Top Shelf Aquatics

Easy Refugium Fuge Light for the Nano Cube

steelhealr

silverteen - which light did you use for this mod? Were you able to use Velcro all the way around the light? I didn't snap any pictures at night of the back of my tank, but there is very minimal light spill over. However, if you're not using the Nanocustoms LED light, you might not be able to use Velcro all the way around due to heat issues. Also, how high up on the tank is yours mounted? I have absolutely no light spill over on the inside of my tank, but mine is mounted as low as possible.

No spill over in the display. The moonlight might be helping a bit.

9p-9a%20tank.jpg

For those interested in the Nanocustoms Fuge Light, it seems to be working quite well. I don't remember how much Chaeto went in originally, but here's what was back there over the weekend.

top%20chaeto.jpg

side%20chaeto.jpg

This is what I put back in, so I'll check again in a few weeks and compare.

thnd%20chaeto%20top.jpg

thnd%20chaeto%20side.jpg

Temp 80.1

pH 8.23

Nitrate <5

Phosphate <.03

Alkalinity 8.8

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nice cheato growth. i found and easy DIY fuge light on here, back a few pages, and i found most of the parts in my house and at work. i went out today and got everything else except for the bulb itself. i spent about $15 already and probbaly another $10 for the bulb. so i wont be getting the LED light now. saved me about $75 that i can put towards the 1x70 MH kit.

There you go! Saving money in this hobby is always a plus. I'm sure I could have gone a less expensive route too, but I was really looking for a clean look and was trying to keep the heat down. Plus, the LED light enclosure matches my ballast enclosures, and I couldn't pass that up... j/k. Post some pictures of your DIY when you get it set up.

WOW! I finally got to the end of this thread lol! Some great info and comparison pics. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction Qwank!

~dja1980. Really interested in the LED setup from nanotuners you have for your fuge. I like the clean look of it and the fact you won't have to deal with any heat issues. PLEASE keep us updated on the chaeto growth! If your getting the same results as a PC bulb im def gonna go this route B)

~dja1980. Really interested in the LED setup from nanotuners you have for your fuge. I like the clean look of it and the fact you won't have to deal with any heat issues. PLEASE keep us updated on the chaeto growth! If your getting the same results as a PC bulb im def gonna go this route B)

Not a problem. I will definitely keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on posts...I have the 5.1 LED unit on order. Fighting the Nitrate battle for Zoanthid health !!!. With weekly W/C ( Alternate 25%,50%,25%,50%...ect ) have not been able to get below around 8%...Just a 12G NC...medium bioload.

Question...Plan is to put just live rock rubble ( 2-3" ) and Chaeto atop that. Is sand/mud optional ?? My goal is really Nitrate extraction. Pod production is not a real goal. Tank only has one mature and nasty T.B.Clown. I am sure, that if he could see pods...he WOULD eat them !!

If pod production were a goal though....could a NC be moded by placing the MJ900 inside the first chamber, drawing MT water in thru the baffle wall...and headed towards chamber 2 and 3 ?????. The pump could be positioned at the top of chamber 1. The original intake be modified for powered intake...and the 1/2' diam. output opened into a slot ????? Thus, providing pod transport minus " blender action "???Only problem may be the intake port inside the tank would need some type diffuser to prevent animal injury !!!

Has anyone put a HOB Refugium...on the side of a nano??? Reason I ask is that the Refugium " planted look " IMHO ...is nice to look at....hmmmm....well...at least in pictures it is !!!

Thanks for ALL your posts !!!

CDC

NanoCube-boy

I got a situation with my chaets... I haven't have time to clean my fuge window on my nanocube lately and my chaets are fading. I barely have any left, but other aglaes are growing on it. What should I do? How doyou guys clean your chaets from detrius? My detrius grow hairy algaes.

1. should buy new chaets and just toss this set away? Also clean the window more often?

2. clean my chaets out and sort from other aglaes see if it grows back?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i had some time today so i put on the thinking cap and started my fuge lighting project. The bulb i got was 17W Daytime (Sunlight) bulb. Its rated at 5500k. Its a normal screw in bulb. I bought the bulb, the socket and wired it myself. The box is just a plain box lined with foil (shiny side out). Here are some shots. Its not pretty, but you cant see it at all unless you reach your head behind my tank. There is a tad of light that leaks, but its nothing bad. Going to the light at night when my others are off. So my tank doesnt heat up to much.

I think i need to get something to put between the glass and bulb. I was thinking about some of that stuff that ceiling flo setups have....wondering if that would defuse the light to much?

p4031101largeuh2.jpg

p4031102largeui6.jpg

p4031103largenf7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
NanoCube-boy

Highlife, notice any chaets growing?

guys, I really need help, my chaets are fade slowly, and I been clean my window weekly.The chaets doesn't look good, I don't know if it's the light, or the way i set it up, before it grow so much, now it just fading, but with a other glob of other unwanted algae. I don't know why? Help...

