

Id also like to know if the fixture in "o-nano's" pictures is indeed the one linked from nanotuners back 1 page or was he using this one?

Both lights have the same specs just different names, the drsfoster one is 7 bucks cheaper though.

I think the intrest in this lighting solution is that it is cleaner than the palm light option, if the mini-light mod doesnt heat up the water like it looks as if it does cause it is right up to the glass I will go with it since it doesnt have the light spillage like the palm light does.

burtbollinger
Both lights have the same specs just different names, the drsfoster one is 7 bucks cheaper though.

I think the intrest in this lighting solution is that it is cleaner than the palm light option, if the mini-light mod doesnt heat up the water like it looks as if it does cause it is right up to the glass I will go with it since it doesnt have the light spillage like the palm light does.

word...mine is up against the wall, clipped to the cord, then heavily duct taped onto the back glass to make sure its shining right on the chaeto + blocking out most light spillage. If you were really concerned about the spillage, you could do a duct-tape/black electrical tape combo...just a thought, I'm bored at work ;)

once the palm light konks out, I do like the look of that option above, the 18? watt one for around $22.

Both fixtures are the same. I mounted mine as low as I could (it is actually resting on the bottom lip of the tank) so that I would not get spillover. The hole I cut is exactly the size of the light (I used the plexi glass cover from the light as a template so my cutout is perfect. I have my fans set to run 24/7 so I get no temp increase whatsoever. The fuge light goes on when the moonlights come on and the daytime and actinics are off so its a wash in terms of temps (78-80 degrees all day, everyday). I am very pleased with the install and my chaeto is growing quickly. I really was on the get a protein skimmer kick and after a few failed attempts to find or invent one that would allow me to keep the stock hood I gave up and went down the refugium path. Definitely the best move I have made.

A few more questions for you o-nano, if you'll kindly entertain them. Do you have the plexiglass cover back on the fixture when installed on your tank or did you leave it off? Is there enough room to attach velcro on the frame of the reflector if you leave the cover off? Any feelings on whether one would get less heat transfered into the tank with or without the plexiglass cover on the fixture? Thanks a lot, I really like your version of this mod.

I know that all too well. I was asking about the refugium light fixture, whether or not he removed the plexiglass cover from that.

Both fixtures are the same. I mounted mine as low as I could (it is actually resting on the bottom lip of the tank) so that I would not get spillover. The hole I cut is exactly the size of the light (I used the plexi glass cover from the light as a template so my cutout is perfect. I have my fans set to run 24/7 so I get no temp increase whatsoever. The fuge light goes on when the moonlights come on and the daytime and actinics are off so its a wash in terms of temps (78-80 degrees all day, everyday). I am very pleased with the install and my chaeto is growing quickly. I really was on the get a protein skimmer kick and after a few failed attempts to find or invent one that would allow me to keep the stock hood I gave up and went down the refugium path. Definitely the best move I have made.

This sealed the deal for me, this is the fixture I am going for. I will mount it low too. How does it adhere to the glass?

I need something clean with no light spillage.

My fan and temp swings are like yours exactly so lighting it reverse of my normal lights will be a wash too. Question, is yours a 24g or 12g? I want to use that light for my 12g.

This sealed the deal for me, this is the fixture I am going for. I will mount it low too. How does it adhere to the glass?

My fan and temp swings are like yours exactly so lighting it reverse of my normal lights will be a wash too. Question, is yours a 24g or 12g? I want to use that light for my 12g.

o-nano has a 24 I believe, look back to original post on previous page for details and pics

I am trying to do this on my 12 as well. I have the same temp swings from 78 at start of light cycle and then 80 at the end. Just hope it does not raise it too much since we would have less volume to control temps in a 12 gal.

A few more questions for you o-nano, if you'll kindly entertain them. Do you have the plexiglass cover back on the fixture when installed on your tank or did you leave it off? Is there enough room to attach velcro on the frame of the reflector if you leave the cover off? Any feelings on whether one would get less heat transfered into the tank with or without the plexiglass cover on the fixture? Thanks a lot, I really like your version of this mod.

I put the plexi cover back on. I adhered the velcro only to the frame of the mini light and it holds perfectly. I think using the bottom frame of the tank as support helps. As far as temp with or without the plexi I didn't put much thought to it (sorry). I figure it was designed to use the plexi so I'm using it. If you go with this setup and try it without and see temp improvements let me know.

Good luck

I have a 24G. Not sure of the impact on a 12G.

• 3 weeks later...
o-nano has a 24 I believe, look back to original post on previous page for details and pics

I am trying to do this on my 12 as well. I have the same temp swings from 78 at start of light cycle and then 80 at the end. Just hope it does not raise it too much since we would have less volume to control temps in a 12 gal.

schnell76 I am ordering my light later this week:

The Mini-Freshwater version that includes two 9 watt, 6700°K full-spectrum bulbs.

I wanted to know if you set yours up on the 12g since all the talk here has been about linning it up on the 24g. I plan to set it up exactly like o-nano.

Hi all, Hey check out this LED I found. I think it would be great for a refugium. It's small enough and comes with a sticky back that would mount inside a cube hood. Both light and transformer can be had for less than $20 bucks. I wouldn't think it would use much power and might have less heat. Here is the link:

http://autolumination.com/fixtures.htm

Let me know what you think, Thanks.

Does anybody use a UV Sterilizer in conjunction with the fuge? Would this be beneficial or would it work against the benefits of the fuge? I would assume that if you could use a UV Sterilizer that it would have to be placed in the compartment before the fuge in order to keep all the bugs from being zapped. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Archived