Innovative Marine Aquariums

Easy Refugium Fuge Light for the Nano Cube

steelhealr

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a very amateur DIY type of question.

I just added a 13w light to the back of my 6g NC; I’m expecting to get some chaeto by the end of the week. Anyway, I want to create a case to stop the leaking of the light and can’t seem to find any good products at the hardware store. So I was thinking, could hard aluminum, you know the type used for cooking, be used for this purpose? Size wise, it would work great but my real concern is hooking up a fan. Does anyone see any problems cutting some holes and attaching two small fans?

I have a very amateur DIY type of question.

I just added a 13w light to the back of my 6g NC; I’m expecting to get some chaeto by the end of the week. Anyway, I want to create a case to stop the leaking of the light and can’t seem to find any good products at the hardware store. So I was thinking, could hard aluminum, you know the type used for cooking, be used for this purpose? Size wise, it would work great but my real concern is hooking up a fan. Does anyone see any problems cutting some holes and attaching two small fans?

Check on page 8 of this thread, Stoney made a nice case w/ fan for his fuge light out of a PVC electrical box from Lowes. Here is a link to his tank set

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59497

You can use any kind of case or box for your DIY light box if it's the right size and not going to be affected by water splashing on it.

I found some door gasket tape at HD that worked great for stopping light bleed around the fuge light I made.

Thanks Rick, I’m a big fan, no pun intended, of your mods.

I noticed that thread regarding Stoney’s light and believe it or not, I went to two home depots and couldn’t find anything that resembled it.

If you don’t believe there are any drawbacks to using the aluminum, I guess I’ll give it a try.

I also came across some form of a tube or pip system in the plumbing section of HD that might be a better alternative.

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback.

I noticed that thread regarding Stoney’s light and believe it or not, I went to two home depots and couldn’t find anything that resembled it.

If you don’t believe there are any drawbacks to using the aluminum, I guess I’ll give it a try.

I also came across some form of a tube or pip system in the plumbing section of HD that might be a better alternative.

Thanks for the Kudos

There is nothing wrong with using aluminum outside the tank and the metal will dissipate the heat better than plastic. Some aluminum products are soft enough to be easy to work with. You could just spray paint it black if you don't like the silver color.

Just make sure you are very careful in sealing the electrical connections, because aluminum conducts electricity very well.

stoney waters

MVS

I think you might have been looking in the wrong department. Most all hardware stores large or small should carry PVC access boxes like the one I used. They should be in the electrical dept near the conduit and such. Anyway the whole idea wasn't planned, it just came together while browsing Lowe's one day. Looks like the same thing happened to you. I say go with your idea and post it here. I draw inspiration from other peoples creativity. Its what makes the hobby so fascinating.

Good luck

-Stone

Lowe's and Home Depot....both spawned a LOT of DIY's...you can just stroll down the aisle and 'AND MY HEAD I'D BE SCRATCHING WHILE MY THOUGHTS WERE BUSY HATCHING .....SH

Well, if you guys really want to laugh, I guess I’ll share my new addition with you.

I was at HD today and finally came across the access box unfortunately, they wanted $20. Being that I just laid out that much yesterday for a 13W light, I decided to go the economical way. So I paid a visit to my local dollar store and spent $0.33 on an aluminum pan intended for cooking. I cut some holes for the fans, attached the fans with some screws and bolts and the end result is at attached with this post.

I used electrical tape to stop any light from leaking out the sides, works like a charm. In terms of aesthetics, well, the back faces the wall and the way it’s positioned you can’t see the tank from the sides. So it’s irrelevant.

Let me know what you think.

post-17420-1140661154_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Unfortunately, there is a problem with the light; it gives off way too much heat. It increased my tanks temp by 3 degrees! I’m thinking of downgrading to a 9w version. Then again I’m not totally sure that will solve the problem?

The light by the way is: Alife DeLight 201 – I don’t recommend it!

Thanks

Unfortunately, there is a problem with the light; it gives off way too much heat. It increased my tanks temp by 3 degrees! I’m thinking of downgrading to a 9w version. Then again I’m not totally sure that will solve the problem?

The light by the way is: Alife DeLight 201 – I don’t recommend it!

You might try a deeper pan to get the light farther away from the glass, like a small bread pan. I’ve seen them at the grocery store, I think my wife uses them for cooking banana bread, and they are about 4” x 9” and 4” deep. Try to put the fans so you get a nice air flow thru your light fixture, maybe with one fan blowing air in & the 2nd fan pulling air out, if you use two fans. Some type of lens might also help with the heat issue.

I also have a little Alife fixture (11 or 13 watt PC?) that I bought really cheap to use for a fuge light, but it came with a black light bulb & I haven’t been able to get it to fire up any replacement bulbs yet.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the suggestions.

It’s funny; being that the Chaeto arrived today I figured I had to make a mod fast. I got a deeper pan and moved the light a good 3 -4” away from the back chambers. If it doesn’t work I’ll try the reverse fan positioning and if that doesn’t work, well, then my tank may just end up being thrown out my window…just kidding.

I can't get over how brilliant this mod is.

Does anyone know if you can do this on the back of an Aquapod too?

Give it a try, then report back here with the results

I'm sure other Aquapod operators would like to know.

OK...I do believe in chaeto, I do believe in chaeto, I do, I do , I do, I do , I do.....for the first time since cycling, I had 0 nitrates today. I almost fell through the floor.

I must come to the conclusion that:

increased lighting-->increased photosynthesis-->growth--->increased plant mass requires protein (read nitrates)---->increased macroalgae mass results in reduction of nitrates in the water (DOH)

It works. SH

Hey guys, I recently removed my refugium light simply because it was emitting too much heat; my tank went up by 3 degrees last night and I tried everything!

So I returned the light and went with a light strip that supports and compact 50/50 – 10W bulb. I know that a pure white would be better but I wanted to know if anyone foresees any issues arising because of this light. So, is it sufficient for Chaeto?

PS What signs should I look out for indicating that it’s not fairing well.

Hey do you think the galaxy light from fostersmith good for chaets? I'm thinking of switching because my palm doesn't do much, but keeping it alive.

Archived