I ask the question earlier, but doesn't seem nothing...

Nano-cube boy i've just noticed the same problem as you, green hair algae on the light window, the chaeto still looks healthy but not as healhty as it has been.

i rinsed the chaeto in the saltwater i took out of my tank when doing a water change, tried to get any hair algae off the chaeto itself and scraped the window clean.

the hair algae on the window will have been blocking light into the refuge so thats prob why there not as healthy.

hopefully this will help my cheato.

Im going to rinse the chaeto every time i do a water change and clean the light window.

NanoCube-boy

Silverteen, THANK YOU!!!!. You are so cool to answer my question, I been waiting for awhile.

Do you see any improvement of your chaets?

Yeah ive noticed the cheato growing well and appearing more healthy, i added it about 4 weeks ago and its doubled in size, you can see it the first pic how much i bought of a seller on ebay and today the amout ive got when i took it out to rinse, its not that clear the size diff because the first photo shows it in a bag, but trust me it much larger and packed more tightly.

In a few weeks im going to have to start taking some out as the fuge is full, people pay up to £10 on ebay for a good handful so it can help pay for some frags! :)

post-19299-1177535079_thumb.jpg

post-19299-1177535219_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
mytoesarecrazy
This thread inspired me to put a fuge in my tank. I placed it in chamber 3, not because I thought it as the best place, but because it was really the only place left to put it. Chamber 2 would have been the ideal place but it was already occupied by a skimmer. I made a dividing wall out of egg crate lighting deflector and some fiberglass screen. I just placed it in chamber alongside the pump to separate it from the macro. PITA, maybe, but if it wasn't for PITA I probably would have lost interest in this tank a long time ago.

Stoney Waters - You created you dividing wall with egg crate and fiberglass screen; is the fiberglass screen the same material used on a homes window screen? If so, how is it it working for you; still holding up ok in the saltwater? If its not the same material as a homes window screen, where did you pick it up at?

Thanks for you time.

post-28949-1182793116_thumb.jpg

post-28949-1182793169_thumb.jpg

That mesh that comes under a pizza (when you have pizza delivered from certain places) works really well... that's what I use. You can also find the mesh in the hobby section of some retail stores. I'm sure you could also find it at Hobby Lobby or Michaels too.

stoney waters
Stoney Waters - You created you dividing wall with egg crate and fiberglass screen; is the fiberglass screen the same material used on a homes window screen? If so, how is it it working for you; still holding up ok in the saltwater? If its not the same material as a homes window screen, where did you pick it up at?

Thanks for you time.

Sorry, I didn't see your post untill now.

Yes, I used a pet proof type fiberglass screen. It has a larger weave. I bought it at Menard's to use on a sliding screen door. I would imagine HD and Lowe's would carry something similar.

It is still holding up fine. No problems at all.

• 7 months later...

I Love this idea, brilliant! I hope the back of the Biocube can be scraped off too. I've been looking for lighting ideas for the refugium for 2 weeks now and this is just so easy it's Brilliant. B)

I Love this idea, brilliant! I hope the back of the Biocube can be scraped off too. I've been looking for lighting ideas for the refugium for 2 weeks now and this is just so easy it's Brilliant. B)

Which light are you going to go with... LED?

Which light are you going to go with... LED?

I was thinking one of these, don't know whats the better colour spectrum is for chetto

both have the same Dimensions: 9" x 5" x 2"

2-9 watt 6700K compact fluorescent lamps

mini-fw-t.jpg

9" Mini Aqualight includes 9 watt 10,000K daylight and 9 watt True Actinic 03 Blue compact fluorescent lamps

mini-sw-t.jpg

both cost the same, $27

Plus the size is perfect. It's almost exactly the size I cut out in the back and it's slim. and velcro sound like a good idea to stick it on there, saw some heavy duty stuff at home depot today that should hold it on there no problem.

6700K is better for chetto, however, I must warn you that those lamps will run very hot. I had the 6700K model of the ones you posted and ended up returning it due to heat. I exchanged it for the Nanocustoms 5.1 LED fixture... zero heat and works great!

hmmmm. I will look into it some more, I was thinking of going to the local Asian fish (Dragon Aquariums) store to see if they have any cheap lights, they might have some no name brand Asian sweatshop lights for cheap.

I found an even better light for my project. in the reptile section,

The Exo Terra Compact Top Canopy is a compact fluorescent terrarium canopy designed for use with the Exo Terra Glass Terrarium. This easy-to-install canopy accommodates compact fluorescent bulbs or low wattage incandescent bulbs.

compact_top.jpg

The bottom one 30 x 9 x 15 cm 11.8" x 3.5" x 5.9" and it takes those twisty lights that everyone recommends.

I have a lot of free time to look around for this crap, I'm on the road all day. and there is like 10 reef shops within 20km of my route. hope my boss doesn't find out, .lol .

Archived