inTank Media Baskets

Easy Refugium Fuge Light for the Nano Cube

steelhealr

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi......someone cruised into my 24G thread (Roc510) and alerted me to a DIY posted by Bobalouy on how to create a fuge light for a Nano Cube. When I saw it, I couldn't believe how ridiculously simple it was to do and it appears that this DIY can easily end the need for re-wiring, LED lights and heat issues. I had to give it a try.

First off, let me say that this was NOT my idea; NOT my DIY. I first noted it on Bobalouy's thread. This mod has been used by trumph, diverkk and shao-lin nano. Chris at nanocustoms stated that Matt Gecko used it first. Indeed, he has a post of it dated about March '05 I believe. However, it didn't seem well documented by photos, so, I'm trying to do this up right for newcomers. Here goes, it's easy:

1) Get a razor blade and score a rectangle over the borders of the rear chamber from the back:

fuge1.jpg

2) Being careful not to cut your fingers or the wire, simply peel back the thin vinyl layer on the back of the cube's wall:

fuge2.jpg

3) Complete a square over the area. Here, you can see my chaeto which has done well under my submersible 10 watt halogen bulb:

fuge3.jpg

4) I chose to try out Bobalouy's recommendation, a small Palm Light that you can buy from Drs. Foster and Smith. I'll keep my other light going to be safe that there is no die off:

fuge4.jpg

5) The light actually clips easily onto the wires leading down from the cube's hood and adjusts easily with a goose neck:

fuge5.jpg

It appears that you can use any type of PC back there if the Palm doesn't do well for you. Well..here goes. Time to get a bigger power strip. SH

I just bought a new 2006 24ga nanocube. The back of the chamber isnt vinyl. It seems like some sort of hard plastic. I was just wondering if thats what you cut?

I"m not sure what the new ones are like, but, I thought it looked like plastic too. The pre-2006 NC has a thick vinyl layer over the back which would look like plastic...afterall, who knew to cut it in the first place? You could try a small corner with a razor and see. SH

i've got a 2006(I think). It came with a manufacture date, but not the surface skimmer.

anyways, it is vinyl back there in the 24g 2006 cube. and i'm sure someone figured it out when they had a cracked cube and wanted to see what it was made of

I just set up my second chamber fuge and was wondring if by having this fuge I could increase my bioload of my tank?? Meaning could I get another fish??

if they are 2 inches then yes you can get another fish. When I added my fish I added, how many would be best for my tank. I usually calculate every 1-2inches fish for each 4 gallon. I have 12 gallon, so I can only place 3. Plus I have alot of corals in my tank coming soon.

OK....I went to Home Depot to pick up the light fixture was mentioned above. It is about $6:

nano155.jpg

I already had this light bulb at home. It costs about $7:

SL.jpg

OK...I rigged it up, compared the two lights...check it out:

nano156.jpg

Compare the colors.....MUCH MORE YELLOWER than the small compact PC. Although that bulb has more watts, the light is not the same spectrum. SH

Wow, what a mod!!! I've been contemplating a fuge light for about 3 months. Saw this thread yesterday and it's already done. Kudos to whoever first thought this up.

I already had this light bulb at home. It costs about $7:

SL.jpg

Compare the colors.....MUCH MORE YELLOWER than the small compact PC. Although that bulb has more watts, the light is not the same spectrum. SH

Any idea what the spectrum on that twist CF bulb is? It looks like 2700K is pretty standard, but they do come in 4100K and 5000K according to this place: http://www.bulbs.com/products/product.asp?...ducts&class=816

I already have one of those clamp lights, so I'd love to just be able to get a bulb for it. Anyone know if the 4100K or 5000K bulbs would be better for the chaeto? Or do people think the yellow one might work?

stoney waters
Anyone know if the 4100K or 5000K bulbs would be better for the chaeto? Or do people think the yellow one might work?

Intensity would be more important than color temp for growing macro. IMO

hey this is as close to my light I can find

http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/PROD/Spiral/2801351

mine is 5750k and is white not yellow! I moved the light away from tank a little I do not have it flush with back wall now due to color of cheato. the cheato is looking better with light about 4 to 5 inches away. The cheato in the middle where light was most intense was not dark green but a little lighter green. Now having it away from tank does get the light bleeding out into the room though but cheato is green all over and doubling its size

hey this is as close to my light I can find

http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/PROD/Spiral/2801351

mine is 5750k and is white not yellow! I moved the light away from tank a little I do not have it flush with back wall now due to color of cheato. the cheato is looking better with light about 4 to 5 inches away. The cheato in the middle where light was most intense was not dark green but a little lighter green. Now having it away from tank does get the light bleeding out into the room though but cheato is green all over and doubling its size

That will do, 5....k.

FYI...for those with disposable income, Costco today had an 'executive lamp' on sale for $27. It had 4 mini tubes of PC light and about 27 watts....perfect for the back fuge if you don't mind putting an 'executive light' behind a saltkreep encrusted marine tank. It could fold into angles so that the lamp would be parallel with the back of the fuge. Keep in mind...the larger light on Drs. F/S, the Galaxy light, is also $27..without shipping. SH

• 2 weeks later...

I know...is that amazing? And...it almost looks like a great ad for growing hair...look at the growth on that stuff. As mentioned above, I was walking thru Costco and saw a lamp called an Executive Lamp, claiming it was bright white light like outdoors and 'healthier'. I lifted it up and saw 4 banks of compact PC's under there. Perfect. It has two elbows with screws so I can fold it into a chair shape with the light perpendicular to the glass. $27. However, the Galaxy light, next step up from the Palm Light on Drs. Fostersmith, is the same price but has shipping costs. 27watts of PC. SH

Archived